Unable to access message bank

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
sarasvasti

Unable to access message bank

Post by sarasvasti » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi there,

I'm now on the OCV200 / 35 plan and my modem is set so that I can make calls via VOIP or via PSTN (by using a prefix before dialling). This is all working very well though I've just realised that my answering machine is only linked up to the PSTN no. so if people call the VOIP no. it goes straight to message bank (not through the answering machine). When calling my VOIP no. it doesn't ring at all, it just goes directly to message bank. Then when I call 121 to access message bank, it says the number i've dialled is incomplete. I've tried dialling 121 via VOIP and via PSTN (with the prefix) and I get the same error message that the no. I've dialled is incomplete ... thus I can't access those messages. The fact that the phone doesn't ring if someone calls my VOIP no. isn't a problem but I would like to be able to access those messages.

Actually, now that I'm writing this I'm thinking it's probably because on this new plan I signed up for, I didn't check the voicemail option as it costs an extra $3 per month - if that's the case, why would people be able to leave messages? It goes through to my recorded message and asks people to leave a message.

Also, I was always confused re whether that voicemail option referred to the mobile service included in the OCV200 / 35. I don't have voicemail on my mobile either. If I were to pay $3 per month to get the voicemail option would that mean I have voicemail on the VOIP line "and" the mobile?

Any clarification would be appreciated, thanks :D

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Unable to access message bank

Post by Dazzled » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:50 pm

VoIP has free voicemail. Check the settings at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/voip_ ... e_form.php for VoIP - that may be why it's not ringing. Re dialling 121, what ATA are you using, and is there a dial plan interfering?

The PSTN phone has a paid-for message bank, if you choose it, and it costs a local PSTN call to retrieve messages. See http://www.exetel.com.au/a_adsl2_features.php

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:46 pm

I have a Dynalink RTA1046VW modem if that's what an ATA is? How would I know if a 'dial plan' is interfering? :)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:50 pm

The Dynalink has a built-in ATA (it does the analogue telephone to digital internet conversions). You should be able to call 121 by VoIP by either handset method - (1) by pressing the dial/on button and then selecting the number, or (2) by selecting the number and then pressing the dial button. You should hear a ring tone answered by a mechanical voice. On a simple corded handset, it should work by picking up and dialling 121. If you haven't enabled Voicemail in the user facility it won't work.

The Dynalink also has limited dial plan facilities - under Voice->PSTN Control you can enter number patterns which will be switched to the PSTN service if they are dialled. I was wondering if you had entered anything there that would try to send 121 by PSTN, where it is an incomplete number.

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi again, I've tried dialling via VOIP (i.e. without the prefix ## which I use to make PSTN calls) 121 (both dialling then pressing the call button and vice versa) but it rings then a mechanical voice says unfortunately the no. you have dialled was incomplete or incorrect, please try again. I do still have a VOIP no. (from the previous naked plan - which was then out of plan for sometime before signing up on the OCV200 / 35). If I don't dial the prefix before no.'s then it calls out on VOIP and those VOIP calls are added to my monthly bill so I do still have an active VOIP no. - I'm sure I had voicemail enabled previously on the naked plan so maybe it changed when the PSTN line was re-activated under this new plan. On the user facility, I've just gone thro the configure step and ticked enable voicemail etc. just in case it wasn't enabled. 121 is still giving the same message but maybe it will take a while to kick in, I'll try it again tomorrow. Re the numbers I've set in the modem to be PSTN - I've only got one no. in there and that is 000. I'll let you know if it's still not working over the next couple of days, let me know if you can think of anything else in the meantime. Thanks for your help and patience :)

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:19 pm

Note - something strange (well to me) and that may be of use in clarifying things for you ... the link you sent in your first response takes me to a page which says 'modify your voip service' and under current voip service details it says "you don't have voip service with exetel". Yet as per my last response, why would that be the case when I have a voip no.? When I click into View Usage - 'Wireline usage" - that's where it has all my services i.e. my PSTN 'telephone' no., my Voip phone no. and my mobile no. usage. So i have voip but i don't have voip? Or maybe I just don't have access anymore to those extras like Voip voicemail since going PSTN on the OCV200? If so, why can I call out on Voip and people can call me on voip and go to a message bank that I can't access? Hoping this adds something to the picture for you ... if not, apologies for the blah blah :D

CorporateVoIP

Post by CorporateVoIP » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:31 am

In taking on the OCV200 plan did you elect to turn your VoIP DID back into your PSTN number? If so you no longer have a VoIP service and need to apply for a new one, from members.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:36 am

Edit: CorporateVoIP beat me to it.........

Does the Dynalink, 192.168.1.1, under "Voice", say that "You can make VOIP phone calls" on the port your phone is in, or does it say "The registration is failed"? If the latter, you either don't have a VoIP service, as reported by the user facility, or else have not correctly registered the Dynalink. In those cases all your supposed VoIP calls are being sent by PSTN. That's the fall back function of the Dynalink. Normally the dial and ring tones differ as a warning. 121 would certainly be incomplete in the event of PSTN fallback.

Have you been involved in porting a PSTN number to VoIP previously? If you have separate VoIP and PSTN phone numbers the VoIP should be configurable and working normally.

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Hi again,

So when I first joined with exetel on the naked (voip) plan, I think my original PSTN no. was converted into a VOIP no. and I also got a new VOIP no. For some reason, I couldn't work out how to use my original no. so I only ever used the new VOIP no. and that worked fine.

When I then signed up for the OCV200 plan, they were able to give me my original PSTN no. back (because it had been converted to voip in the first place) plus I have kept the other VOIP no. which is the only VOIP no. that I used.

Via this forum, someone helped me set up my modem so that I could call out on the VOIP no. by just dialling or call out via PSTN (to get the free calls) by using a prefix. They might have assumed I had a new voip plan as well as the OCV200 though?

On my last invoice, I have charges for using the VOIP no. ... which i use for 'special' no.'s assuming they are cheaper that way than using the new PSTN line ... I assume they are Voip calls because of the above and because on the invoice they say "voip monthly charges". Maybe something has changed since that invoice - it included Feb calls and I started the OCV200 end of Jan though.

Anyway, re the dynalink page, under voice, it says registration failed, you cannot make voip calls. So does that mean even if I don't use the prefix it's always dialling via PSTN anyway - as I'd rather not bother with the prefix if it's of no use?

Otherwise, I would need to sign up for a post voip 0 plan or something and just pay for voip calls as I go? Then somehow reconfigure my modem for this ... and use the prefix thing for PSTN like I have been (even though it sounds like i may as well not have been doing that for the last couple of months)?

Thanks again for your patience :)

CorporateVoIP

Post by CorporateVoIP » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Can you please pm your ADSL number to me and i'll have a look at your listed services.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:43 pm

If your Dynalink has two input cables fitted at the back, PSTN and DSL, as per the picture, then you have fallback available. If the device reports Registration Failed, then you are always falling back and using the PSTN line. That explains the 121 problem.

Your friends will call on the PSTN number for the most part, but you still can get a new VoIP number and configure that, as it is mostly for outward calls, and then only for those that are cheaper (eg overseas, or after you use up the included monthly PSTN minutes). CorporateVoIP can give more info if needed.

If you don't intend to use VoIP at all, you could unplug the PSTN cord from the Dynalink and connect it direct to the phone. See my earlier post for PSTN voicemail.

Attachments
dynalink.png
dynalink.png (27 KiB) Viewed 1845 times

sarasvasti

Post by sarasvasti » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:45 pm

All sorted, thanks for your support, problem was that even though my Voip details were set on the Dynalink page under Voice, they obviously dropped out at some stage and I simply had to hit "apply" again ... sorry for the inconvenience but thanks again for your help / responses.