Can't make calls through X-Lite 4

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
patara

Can't make calls through X-Lite 4

Post by patara » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:05 am

I set up my VoIP connection a couple of weeks ago using X-Lite 4 on Win 7 but haven't been able to make calls. On the night I set it up I was in email contact with support and they said it was connected or registered. Since then I've had no luck calling out.
I have no problems making calls out over Skype to Skype.
I was able to receive a call from my brother and quality was good and I just tested ringing myself using my mobile and it worked perfectly.

I've checked the settings as mentioned in the Exetel PDF and all seems correct. I have a feeling it may be a Network Issue as on the Test Devices it continues to show a yellow triangle.
' You are connected to the Internet ' is ticked but yellow triangle on ' You are connected to the Internet through a firewall of type unknown NAT '. The test result is Public IP address: Firewall type:Unknown.
X-Lite is set to allow in my Firewall programs List.
Although Devices are ticked green on the Audio Tab there is also a yellow triangle for Limited data sent and received, possible codec mismatch. I used the codec as mention in the Exetel PDF - G711 aLaw. Have tried the other one but made no difference.

Would anyone be able to give me a clue as to what to do or should I call support. I've tried but can't figure out how to fix.
My internet connection goes through D-Link DSL-G604T
Thanks...Patricia

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Can't make calls through X-Lite 4

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:28 am

It's a firewall/NAT issue by the sound of it, but X-Lite4/Win 7 is foreign territory to me. If you are registered at the SIP server, the network knows where to find you. Start though by going to Manage VoIP in the members facility, select Modify VoIP service, and then Configure Telephone. Check you haven't inadvertently barred calls.

The successful inward calls are a sign that the router firewall is ok. If you run more than one network device you may need to set a static address for the softphone computer so the router knows where the softphone lives. There is an article for port forwarding some models at http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... ip.com.htm (Port 5060, UDP protocol)

Running two SIP clients at once on the same number can cause handshake screw ups - either one softphone is on, or else one hardware VoIP ATA.

Check that Windows isn't still blocking your outward ports or protocols. There's a firewall on the router, and Windows' extra one can get in the way. To initiate a call, you have to first get out on 5060 UDP, though you do have X-Lite on a list and this seems unlikely.

Free softphones haven't paid the steep royalty fee for the G.729 proprietary codec, so use the free G.711.

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:05 am

patara wrote:Anyone be able to give me a clue as to what to do or should I call support. I've tried but can't figure out how to fix.
My internet connection goes through D-Link DSL-G604T
Thanks...Patricia
Could you please perform the advised provided in the above post and check whether this resolves your issue.

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:20 pm

Have you run X-Lite in XP compatibility mode?

That worked for me.

patara

Post by patara » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks for all the help.
I did go in and follow the settings for the Dlink.
I also found on that site the page for X-Lite
http://portforward.com/english/routers/ ... X-Lite.htm
After saving I went back and made a call to my mobile.
There was nothing and I was searching settings again when my mobile rang. So it did work. Tested with house phone and it also rang but it takes a long time. Perhaps it was working all along and I was just canceling call thinking it wasn't working.

So phoning out is working, although I haven't tested by speaking to anyone.
The previously mentioned yellow triangle on the Network Tab is still there.

I hear the numbers being pressed but then it is all silent. I timed it and it takes 1 minute plus of silence before my phone rings.
Is this normal? Also when my system reboots or Internet connection starts it takes a few minutes before the X-Lite shows that it is connected and working. Is that also normal?

Jaybee, thanks for the suggestion but X-Lite4 is compatible with Win7. I had no issues with installing it. I never thought of that option though so worth suggesting....Patricia

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I noticed that others have also made slow-to-ring observations with the D-Link. I don't know why, but your modem is getting on and the firmware version might have a part in this.

The 2nd generation has downloads at http://files.dlink.com.au/Products/DSL- ... nII/REV_C/ Firmware dated 2009) The D-Link ftp site is at ftp://files.dlink.com.au/products/DSL-G604T/ (REV A & B)

You can bypass the modem router firewall completely for testing by setting a DMZ to the computer, but I would be very careful with any kind of Windows exposed to the net unprotected for long.

If you can borrow a different modem, try it. New ones aren't dear any more, eg this shop: http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/index.p ... =89_91_100

I made a softphone test call a little while ago using Twinkle outbound running through a Dynalink modem, and the ring tone started >1 sec - that's quicker than my ATA.

patara

Post by patara » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks.
I checked the firmware and see I have the version before. I saved the files from the site but for present I think I'll leave well enough alone as don't want to reconfigure the router at present. The notes say I have to do a factory reset.
I'm looking at getting a VoIP router and phone in the future so for now I'll try making some calls, allowing the time for connection and see how I go.
Thanks for the links, I found them useful.
I'll play with the settings re Firewall as maybe something is slowing the connection down.

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 am

Note that for testing i have used your VOIP and it is able to make calls without any issues and even incoming is working.

Could you please get a screen shot of the configuration page of your xlite and email me on nuranj@exetel.com.lk

patara

Post by patara » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:02 am

I have sent email with a few screenshots of settings.
Thanks

jaybee

Post by jaybee » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:18 pm

My memory of this is returning.

I installed X-Lite 4 on Win7 but could not get it to work.

But X-Lite 3 works fine for me in Win7 but only using XP compatibility mode

nuranj
Exetel Staff

Post by nuranj » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:12 pm

jaybee wrote:My memory of this is returning.

I installed X-Lite 4 on Win7 but could not get it to work.

But X-Lite 3 works fine for me in Win7 but only using XP compatibility mode
Could you please kindly email me a screenshot of the xlite 4 configuration to nuranj@exetel.com.lk so i could have a look.

patara

Post by patara » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Have solved it with Nuran's help.
He suggested I change the SIP to 58.96.1.2 and also try another codec. Changed both. For some reason I had chosen the 2nd option for the SIP from the instructions in the PDF for setting up X-Lite and I'm guessing that's what was causing the delay.

All I need to do now is make an actual call to talk to someone but on testing house phones they start ringing in about 1 second.

Jaybee, I have Win7 Ultimate 64bit and had no probs installing X-Lite-4 or getting it to work except for this issue, which turns out isn't the program but my input. The version I installed was X-Lite_Win32_4. I've never had to use compatibility mode for any installation as yet, even on old programs.

Thanks Nuran and everyone for helping me out.....Patricia

patara

Post by patara » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:47 pm

Last update on this.
On my last reboot of system, X-Lite made the connection instantly .
I made a phone call interstate, ringing started straight away and the call quality was excellent.
Thanks again....Patricia