Billion 7402 VGP unable to make VOIP calls

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
tommyboy

Billion 7402 VGP unable to make VOIP calls

Post by tommyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:16 am

Hi All,

I have done as much research as I can on the Exetel VOIP forum and I can't seem to find answers to the VOIP problem I'm experiencing with my Billion 7402 VGP. I have followed the setup guides and entered the settings. At this stage I can receive calls from my mobile to my VOIP number but for some unknown reason I can't seem to dial out. I have no problems with internet access.

Currently my modem settings
Firmware version is 5.74D,
Phone port is registered,
No Dial Plan set,
DSCP: Premium
SIP: 58.96.1.2
Codec G.711 A-Law and tried G.729

I have a dial tone on the VOIP phone (constant tone) and after dialing the number it still stays contant but then I get the engaged sound. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sable

Re: Billion 7402 VGP unable to make VOIP calls

Post by sable » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:37 pm

tommyboy

Assume you only have one Voip account and thsi is a new setup.

That is quite an old router, first thing I would try is configuring the second phone port to see if the problem is with the phone port.

You should specify at least 2 codecs in order that the system can fall back if the first one fails. I use G711ALaw and G711uLaw as 1 and 2.

If that does not work post full details of your setup.

Himantha
Exetel Staff

Post by Himantha » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 pm

Similar setup info can be found via: http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php?title=VoIP_page

tommyboy

Post by tommyboy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi Sable,

Thank you for the suggestion I just tried it and it works. For some unknown reason the first port is only able to receive calls.

Thanks Guys for your help

Baba

Post by Baba » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:01 pm

Hey Guys, I seem to be running into the same problem as the OP. I have just emailed resi support to see if they can help.

I can sync fine, but when I call my VOIP from my mobile, there is a large amount of static and I can bearly hear the other person. And also with my outbound call issue (solid dialtone, then engaged), I cannot use the VOIP service as it is. I know that my router is quite old, but I have used VOIP on this before with iinet under a naked plan at a different address with no call quality or issues.

I have a filter/splitter from the modem to the phone socket, and I don’t have my landline connected in any way.

Any Ideas?
Thanks guys..

outbush

Post by outbush » Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Baba wrote:Hey Guys, I seem to be running into the same problem as the OP.

I have a filter/splitter from the modem to the phone socket, and I don’t have my landline connected in any way.
Any Ideas?
Thanks guys..
Firstly, there should not be a filter between the modem and the phone socket on the wall.

If you have PSTN fallback, your PSTN voltages are not right.
Read the manual regarding adjusting the PSTN voltages configuration

Also these old modems sometimes need a noise filter between the voip port and your handset

Baba

Post by Baba » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 pm

outbush wrote: Firstly, there should not be a filter between the modem and the phone socket on the wall.

If you have PSTN fallback, your PSTN voltages are not right.
Read the manual regarding adjusting the PSTN voltages configuration

Also these old modems sometimes need a noise filter between the voip port and your handset
Cool. i changed the onhook voltage to 38 and offhook to 7 volts. still same issues with constant dialtone then engaged. i have left the splitter on as i now have my landline as my fallback (the mrs needs the phone :-))

Baba

Post by Baba » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:46 am

Guys, any more ideas. the helpdesk arent responding to my requests in a timely fashion lately. do you think it is a port forwarding issue? I have not forwarded any ports..any ideas would be very welcome. thanks

KavindaS
Exetel Staff

Post by KavindaS » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:39 pm

Baba wrote:Guys, any more ideas. the helpdesk arent responding to my requests in a timely fashion lately. do you think it is a port forwarding issue? I have not forwarded any ports..any ideas would be very welcome. thanks
Hi Baba,

Could you check with G711u codec as well? If possible plug a different working handset and see whether that replicates the issue. :)

Baba

Post by Baba » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:43 pm

KavindaS wrote:
Hi Baba,

Could you check with G711u codec as well? If possible plug a different working handset and see whether that replicates the issue. :)
changing to G.729 does seem to make a difference as in not a much static. I was using G.711 A-Law. I will try top get a non wireless handset and report back. thanks

outbush

Post by outbush » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:13 pm

Baba wrote: I have a filter/splitter from the modem to the phone socket, and I don’t have my landline connected in any way.
Any Ideas?.
As per my previous post, Firstly, there should not be a filter between the modem and the phone socket on the wall.

Connect an Unfiltered line to your ADSL socket/port,
Connect a Filtered line to your Line port(for PSTN calls)
And add a noise (ADSL)filter between the Phone 1 or 2 port and your handset

You may also want to try your backup voip provider.