VOIP breaking up

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
abbo56

Re: VOIP breaking up

Post by abbo56 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:37 am

Previously I indicated I was attempting to get another modem to see if my VOIP issue could be resolved.

I have been trialling another DYNALINK RTA 1046VW for the past week and the internet issues are still there-- slow downloads, VOIP download breaking up but with VOIP Upload apparently unaffected. Problem occurring mostly in the evenings.......

The VOIP is basically un-useable in the evenings

Sorry I am not tech savvy enough to follow or assist the previous posts on this subject however if I can assist in some way let me know.

I was advised from another source that because my modem router is about 5 years old I could expect some issues with performance to develop so I am considering getting a new Billion 7404VGPX in an attempt to resolve the problem.
Are there any comments about the value of this modem router for use with VOIP?

Thanks for the help so far
Abbo

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:17 am

Abbo56, the Dynalink, with the current firmware, 3.65, is an excellent VoIP device, as good as any. You are unlikely to improve things with another make. Your comment about evening download slowness, but normal upload, gives the problem away, I think - old fashioned exchange peak congestion (see your earlier post). I know of others in your boat, and they have Telstra Wholesale services. The person at the other end hears you perfectly, but you only hear broken audio.

Pinging an Exetel router (eg ping 220.233.0.4) at the affected times can help diagnose this trouble. TW used to have their exchange upgrade schedule on line, but they seem to have moved it away.

I would be interested to know if Netless heard any improvement with buffer tweaking - he was, in effect, adding a little catch-up delay. As I mentioned, Dynalinks, and most other hardware ATAs, don't have the ability to tweak buffers, as memory is too tight. The Dynalink has MemTotal=14148 kB on board.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Dazzled wrote: TW used to have their exchange upgrade schedule on line, but they seem to have moved it away.
moved to a different page now http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products ... /index.htm

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks Dazzled.
I did a bit of internet searching and I think the following data is the ping reading you are referring to. This test was done around 10am 31Dec11. My exchange is Berkeley Vale and I am at least 5Km away.
Unfortunately I do not know what I am looking for in the TW link provided

Some reading I did on how to interpret ping results would indicate my response is rather poor so it seems like I will just have to grin and bear things until the exchange gets better facilities
Thanks for your assistance
Abbo

Pinging 220.233.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=430ms TTL=60
Request timed out.
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=157ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=150ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 150ms, Maximum = 430ms, Average = 245ms

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am

Ugh! That is a very slow timed return trip for a single packet from your place only as far as the Exetel DNS server and back - a trip completely on the phone company's cables. The huge variation of trip times is jitter. It should look like this:
$ping 220.233.0.4
PING 220.233.0.4 (220.233.0.4) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 220.233.0.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=60 time=31.4 ms

In these circumstances VoIP is in difficulties. Berkeley Vale is coded as BLVE and you'll see it in Jokiin's linked spreadsheets - eg, backhaul upgrade for a DSLAM by March 2012. There were some earlier upgrades in 2011. Unfortunately it's a Telstra-only exchange.

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks for the help Dazzled.
Just to show the variability, here is another ping I just completed:

Pinging 220.233.0.4 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=60
Reply from 220.233.0.4: bytes=32 time=24ms TTL=60

Ping statistics for 220.233.0.4:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 24ms, Average = 19ms

It is interesting, I have been using VOIP for many years now and VOIP with Exetel for about 4 years. This issue only started around July2011. Perhaps more connections to the exchange with population growth in the area took it above capacity?? I dont know.
Will wait to see what the March2012 upgrade brings

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:58 am

It is now mid april12 and the VOIP issue is still as bad as ever.
The telstra upgrade was suppose to be completed by mid march however I now see from the telstra link that the Forecast DSLAM Relief Date is 3May12 with a relief strategy of "MIGRATE". What ever that means.
I see from other forums that users are having similar issues of slow downloads at various times from other ISPs. Comfort in numbers I guess
Watch this space for an update in May. There is not much else I can do except keep paying for a high speed internet and get low speed fixes.
Abbo

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 am

abbo56 wrote:It is now mid april12 and the VOIP issue is still as bad as ever.
The telstra upgrade was suppose to be completed by mid march however I now see from the telstra link that the Forecast DSLAM Relief Date is 3May12 with a relief strategy of "MIGRATE". What ever that means.
I see from other forums that users are having similar issues of slow downloads at various times from other ISPs. Comfort in numbers I guess
Watch this space for an update in May. There is not much else I can do except keep paying for a high speed internet and get low speed fixes.
Abbo

"Migrate" means that they will install a new DSLAM on top of the existing one and migrate some of the existing customers to the new one. Please PM me your service number to understand your situation more and to do what ever possible from our end. 8)

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi lodperera,
I think I have sent a reply to you via "PM" however not having used this facility before I am not sure if I have done it correctly.
If it was not successful let me know here and I will try again
Regards
Abbo

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:49 pm

abbo56 wrote:Hi lodperera,
I think I have sent a reply to you via "PM" however not having used this facility before I am not sure if I have done it correctly.
If it was not successful let me know here and I will try again
Regards
Abbo

I've received your PM. Let me check what we could do from our end and let you know. :)

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:12 pm

Hi abbo56,

We have created a Ticket with ID: 5102081 . We will get back to you on this.

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 am

I checked the telstra upgrade site and once again they have moved the upgrade date for my exchange. This time from 3May12 to 30Jun12. The new date seems ominously suspicious and so I guess I should expect another delay in two months time.
Waiting, waiting, waiting............

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Fri May 04, 2012 11:16 am

For those members having the same problems with Exetel VOIP as I am, here is the latest tech support reply I have received after supplying ping and speed tests to the Colombo based exetel tech staff via personal email.

"Thank you for your e-mail. There a few things I'd like to address with this email; firstly, according to our records and having liaised with Telstra, they have confirmed to us directly that there is no upgrade planned for your exchange; however, they have also confirmed that it is mildly congested. Secondly, it appears to us that the predominant issue with your line is slow speeds - and this is the root cause of your VoIP dropouts.

If this issue is making your service unusable and you are not satisfied, we can offer you the option of cancelling the service with us. If you do intend to opt-out:

- I will be able to offer you a refund of 50% considering your usage from the monthly fee for the month of April as a gesture of good will for the inconvenience caused to you because of this issue. A full refund can be offered for the month of May.

Please reply back to this email with any further questions and how you would like to proceed.

Regards,"

For those members trying to resolve their own problems in this area I include my reply to the tech email so that you may want to follow your exchange upgrade information presented on the TELSTRA website - if that helps?

"There appears to be a contradiction between your advice from Telstra and the official web site position Telstra has been presenting and updating for over a year now.
Please view this at http://telstrawholesale.com.au/products ... /index.htm
Scroll down to "DSLAM Backhaul Relief" . In the spreadsheet opened at this link scroll down to the BLVE exchange in the third column headed ESA Code. Against this code is shown

QBLVEE4002M NSW BLVE BERKELEY VALE 30-Jun-12 MIGRATE

This was recently updated from a forecast DSLAM Relief Date of 3MAy12 and previously March 2012 and previously .........

Any way, this conflict with Telstra does not fix the problem. I thank you for your reply and "offer" to resolve my slow speed issues. I will take some time and assess my alternatives to try and get a reliable and useable internet/VOIP connection."

In conclusion, does anyone have a suggestion as to how I may attack my internet speed problem from another angle?
One thought I had is to change to a wireless provider which may bypass my Telstra landline. The only problem here is I originally quit my wireless connection once ADSL became available to my house via a land line because of stability issues with wireless.
I would rather not go back to that problem with its associated dropouts and so on.
Anyway, life goes on, but at a slower pace.

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Fri May 04, 2012 2:08 pm

hi abbo56,
This was recently updated from a forecast DSLAM Relief Date of 3MAy12 and previously March 2012 and previously
Which is why we wanted to confirm with Telstra whether they would upgrade the DSLAM on the mentioned date, unfortunately we had to share the bad news which obviously contradict.

Please research your alternatives and we will support you through the process if necessary. If you want to clarify anything regarding this issue, simply reply to the same email which will reopen the ticket.

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:33 pm

In my investigations I have started to use Skype.
With a video call mode there are periods of freezing and interruption to signal much the same as with exetel Voip. However, when I use audio calling only with Skype I have no issues with the audio quality.
I have held many conversations with persons interstate, covering periods in excess of 2 hours at a time and at times of day where I have experienced problems with the Exetel service.
Could it be that whilst my exchange is causing some of the issues because of over loading, there may also be an issue with the hardware/software setup at exetel? To my non technical view point, perfect audio via Skype but problems with Exetel audio at the same time says something.
I have also had occasions where Skype and exetel Voip have been used simultaneously, but to different people, and the Exetel line has been bad whilst Skype audio has continued to work well.
Regards
Abbo