xlite softphone audio problem

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
todg

xlite softphone audio problem

Post by todg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi

I was happily using Xlite on my Mac for outgoing calls until last week when my Xlite software automatically updated.
Now, with the latest version I can't get any audio on my outgoing calls. I've checked the config, and it's still set to 'G711 uLaw'. I think I tried an incoming call and had the same problem.
Any ideas?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: xlite softphone audio problem

Post by ShaminG » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:30 pm

I was happily using Xlite on my Mac for outgoing calls until last week when my Xlite software automatically updated.
Now, with the latest version I can't get any audio on my outgoing calls. I've checked the config, and it's still set to 'G711 uLaw'. I think I tried an incoming call and had the same problem.
Any ideas?
Is it only during a call or you can't even hear the dial pad tones.

todg

Post by todg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 pm

No I don't hear keypad tones.

shoner
Exetel Staff

Post by shoner » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 am

todg wrote:No I don't hear keypad tones.
After the upgrade was completed did you check if your SIP settings have changed? And does your softphone display the service as registered?
If you can copy paste your settings here it will be helpful
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:18 am

There are a few very recent X-Lite audio problems reported for PCs here - http://forums.counterpath.com/viewforum.php?f=26. Is one of these posts relevant?

todg

Post by todg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks. I'm away from my Mac for a few days, but I'll check these out soon and see how I go.

patara

Post by patara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 am

This also happened to me.
I used VoIP on the 9th August. Had no problems.
The next day X-Lite updated and then no calls have worked since.
I checked my settings against what Nuran had told me to use and they looked the same to me.
This week I found that I have been charged for those attempts I made to 2 different numbers although I heard no sound going out [ no ringing sound ] nor did I hear any contact from the other end.
I wrote to Nuran, on support, 2 days ago as he helped me recently with my VoIP problems but I've had no reply.
I had also asked was it possible to have the charges removed. I had attached some images to support my email. Is there someone else I should contact about this?

rukshani
Exetel Staff

Post by rukshani » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:22 pm

patara wrote:This also happened to me.
I checked my settings against what Nuran had told me to use and they looked the same to me.
This week I found that I have been charged for those attempts I made to 2 different numbers although I heard no sound going out [ no ringing sound ] nor did I hear any contact from the other end.
I wrote to Nuran, on support, 2 days ago as he helped me recently with my VoIP problems but I've had no reply.
I had also asked was it possible to have the charges removed. I had attached some images to support my email. Is there someone else I should contact about this?
I have asked a supervisor to look in to this. He will get back to you on this shortly.

todg

Post by todg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:43 pm

I haven't found any posts that help with this problem.
The SIP registration is working, I can make and receive calls but I have no audio on any of them. I can hear my dial tones. The speaker and microphone tests in x-lite work.
I've probably made 20 calls trying to test this, trying various things, and no audio on any calls.

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:38 pm

patara wrote:This also happened to me.
As per the conversation that I had with you ,Calls seem to be going through fine , it seems like the X-lite software does not detect the audio devises..... Please try re-installing the x-lite and let me know what happens

For the benefit of everyone else.............

X-Lite 4 seems to have an issue detecting devises (Headsets/mics) when they are plunged in after x-lite has started up :?

this could be the reason why you are not able to hear anything.

Make sure that the Headset and the microphone is plugged into your system before you start the x- lite software.

If you plugged in the headset and the microphone after starting up the x-lite then simple close x-lite and restart it , and see if you can make and receive calls :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

patara

Post by patara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Thanks udara for the phone call and help.
I rebooted my computer but again got the same result with X-Lite.
I removed it and installed the previous version but on starting a message popped up stating X-Lite had expired and program was closing. Couldn't get it to work. Manually downloaded the latest version from their website, installed it but I still have no audio from my speakers. The call did go through to my mobile so now know it is working on Exetel's end.
On using the troubleshooting test for the speakers it does show they are working and I can hear the file they play.
I had a look at the X-Lite forum and there are others having the same issue as me starting after the latest update but as yet no response from any support person. Others also getting the message re the previous version has expired.
At this stage it looks like I can't use VoIP until it is fixed or I go looking for another program to use.

todg

Post by todg » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:30 pm

I have the same symptoms. Will not work thru either built in speakers/microphone or bluetooth headset.
I used to find with the previous version of x-lite (which did work for me) that I had to have my headset connected before launching X-lite.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:54 pm

patara, while you wait for an X-Lite fix, I understand that Ekiga has been ported to Windows. I have no experience of it on that platform, and don't know anybody who does, but it is probably the easiest to configure SIP phone available on Gnome desktop machines. http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Main_Page. The fairly trivial Exetel SIP config is shown at viewtopic.php?f=58&t=38483. Also at http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Managing_VOIP_Accounts

If anyone does try it on Windows, can you report back how it went?

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:18 pm

todg wrote:I have the same symptoms. ...............
patara wrote: I rebooted my computer but again got the same result with X-Lite...............
Hi todg & patara ,

I have done some changes to your VOIP services , Just to see if it will make a difference ...... :)

Can you please re-test the VOIP service by making a call to a land line number as well as a mobile number and see if this works :?:

I have created a common ticket with the changes that i have done as i am still investigating the issue - Ticket ID: 4357792
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

patara

Post by patara » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:25 pm

Hi udara, thank you.
That looks like it may have worked.
I haven't anyone to phone this time of night but I did try my mobile and my house phone and this time I could hear the ring through my speakers as well as the effect sounds when the call was stopped.
I will try phoning someone else tomorrow and post back here as to the result.
Thanks heaps for helping