Good iphone voip app?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
CordlezToaster

Good iphone voip app?

Post by CordlezToaster » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:16 pm

Can someone recommend me a good iphone voip app?

Im tossing up between Bria and acrobits.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Good iphone voip app?

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:01 pm

CordlezToaster wrote:Can someone recommend me a good iphone voip app?

if you want incoming calls go with Acrobits, otherwise there's not a lot between them, I have both, the interface on Bria is very nice but I feel Acrobits is a better all round application, not that Bria is bad at all, I'm sure you could be equally happy with either

vbap

Post by vbap » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:23 am

I have been using Acrobits v4.2 on an iPhone 4 with Telstra Pre-paid for the last few days and must say I am quite impressed. I used to have a Nokia E71 on Three and tried various SIP options. I don't know if it's Acrobits or using Telstra or even the "usability" of the iPhone, but this combination really appears rock solid and for the first time I have a high level of confidence in a practically VoIP only option for a mobile phone...

I am only using for outgoing calls, since I still use my mobile number as main contact. I also feel, even with Acrobits using push for inbound, battery life suffers (or maybe that's because I have about half a dozen VoIP accounts registered during my testing???)

I notice that using DTMF on Ac robits, there is no audio feedback when numbers are pressed, so it's hard to tell if I pressed the button or not (DTMF works OK, just no audio feedback when button pressed).

Now wondering whether optus / vodafone coverage and network would give me the same experience... (generally in Melbourne CBD)...Might go get a vodafone $2 sim at lunch an test it out...

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:09 am

CordlezToaster wrote:Can someone recommend me a good iphone voip app?

What do you see wrong with the Exetel app?

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:34 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:What do you see wrong with the Exetel app?
Acrobits seems to work better with my contacts (where all phone numbers are formatted in "+" format with hyphens/brackets etc). It allows me to generate rules to re-format numbers for different VSPs.
Acrobits also allows other VoIP providers to be entered (for the rare occasion Exetel VoIp is down)
I also prefer not to register my VoIP for inbound calls -> MoIP does not seem to have an option for outbound only.
For me, it needs to have speaker phone / mute options, since I am often in conference calls
A more "professional" "skin" wouldn't go astray either

remoteone

Post by remoteone » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:09 am

ForumAdmin wrote:What do you see wrong with the Exetel app?
Exetel Moip app seems to still be an infant compared to other SIP apps, and it still has some bugs:
1. Some phone numbers, in contacts, Crash the app. Ive tried ensuring theres no spaces or odd chr's in the number(s) but Moip just crashes out when selecting certain numbers from the contacts list. If the number is typed in manually, it works ok.
2. No support for Speaker Phone or Phone recording etc. Other SIP apps have these features.
3. The whole user interface is kind of clunky and odd,
Exetel MoIP has the potential to be, for Exetel users, a great App that is really easy to set-up, it just needs more development.
Since 'vbap' has experinced similar problems, is clear to me that theres more work to be done on MoIP.

On the up-side, there's the ability to either send SMS or make a Voip Call from the same app, and easy to set-up.

The issue described in 1. above was basically denied existence by Exetel Support and they just closed off my Support Ticket without any attempt to resolve, nor any official recognition of the issue.
I was using AcroBits SIP phone. But that has just stopped working. Ive made no changes to any settings, it just went from working to not-working one day.
AcroBits seems like a good Voip App. I'm thinking Exetel have changed something in their Voip backend that is now creating an error with AcroBits SIP.
I might start a specific thread to address AcroBits issues.

Klaas

Post by Klaas » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:28 am

remoteone wrote: I was using AcroBits SIP phone. But that has just stopped working. Ive made no changes to any settings, it just went from working to not-working one day.
AcroBits seems like a good Voip App. I'm thinking Exetel have changed something in their Voip backend that is now creating an error with AcroBits SIP.
I might start a specific thread to address AcroBits issues.
Acrobits Softphone is working fine for me - I'm using it with two Exetel VoIp services and don't have problems with it - that's on an iPhone 3G, and set up for outbound calls only. Inbound calls go straight to voicemail, and I get an email notification of the message.

username4me

Post by username4me » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:39 pm

I've been using "Siphon" with Exetel VoIP for about 6 months and it works great over WiFi and Optus 3G on an iPhone 3G/iOS3.1.2 - perfect call quality and the app looks professional, just like the iPhone "Phone" application, not some amateur toy application.
Unfortunately its broken on my new iPhone 4/iOS4.1 - a beta version 2.3.0 RC4 exists, I haven't figured out how to install it yet.