Set up Voip with V220 ATA and Netcomm NB6W

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Snakeman

Set up Voip with V220 ATA and Netcomm NB6W

Post by Snakeman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi,

Can't seem to get out of the gate with this one! I've tried connecting this unit per the 'setup instructions' however, I cannot get my browser to find the 192.168.22.1 address. No control panel, no internet access, nothing at all! When I have everything connected per the instructions, the 'Ethernet' light is yellow, and no light on the 'SIP'.

I've tried the forum search but coming up with nada. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
A.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Set up Voip with V220 ATA and Netcomm NB6W

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:38 pm

The ATA default address 192.168.22.1 is out of range from your computer on your network.

There is a help sheet for a similar unit at http://www.exetel.com.au/files/v210setup.pdf if you haven't found it. Connect the device as per instructions with a computer attached to the LAN port of the ATA. After it is configured you can remount the computer elsewhere if desired. Reboot everything.

When this is done, port forward 5060 UDP, or else set up a DMZ, from the modem/router to the ATA. The modem/router DHCP table will tell you the ATA's new local address.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:32 am

Sweet, that was the problem, thanks!. Had to hook the laptop up to get into the admin panel. After that it was all systems go! Worked great for several days but now is cutting off after a minute of talking or so. VOIP is this close to being filed in the 'too hard basket'!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:05 am

The cheat sheet has all the required magic numbers for the ATA phone configuration, so I would be interested in what you did to the router. A DMZ to the ATA is usually the lazy way out to ensure that all outside internet audio and handshake signals get to the ATA. A default state router protects you from attack by blocking uninvited outsiders.

It is under Virtual Server->DMZ Host. Tick the button marked "Forwarded to the DMZ host" and add the IP address of the ATA in the box. Press apply.

The trick is to find the ATA IP address beforehand. The NB6 status page lists the DHCP table. You should find the address of the ATA in the table.

A DMZ exposes your ATA to the idiots online that perpetually probe you, but they are looking for Windows boxes to attack. An ATA won't respond, or give them any entry to your network.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:16 am

Hey mate, thanks for your help!

What I've done to my router:
1: Assigned a static IP for the ATA under advanced>local network>DHCP server. I added the ATA preferred IP to the 'reserved IP address' list.
2: Setup port forwarding using - external host[IP-All, protocol-UDP, port-5060] internal host[preferred IP, port-5060]
3: Setup the ATA per the instructions.

Everything was working perfectly for a couple of days but has now started playing up. I suspect that I have not properly assigned a permanent IP to the ATA. Under status>DHCP table I can see that the ATA is still using the preferred IP.

Thanks again for the advice! I would like to get this going in this configuration as opposed to setting up a DMZ, not a big fan of being probed!

Cheers!
A.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 am

I'm wondering now, is there somewhere in my router configuration that I need to specify the 192.168.22.1 IP of my ATA?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Snakeman. What follows is about networking, rather than about VoIP.

The default hardware address of the ATA you acquired is 192.168.22.1, The help sheet asked for a factory reset to ensure this is so. It is also a router and can have a sub-network beneath it. What follows is as much about routers as phones.

The default ATA address is not normally in range of anything connected to your modem router at 192.168.1.1, so it simply couldn't be seen. A computer plugged into the ATA LAN port can see it, and you configured that way. One of the configuration items (WAN setting, p3) was to tick the box marked "DHCP client". You then plugged into your modem/router, and rebooted the ATA. The modem router should be in charge of IP addresses (a DHCP Server), and on request from the ATA it leased a new in-range 192.168.1.x address to the ATA (a DHCP client). The old address has vanished.

As a DHCP server, the modem keeps a table of its clients' leased addresses, and you should see the current ATA address there.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Yes, my router has seen and assigned the ATA an IP, which in this instance, is 192.168.1.5. This is the same IP I have used in the port forwarding. I just don't understand how everything was working fine for days and then just stopped working properly. IE: one way communication. All of the troubleshooting guides I could find have all said this is a port forwarding issue, but I can't figure out how when it worked fine, then not, with no settings changes.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:08 pm

If it works for a few minutes the IP address is being found. It seems to me that a necessary registration/handshake packet is going AWL. I don't know why it worked once and now doesn't, but it has the feel of a router issue. One thought from left field is bandwidth. If you haven't set up QoS in the router (ie, give VoIP preference) and one of your computers goes on line simultaneously, you may run out of room for the VoIP packets. Otherwise give the DMZ method a try.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Tried setting up the QoS, still getting one way communication. I've even tried the DMZ a few days ago, don't know if I had it set up correctly though as it did not work either, the same problem persisted. I found this elsewhere:
I'm no expert, but I just went through two weeks of VOIP hell myself. Hope my learnings are of some help

The problem is that your VOIP device is a router itself and will conflict with your LAN router unless the following steps are taken.

(1) You should try to get your VOIP service provider to configure your VOIP router to work in a totally different IP addressing system than 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. My provider reconfigured their VOIP device to operate with 192.168.15.xxx addresses. Originally it was configured to operate with 192.168.0.xxx aaddresses, which conflicted with my D-Link LAN router which operated with 192.168.0.xxx addresses.

If your VOIP cannot comply and insists on using 192.168.0.1 as the VOIP IP address, then you'll have to change your LAN router to 192.168.1.1 to avoid a conflict.

(2)The second big issue is to realize that the VOIP router is making the PPOE connection to my service provider, hence I had to reconfigure my LAN router to have a connection type of Automatic-DHCP (not PPOE type as it was configured as a stand alone device). Hence my LAN router now picks up a WAN address from the VOIP router of 192.168.15.2. It is a cascading router setup.

Hope some of this gets you started in the correct direction.
Not sure if it's at all applicable. I'll give tech support a call and see is I can get this sorted. Cheers and thanks for the help.
A

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Your ATA is indeed a fire-walled router (the NAT mode tick box), installed behind an existing fire-walled router, which is why the help sheet says some of the things found there. Your Netcomm modem is at 192.168.1.1, and after rebooting, your ATA is now at an accessible 192.168.1.5, and as far as I am aware, there are no computers permanently connected to the ATA to be affected by the second NAT and fire-wall.

Exetel doesn't configure these. They come as they do to simplify config by an attached computer.

Under no circumstances make a PPPoE setting from the ATA. One PPPoE at the modem is sufficient. The help sheet shows that box unticked.

If you really want to use the ATA as a router for your network, you would reconfigure the modem to bridge mode, to erase it's router functionality. I wouldn't.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Snakeman, here is a Netcomm help guide specific to your ATA: http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/asse ... Exetel.pdf

It is a little more efficient if you use 58.96.1.2 rather than sip1.exetel.com.au

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:29 pm

In my defence, I've never had this happen in my 37 years! :oops: The cause of this baffling problem? Handset chose this moment in time to crap itself. Hooked up the old fax/phone... we have 2 way communication again, clear as a bell. I knew the router and ATA settings were right!

Or are they? Now that that problem is solved, there has been a secondary problem that I had thought was tied to the first. This is dropping calls. All calls are dropping at 50 seconds pretty much every time. Had a few drop at 30 or so but several happened right at 50. Any ideas?

Cheers,
A.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:03 pm

Is Caller ID enabled in the User Facility? If not, try it enabled.

Snakeman

Post by Snakeman » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:39 pm

Righto, tried with and without caller ID enabled, updated firmware, adjusted the SIP Expire Time to 240 per the updated user guide, calls are dropping out at precisely 32 seconds, every single time. Bizarre!

*EDIT* Updated my router firmware, seems to have done the trick. Made it past the 1 minute barrier on the final test. I'll test it out properly tomorrow, fingers crossed this is not a temporary fix! Thanks for the assistance Dazz, I'll keep you posted here. Cheers!
Last edited by Snakeman on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.