Calls to telstra landlines show as "overseas"

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
zaxapod

Calls to telstra landlines show as "overseas"

Post by zaxapod » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:02 pm

I've just noticed that calls to telstra landlines from my exetel voip are showing on their caller ID as "overseas". Is there any way to stop this?

If I have outgoing caller ID on its showing my DID 07 **** ****, but its also showing as "overseas".

If I have no Caller ID outgoing it just shows "overseas". I'm sure until just recently it just used to say "private".

I haven't seen any settings on the VOIP setup pages about this, has something changed at exetel's end?

Shazir
Exetel Staff

Re: Calls to telstra landlines show as "overseas"

Post by Shazir » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:55 am

zaxapod wrote:I've just noticed that calls to telstra landlines from my exetel voip are showing on their caller ID as "overseas". Is there any way to stop this?

If I have outgoing caller ID on its showing my DID 07 **** ****, but its also showing as "overseas".

If I have no Caller ID outgoing it just shows "overseas". I'm sure until just recently it just used to say "private".

I haven't seen any settings on the VOIP setup pages about this, has something changed at exetel's end?
Please email voip@exetel.com.au so that one of the VOIP engineers could further investigated this for you, thank you.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:06 pm

zaxapod wrote:I've just noticed that calls to telstra landlines from my exetel voip are showing on their caller ID as "overseas". Is there any way to stop this?

have you got anything in the display name field currently in your ATA?

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:23 pm

jokiin wrote: have you got anything in the display name field currently in your ATA?
I think I just have the DID in the display name, I'll check it when I get home, but its also doing it from eyebeam softphone where I'm using it now on HSPA.
The display name here on eyebeam is 07******** Would it be better if I changed the display name to +61 7******** ?

These settings have been unchanged for over a year, and its only just started doing this "overseas" thing, so I dunno, maybe its exetel doing something different, or maybe telstra. I will send an email to support though, see if they can help.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:19 pm

Maybe worth trying with nothing in the name field and comparing results

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 am

Edit: Exetel have now responded, so we'll see what happens.

This problem of "overseas" is actually quite significant, some businesses just don't answer calls showing as "overseas" as its usually just telemarketing, I have some business calls to make now so I'll have to use Telstra (and they have made some offers that are not that much dearer than VOIP now surprisingly). Maybe I'll just use exetel for overseas calls, so I hope exetel can sort it out.

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:37 pm

Strange, Don't know why this doesn't affect other accounts, I just deleted my exetel voip account and started a new one, still shows the same thing "overseas" on telstra landlines, but I've also tried voip calls from other suppliers and they don't do it. They either show "private" or the correct caller ID if its enabled - no sign of the dreaded "overseas" call ID.

Exetel can't find anything wrong, so there's nothing they can change, maybe its telstra's fault.

CorporateVoIP

Post by CorporateVoIP » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:08 am

One of our ridiculously experienced VoIP customers in Brisbane believes it has something to do with a second CallerID field telstra has implemented. Most calls to most phones will show the number but some will show "overseas" in place of the second CallerID field which is used to deliver the registered users name on the "spectrum" service infrastructure. He's been working with us to find a solution and doesn't believe it's our systems.