Can't make Calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
chindson

Can't make Calls

Post by chindson » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:29 am

Hi

I just switched onto ADSL2+ Telstra. My VoIP is not allowing outbound calls. Just gives and engaged signal. I've tried resetting password and wiping out and reconfiguring modems. I even loaded up the softphone and tried it, and it just comes back the same. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Craig

outbush

Re: Can't make Calls

Post by outbush » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:43 pm

chindson wrote:Hi

I just switched onto ADSL2+ Telstra. My VoIP is not allowing outbound calls. Just gives and engaged signal. I've tried resetting password and wiping out and reconfiguring modems. I even loaded up the softphone and tried it, and it just comes back the same. Anyone got any ideas? Cheers Craig
More information required.
Is your Internet working?
What modem/router and ATA are you using? (Models)

Lou Tennant

Post by Lou Tennant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:54 pm

It's not going to help you chindson, but I think I have the same problem.
I can call my mobile number okay but not a landline number. I just get a looong pause after dialling and then the engaged tone.

Phone is fully charged, internet working, using Dynalink RTA1046VW

outbush

Post by outbush » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Lou Tennant wrote:It's not going to help you chindson, but I think I have the same problem.
I can call my mobile number okay but not a landline number. I just get a looong pause after dialling and then the engaged tone.

Phone is fully charged, internet working, using Dynalink RTA1046VW
Sounds like an exetel problem not a user problem.
There has been other threads with similar problems

Lou Tennant

Post by Lou Tennant » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 pm

That's what I was hoping, but the Network Status shows as OK. Also My VOIP was working fine yesterday, no settings changed.
Oh well, I'll give it a few hours and then start looking again.

chindson

Post by chindson » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:48 pm

Running a Billion 7404VNOX. Has been working fine. Internet is running fine 15Mbps ASDL2+ . Its not the hardware cause I tried the same SIP account on a minitar box I have here and also on the softphone. No firewalls enabled. I even signed up another DID account to see if it was just the existing account but second account has same problem. It says in the modem is registering and not showing any errors......its got me a little stumped.

pasanm

Post by pasanm » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 pm

chindson wrote:Hi

I just switched onto ADSL2+ Telstra. My VoIP is not allowing outbound calls. Just gives and engaged signal. I've tried resetting password and wiping out and reconfiguring modems. I even loaded up the softphone and tried it, and it just comes back the same. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Craig
Hi

we haven't received any call requests from your voip number recently. a firewall may blocking your outgoing requests as they haven't reach our voip switch.
There's no problem with the service.

check the device dialplan as well.
mis configured dialplan could fail outgoing calls.

If the dialplan rules doesn't match outgoing call will fail.
Exetel Systems Team

zencloud

Post by zencloud » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:05 pm

I've been a VOIP customer since May and experienced the same problem for the first time today with a setup I haven't touched for months. It happened with 7 different calls in a row, I found that after making the call and getting the engaged tone, I could get it to work only by hitting the redail button.

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:18 pm

Same issue here, been going on for some time now. Posted a thread but no one has offered any input. Can't be bothered logging a job as I rarely use the phone, it's more of a backup to the mobile. Thinking of just ditching it altogether and looing at another VOIP provider. I'm using an OPEN Networks modem/router, settings have been the same since I set it up. Seems to be quite a few people having issues, yet Exetel say it's not the service????

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm

Waughy, I've seen your post, but have nothing to offer. A while ago some Exetel SIP changes left plenty of Billions non-functional, but that was reversed. I find Billions/Opens to be the most difficult to get right ATAs around, and they certainly dominate the VoIP forums here and elsewhere. I would however try swapping any ALG setting you have to see if it makes a difference (Billion seems to interpret SIP ALG differently).

PS ALG and port forward (if used) are related on Billion 7404s

Waughy

Post by Waughy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:46 pm

Thanks. I'll look into it again and see if I've missed anything. But as I said, once I initially set it up it worked without issue for quite a few months, then the problem seemed to occur all of a sudden. I can't really afford to try new equipment at the moment, and don't see why I should, the OPEN has been flawless otherwise since I purchased it.