Porting PSTN to VOIP

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Surfn Chick

Porting PSTN to VOIP

Post by Surfn Chick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:16 pm

I am using an Asus Router with a V210P ATA adapter.
Exetel have provided two sets of usernames and passwords

one username being my original VOIP no. and password which was the original VOIP details as I have been using VOIP for quite a few years.
and the other my original Telephone (PSTN number) with a user password.

Whats happening:

VOIP is working for outgoing calls with configuration of original VOIP number.

But unable to phone in using the new Ported number.

Please help as I have phoned exetel and they suggested I bridge my router/ata adapter but I didn't need this prior to porting my number.

The main problem with getting assistance is that I am unable to talk to Exetel because when I disconnect my router to go to the interface of the ATa of course I lose my VOIP connection.

I'm really hoping someone can shed some light on this subject, as I see I'm probably the dummy because this topic has not been mentioned. And yes I have followed all the setup instructions, through exetel and netcomm.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Porting PSTN to VOIP

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:35 pm

I'm not getting something - do you now have 2 VoIP numbers (a PSTN service doesn't need a password)? If so, the V210P is a single VoIP line device. With 2 services, one is the PSTN override. The ports at the back are a PSTN pass-through and an FXS (phone).

Commonly when you can dial out, but can't get an inward VoIP call to ring, it is the modem/router dropping the inward connection. Port forwarding or a DMZ will cure that. If it worked before and hasn't been changed, this should still be ok.

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Yes I have 2 VOIP numbers.

The first being my ported Telstra number.

The second being the original VOIP number as it is a Sydney number and my contacts in Sydney can still call me for a local call. We live outside Sydney.

So the configuration of the ATA shouldn't change and I should keep the settings that were prior to porting the number?

To answer your question, the settings of the ATA haven't changed so I will have a look at the port forwarding or the DMZ. However, I will probably be totally confused by then.

Just to let you know, Exetel sent the password for the new ported number to gain access to the User facilities and did not suggest putting them into the modem.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 pm

I remember now - the South Coast fibre installation. Unfortunately the V210P is designed to handle only one VoIP account. The similar V220 can do two VoIPs, but cannot handle a PSTN override input.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Surfn Chick wrote:Yes I have 2 VOIP numbers.

The first being my ported Telstra number.

The second being the original VOIP number as it is a Sydney number and my contacts in Sydney can still call me for a local call. We live outside Sydney.

So the configuration of the ATA shouldn't change and I should keep the settings that were prior to porting the number?

To answer your question, the settings of the ATA haven't changed so I will have a look at the port forwarding or the DMZ. However, I will probably be totally confused by then.

Just to let you know, Exetel sent the password for the new ported number to gain access to the User facilities and did not suggest putting them into the modem.
Hi,

Could you please PM me the 2nd voip number which you are referring to, so I can look in to this for you :?:
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi ,

As discussed, I have emailed you the require information.

Your ticket reference number is #4724413.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Ok now that's sorted re the adapter V210P that is not able to carry two VOIP accounts. I still have some questions that have been unanswered by billing and other staff members.

I will start with this one as it may answer other questions I have:

1. Why is my ported PSTN to VOIP account listed as "Business" and not residential? Keeping in mind that I wanted to keep the original Sydney VOIP number.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Surfn Chick wrote:Ok now that's sorted re the adapter V210P that is not able to carry two VOIP accounts. I still have some questions that have been unanswered by billing and other staff members.

I will start with this one as it may answer other questions I have:

1. Why is my ported PSTN to VOIP account listed as "Business" and not residential? Keeping in mind that I wanted to keep the original Sydney VOIP number.
Hi,

Currently my colleague in billing is looking in to this matter and you will get a response soon.

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Pyotr

Post by Pyotr » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:14 pm

I am trying to find out (ticket #4897858) if I can port my Optus/Exetel number to VOIP. The online response seems to be 'not eligible' which is surprising given that the number is in teh range for my local exchange and the copper line with this same number has been connected to the local exchange continuously for over a decade, first as aTelstra line and later as an Optus/Exetel line.