2nd VOIP ATA

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
spidie

2nd VOIP ATA

Post by spidie » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi All

I've had a Billion 7404VGP router with built in VOIP working very well on the Exetel network for sometime now. We recently built a granny flat out the back for the in-laws and hooked them into my network (Cat5) so we could share internet and the plan was to also give them their own VOIP line (seperate number)

They are too far away to use the 2nd port on the Billion so I though I'd try and seperate ATA. I tried the Linksys PAP2 seeing as it had such good reviews. Everything seems to connect ok and the phones on the PAP2 can make calls ok whilst I am making calls on my line - however if someone calls INTO their line then you only get half the sound - ie. the caller can't hear anything, but their voice can be heard my in-laws.

I suspect the 7404 is interrupting something along the way and intercepting one of the streams. So far I haven't had to configure any holes in the firewall or anything (like I used to have to many years ago when I started using VOIP). Any ideas of anything simple I might be able to try to fix this. I hoping I can carry on with this configuration, but if I have to I'll just buy another ATA and turn off VOIP on the 7404 (or swap it for something else).

Anyone else running a similar configuration to me? How about with 2 ATAs and a non-VOIP firewall?

Thanks in advance.
Steve

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: 2nd VOIP ATA

Post by jokiin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:16 pm

spidie wrote:Hi All

I've had a Billion 7404VGP router with built in VOIP working very well on the Exetel network for sometime now. We recently built a granny flat out the back for the in-laws and hooked them into my network (Cat5) so we could share internet and the plan was to also give them their own VOIP line (seperate number)

They are too far away to use the 2nd port on the Billion so I though I'd try and seperate ATA. I tried the Linksys PAP2 seeing as it had such good reviews. Everything seems to connect ok and the phones on the PAP2 can make calls ok whilst I am making calls on my line - however if someone calls INTO their line then you only get half the sound - ie. the caller can't hear anything, but their voice can be heard my in-laws.

I suspect the 7404 is interrupting something along the way and intercepting one of the streams. So far I haven't had to configure any holes in the firewall or anything (like I used to have to many years ago when I started using VOIP). Any ideas of anything simple I might be able to try to fix this. I hoping I can carry on with this configuration, but if I have to I'll just buy another ATA and turn off VOIP on the 7404 (or swap it for something else).

Anyone else running a similar configuration to me? How about with 2 ATAs and a non-VOIP firewall?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
the Billion is a greater part of the problem, Billion models with built in VoIP assume any inbound VoIP traffic belongs to itself and don't pass packets accordingly, in some models changing the SIP ALG settings in the firewall options can work depending on what ATA is used behind the Billion and how they handle NAT traversal, which provider you are using on the PAP2 also plays some part in how successful this may or may not be

Are you using an Exetel account on the PAP2 or another VSP, if so which one as the advice given may vary, I use the PAP2 also so am familiar with those, I have a Billion as well but I don't use it anymore as I really don't like how it works but I (or anyone else here for that matter) might still be able to offer some advice, don't worry about playing with the DMZ on the Billion as they are not a true DMZ as it doesn't open the VoIP ports

sable

Post by sable » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:08 am

Are you using both ATA ports on the Billion?

If not why not connect a 5.8MHz cordless phone set with as many handsets as required to the second port, locate the base station next to the router and slave handset(s) in the granny flat. I belive 5.8GHz units have a range of up to 3Km (probably in perfect conditions with no brick walls etc)

outbush

Post by outbush » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 pm

spidie wrote:Hi All
I tried the Linksys PAP2 seeing as it had such good reviews. Everything seems to connect ok and the phones on the PAP2 can make calls ok whilst I am making calls on my line - however if someone calls INTO their line then you only get half the sound - ie. the caller can't hear anything, but their voice can be heard my in-laws.
Steve
The Billions reserve port 5060 for their voip
Try setting your PAP2 with a static IP in the billions LAN.
Set the PAP2 to use a port in the range 5061 - 5070 for voip settings and
(may not be necessary) port forward the SIP port (5061 - 5070) and the RTP (16384 - 16482)port to the PAP2