Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
mart
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: Lismore

Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by mart » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:39 am

Hi,
I have had this issue for the last few days. When you make an outgoing call you just hear one brief ringing sound then abrupt silence. Usually I would just hang up and dial again via PSTN, but when someone answered the call I realised it was still ringing on the other end of the line (at least that time it was). Its hard to know if anything is happening - you dial the number then listen to the silence wondering if someone will answer.

The calls don't show in the user facilities (because they haven't been answered)

In the call log of the modem (RTA1046VW) at one point I saw silly stuff like three outgoing calls made within a minute of each other (which was correct) but each of the calls had a similar (not identical) duration of 7 minutes and a few seconds.

I have factory reset the modem, upgraded the firmware, tried the second VOIP port, tried different handsets, tried without the line filter. Tried different codecs, tried changing the SIP register with expired time to 1800, enbaled and disabled the SIP ALG option.

I haven't seen any rubbish in the call log since the reset/firmware upgrade.

I have pretty much exhausted my limited troubleshooting skills.

Any suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks,
Marty.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 am

This has been going on for a week. It seemed intermittent at first, but now is constant, and only occurs with VoIP calls to Telstra PSTN numbers in my experience. VoIp to VoIP is normal.

The ring tones either don't occur, or consist of a brief bip followed by silence. After the call is answered things proceed normally. I'm using a Dynalink at present, I haven't tried one of the other ATAs yet.

sable
Posts: 651
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:28 am
Location: NSW

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by sable » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:29 am

There was voIP maintence carried out on 27 Oct 10 and 8 Nov 10.

Maybe changes made have caused this.

Have not noticed any problems with Billions this time, thank goodness!

mart
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 am
Location: Lismore

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by mart » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:This has been going on for a week. It seemed intermittent at first, but now is constant, and only occurs with VoIP calls to Telstra PSTN numbers in my experience. VoIp to VoIP is normal.

The ring tones either don't occur, or consist of a brief bip followed by silence. After the call is answered things proceed normally. I'm using a Dynalink at present, I haven't tried one of the other ATAs yet.
Nice to know I'm not alone. I think I agree with you about being intermittent at first, but now constant. I've been trying to find a pattern as to when it occurs, you might be onto something with the Telstra PSTN numbers.

pasanm
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by pasanm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:46 pm

mart wrote:Hi,
I have had this issue for the last few days. When you make an outgoing call you just hear one brief ringing sound then abrupt silence. Usually I would just hang up and dial again via PSTN, but when someone answered the call I realised it was still ringing on the other end of the line (at least that time it was). Its hard to know if anything is happening - you dial the number then listen to the silence wondering if someone will answer.

The calls don't show in the user facilities (because they haven't been answered)

In the call log of the modem (RTA1046VW) at one point I saw silly stuff like three outgoing calls made within a minute of each other (which was correct) but each of the calls had a similar (not identical) duration of 7 minutes and a few seconds.

I have factory reset the modem, upgraded the firmware, tried the second VOIP port, tried different handsets, tried without the line filter. Tried different codecs, tried changing the SIP register with expired time to 1800, enbaled and disabled the SIP ALG option.

I haven't seen any rubbish in the call log since the reset/firmware upgrade.

I have pretty much exhausted my limited troubleshooting skills.

Any suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks,
Marty.


Hi,
Would you able to give the configuration of your modem ?

can you check the DTMF mode being set in your modem ?
Last edited by pasanm on Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exetel Systems Team

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:44 pm

Pasanm, my Dynalink is set at defaults, and VoIP is configured as recommended. There is no special DTMF setting available. I suspect the ring packet is not being received. This only happens when calling Telstra PSTN services from Exetel VoIP. I wouldn't be surprised if the first moments of the voice reply aren't curtailed either.

pasanm
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by pasanm » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:This has been going on for a week. It seemed intermittent at first, but now is constant, and only occurs with VoIP calls to Telstra PSTN numbers in my experience. VoIp to VoIP is normal.

The ring tones either don't occur, or consist of a brief bip followed by silence. After the call is answered things proceed normally. I'm using a Dynalink at present, I haven't tried one of the other ATAs yet.
Hi

We have tested and replicate the problem.

It's more like a firmware issue in the modem

If any one can get the latest firmware v3.65 for RTA1046VW and test the service again please report with the results.

We will investigate the problem further to see if there any problem with our up stream carriers .
Exetel Systems Team

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:01 pm

v3.65 isn't on either the Australian or NZ Dynalink sites. If you can copy it from a new unit, could it be posted? Even better, persuade Netcomm/Dynalink to put it up.

Dr_Snapid
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Grafton
Contact:

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dr_Snapid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Same issue here. Just did the upgrade. I now have version 3.64y. (this was the latest one i could find, as dazzled says)
Did not fix the problem for me, i just rang my office number, got one very brief ring sound, then silence. When the office picked up, about 15 seconds later, i missed the first few words of the greeting, maybe 2 seconds or so.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Ravenous
Posts: 325
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:44 pm
Location: Brisbane, Qld

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Ravenous » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

I get the same problem (RTA1046VW Firmware: 3.64y). I wondered why the wife was complaining about 1 ring then silence when calling me at work over the last few days (Telstra PSTN). Works fine VoIP to VoIP.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dazzled » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:10 pm

I rang a Telstra number this evening, and got the engaged tone. The problem seems confined to the ring tone, and perhaps a small bit of the conversation.

Baldrick
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Baldrick » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:51 pm

I am now getting a similar thing to this with calls to mobiles on my new Android phone with MoIp. ( All fixed landline & exetel to exetel working properly ) No problems with my fixed ADSL number going through a Linksys ATA.
i.e. Calls to mobiles via Android running CSipSimple, all working brilliantly except mobile phone numbers are not ringing at my end, but they are ringing at receiver end. Made a call to the same mobile phone in Melbourne via my Linksys ata & all worked as expected.
Any idea's what I might need to look for to fix this in my MoIp?
Or is this possibly an issue with exetel servers that will be fixed without my needing to do anything further?

australiana
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:53 pm
Location: Ballina

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by australiana » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Dazzled wrote:v3.65 isn't on either the Australian or NZ Dynalink sites. If you can copy it from a new unit, could it be posted? Even better, persuade Netcomm/Dynalink to put it up.
Is there any movement on this? It must be affecting a lot of users.

pasanm
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm
Location: Sri Lanka
Contact:

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by pasanm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:11 pm

australiana wrote:
Dazzled wrote:v3.65 isn't on either the Australian or NZ Dynalink sites. If you can copy it from a new unit, could it be posted? Even better, persuade Netcomm/Dynalink to put it up.
Is there any movement on this? It must be affecting a lot of users.

Hi All,


The problem has been fixed now and we are continually monitoring this fault further.

We will provide more updates by Monday after investigations are finished.
Exetel Systems Team

Dr_Snapid
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Grafton
Contact:

Re: Can't hear ringing on outgoing call

Post by Dr_Snapid » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:12 pm

not fixed for me. should we have to power cycle modems or anything?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Post Reply