+61 support with voip.

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Dimand

+61 support with voip.

Post by Dimand » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:17 pm

The quick search I did on this showed that the last thread is over a year old, so here is a new one.

When i try and call out using the sip client on my mobile to another mobile, I have to have the number in 04xxxxxxxx format.
If i try and call in +614xxxxxxxx format, it doesn't work.

Is this a setting i have wrong on my phone, or a common problem?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: +61 support with voip.

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:04 am

It's normal. Mobile phones use the international ITU-T E.123 format. PSTN and the VoIP system use the standard national format. This happens with mobile calls in E.123 that are saved for call back, that you wish to direct to VoIP from your mobile.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:16 am

Dimand wrote:
Is this a setting i have wrong on my phone, or a common problem?
that can depend on the phone, some mobile SIP clients can strip the + or any other unwanted digits so that you can leave your phone book format as is

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:21 am

I use the Counterpath Bria SIP client on my iPhone, and configure it so that it replaces +614 with 04, or + with 0011 for any international numbers. This allows me to keep the contacts in the format I prefer.

When I used to travel overseas a lot, most if not all, mobile carriers would correctly interpret the the '+' as the symbol for accessing the international dialling code (varies from country to country), so I became very dependant on having all my numbers with '+<country code><area code><number>', so that regardless of which country I was in, I didn't have to worry about the phone number format.

VoIP carriers don't seem to have this in place yet, requiring an absolute number, or a dial plan that will substitute the leading part of the number.

Dimand

Post by Dimand » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:48 am

ok. so if i want to keep numbers in +61 format i'll have to chang my sip client to edit my contact numbers.

I think i can eventualy manage that.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:08 am

Klaas wrote:I use the Counterpath Bria SIP client on my iPhone, and configure it so that it replaces +614 with 04, or + with 0011 for any international numbers. This allows me to keep the contacts in the format I prefer.

When I used to travel overseas a lot, most if not all, mobile carriers would correctly interpret the the '+' as the symbol for accessing the international dialling code (varies from country to country), so I became very dependant on having all my numbers with '+<country code><area code><number>', so that regardless of which country I was in, I didn't have to worry about the phone number format.

VoIP carriers don't seem to have this in place yet, requiring an absolute number, or a dial plan that will substitute the leading part of the number.
I'm pretty much in the exact situation as yourself and how I use mine

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:04 am

Dimand wrote:ok. so if i want to keep numbers in +61 format i'll have to chang my sip client to edit my contact numbers.

I think i can eventualy manage that.
Which SIP client do you use? Some have a universal setting to remove/replace the '+', and some, like the one I'm using, needs more attention. I've used a number of clients before settling on Bria, so may be able to point you in the right direction.

Dimand

Post by Dimand » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

i'm using the native sip client on my n900. i will probably have to write my own deamon to replace the +61.

if anyone knows an easier way please let me know.