Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VOIP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Post Reply
Medelm
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Brisbane

Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VOIP

Post by Medelm » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:28 pm

Hey guys. I have read alot of the threads on here regarding receiving calls on my iphone through my DID (exetel voip). I have tried Fring/Truphone and many others with limited success. Most of the apps would work but after a period of time they would disconnect and not receive calls. Sometimes I would be connected and not work, then they would. I would like to know your thoughts on what the best app for always being available to receive calls on an iphone is. I dont mind paying for an app that will work, I have only tried most of the free ones.

Thanks

User avatar
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:57 pm

This might help - viewtopic.php?f=58&t=36172. There are other threads also

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:12 pm

Medelm wrote:Hey guys. I have read alot of the threads on here regarding receiving calls on my iphone through my DID (exetel voip). I have tried Fring/Truphone and many others with limited success. Most of the apps would work but after a period of time they would disconnect and not receive calls. Sometimes I would be connected and not work, then they would. I would like to know your thoughts on what the best app for always being available to receive calls on an iphone is. I dont mind paying for an app that will work, I have only tried most of the free ones.

Thanks
I would think the best one currently is probably Acrobits Softphone although it's not cheap, almost $25 if you get the additional G729 codec, whether it's that much better than the very reasonably priced Exetel MoIP app is something only you can decide as the price difference between the two is huge

remoteone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Location: Macclesfield SA

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by remoteone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:20 am

Hi Jokiin,
Acrobits Softphone seems to be a good option, but has stopped working on my iPhone4.
I suggest the need for a Dedicated VoIP Sub-Forum Topics to assist users of various SIP apps to get their Voip working and address their App-specific issues.
Perhaps (for example) separate Sub-Forum Topics for "VoIP>iPhone>Acrobits Softphone","VoIP>Symbian>MoIP" and "VoIP>iPhone>NetDial".

Is there already an FAQ or other reference from the Exetel Team that deals specifically with setting up various VoIP app for use with the Exetel service?

Cheers.

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by jokiin » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:30 pm

remoteone wrote:Hi Jokiin,
Acrobits Softphone seems to be a good option, but has stopped working on my iPhone4.
have you got any other accounts setup on the phone, is it only Exetel that is not working for you or others also?

in other words are you having a problem with the app or is it Exetel specific?

what model phone have you got, which iOS version, which Acrobits version, jailbroken yes/no

when you say not working can you be a bit more specific, any error message, can't login, can't dial out, can't receive calls, app crashes etc

have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling and setting up from scratch, tried a restore on the phone etc

the more detailed info you can provide the better

remoteone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Location: Macclesfield SA

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by remoteone » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi Jokiin,
Acrobits helped with a solution - leave the Caller ID box EMPTY - that temporarily fixed it .
BUT a new twist.. Now Having other big problems with Acrobits Softphone on iOS4.1 iphone4.
Im beginning to think the problems may possibly be related to the Exetel service and/or iPhone iOS4.1 and/or a clash between Exetel Moip app and acrobits.....but not sure.
- Both Moip & Acrobits apps are set to the same account.( Testing Voip with another Moip account on an old JB iPhone 3G iOS3.1.2 wifi only.)
- Only using Exetel as Voip Provider for 2 Voip account Numbers .
- Perhaps the Moip app is clashing with AcroBits app

Moip problems (iPhone 4):
Wont notify Moip of incoming calls (MoIP is running, Acrobits not running, nor hibinated) - Acrobits notification instead - understandable in some respects.
Wont notify Siphon app of incoming Moip call to Test phone.
Will notify Moip app of incoming Moip call to Test phone.

Acrobits problems:
Via Exetel/Optus 3G network.
1. Registers ok with Exetel VoIP accounts.
2. Outgoing Calls to Mobiles and Landline numbers work
3. Outgoing calls to My other VoIP numbers will sometimes ring but the outgoing ring tone is not a normal ring indicator, its more like a constant Busy tone.
When it rings the other phone, the audio quality is crap.
4. Incoming calls:
a. Incoming Exetel VoIP, LandLine & Mobile calls ONLY ring the SIPphone (push notifications) when the Softphone is Hibernating or Not running.
b. If the app is in the foreground, registered to Exetel Voip number, there in NO Incoming call notification at all and the calling number gets the "Number Unavailable" message.
This is odd since the Softphone is showing as registered.
c. Incoming Calls will not Notify, regardless of the Acrobits Softphone state (not Hibinated, running nor Off) !
5. When incoming call is notified I now get a new message :
Incoming Call
Waiting for ring
[cancel] [Callback]

which is completely inappropriate and useless, but the call can be accepted after waiting about 10 sec for Acrobits to close the windo and accepts the call.

Adding to the confusion,
When I first installed this app, it worked fine,. Then stopped working, Acrobits Support suggested leaving Caller ID box "blank" . This fixed the problem.
Now , out of the blue, without messing w any settings it stops working again.
Updated to latest version, but now seems.
I'll contact Acrobits about this also and post any solution here.
Any solid ideas will be greatly apreciated.
Cheers

CorporateVoIP

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by CorporateVoIP » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:50 pm

We have tested Acrobits here in the office and the results we as good as PSTN using both G.711 and G.729A. This was with an iPhone4 on both wifi and 3g.

See Pasan's advise in the thread listed above regarding blocking of caller ID and our suppliers.

Also be aware that masking a VoIP number (which gets essentially seen as a landline) with a mobile number may cause call failure with certain suppliers.

We have a couple of customers using Counterpath Bria with both SIP trunks and our VirtualPABX who also report good success and call quaity.

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by jokiin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 am

remoteone wrote:Hi Jokiin,
Acrobits helped with a solution - leave the Caller ID box EMPTY - that temporarily fixed it .
BUT a new twist.. Now Having other big problems with Acrobits Softphone on iOS4.1 iphone4.
Im beginning to think the problems may possibly be related to the Exetel service and/or iPhone iOS4.1 and/or a clash between Exetel Moip app and acrobits.....but not sure.
- Both Moip & Acrobits apps are set to the same account.( Testing Voip with another Moip account on an old JB iPhone 3G iOS3.1.2 wifi only.)
- Only using Exetel as Voip Provider for 2 Voip account Numbers .
- Perhaps the Moip app is clashing with AcroBits app

Moip problems (iPhone 4):
Wont notify Moip of incoming calls (MoIP is running, Acrobits not running, nor hibinated) - Acrobits notification instead - understandable in some respects.
Wont notify Siphon app of incoming Moip call to Test phone.
Will notify Moip app of incoming Moip call to Test phone.

Acrobits problems:
Via Exetel/Optus 3G network.
1. Registers ok with Exetel VoIP accounts.
2. Outgoing Calls to Mobiles and Landline numbers work
3. Outgoing calls to My other VoIP numbers will sometimes ring but the outgoing ring tone is not a normal ring indicator, its more like a constant Busy tone.
When it rings the other phone, the audio quality is crap.
4. Incoming calls:
a. Incoming Exetel VoIP, LandLine & Mobile calls ONLY ring the SIPphone (push notifications) when the Softphone is Hibernating or Not running.
b. If the app is in the foreground, registered to Exetel Voip number, there in NO Incoming call notification at all and the calling number gets the "Number Unavailable" message.
This is odd since the Softphone is showing as registered.
c. Incoming Calls will not Notify, regardless of the Acrobits Softphone state (not Hibinated, running nor Off) !
5. When incoming call is notified I now get a new message :
Incoming Call
Waiting for ring
[cancel] [Callback]

which is completely inappropriate and useless, but the call can be accepted after waiting about 10 sec for Acrobits to close the windo and accepts the call.

Adding to the confusion,
When I first installed this app, it worked fine,. Then stopped working, Acrobits Support suggested leaving Caller ID box "blank" . This fixed the problem.
Now , out of the blue, without messing w any settings it stops working again.
Updated to latest version, but now seems.
I'll contact Acrobits about this also and post any solution here.
Any solid ideas will be greatly apreciated.
Cheers
couple of things I'll ask you to clarify with Acrobits, did you purchase the G729 codec, have you get it set to push incoming calls, are you using an account that's not in use anywhere else, your ATA at home etc, when you updated the app to the new version did you kill the app from the task list and then restart the app?

I find Acrobits to work very well but if you can just confirm these few points first we can look at some troubleshooting

remoteone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Location: Macclesfield SA

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by remoteone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:24 am

Hi Thanks for the attention, info:
1. Yep, using the g729 codec.
2. Yes is set to "push incoming calls".
3. The account's not in use anywhere else, apart from Exetel Moip app which also uses the same account. but Moip does not multitask and problem is the same if Moip is killed or running. Also tried with Moip on different account , still the same problem w Acrobits.
4. Re: killing the app , do you mean did I kill it before updating or after? Ive killed n restarted it about 100 time since updating..
Cheers

remoteone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:36 pm
Location: Macclesfield SA

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by remoteone » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 am

jokiin wrote: have you got any other accounts setup on the phone, is it only Exetel that is not working for you or others also?
in other words are you having a problem with the app or is it Exetel specific?
Only have Exetel Voip account so could not test with other accounts.

what model phone have you got, which iOS version, which Acrobits version, jailbroken yes/no
iOS4.1, iphone4 , not JB, Latest Acrobits version

have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling and setting up from scratch, tried a restore on the phone etc
Not yet, will try.

User avatar
jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 2970
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Best app for recieving calls on iPhone through Exetel VO

Post by jokiin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:17 am

remoteone wrote:Hi Thanks for the attention, info:
1. Yep, using the g729 codec.
2. Yes is set to "push incoming calls".
3. The account's not in use anywhere else, apart from Exetel Moip app which also uses the same account. but Moip does not multitask and problem is the same if Moip is killed or running. Also tried with Moip on different account , still the same problem w Acrobits.
4. Re: killing the app , do you mean did I kill it before updating or after? Ive killed n restarted it about 100 time since updating..
Cheers
1. good as this rules out any codec handshake problems, make sure you set your preferences as well for 3G and Wi-Fi in the settings
2. ok good
3. when using push with Acrobits your registration is handled by their server so it knows where to find you and push the notification to you, registration lasts 3 days, opening another app with this same account running will break things though, suggest sticking to Acrobits and troubleshoot the problem without trying it in another app
4. I mean double click home, press and hold the icon until you get the delete option and then ending the task then relaunch, if you do an update to the app and it was backgrounded at the time it won't login correctly after and needs to be killed first

Deleting the app and reinstalling fresh will wipe any erroneous settings you may have and can be an option also, as can a restore on the phone, the app certainly can and does work fine so something is out of sorts in your case

Post Reply