Make/receive calls without a DID

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
toast

Make/receive calls without a DID

Post by toast » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi,

With Exetel saying they're getting rid of the $0/mo DID accounts I now have a small problem.

My girlfriend is in England and she has Exetel's MoIP on her mobile. She can call my VoIP number, and I can call her VoIP number.

Exetel will charge $5 per account I'm wondering how she and I can still call one another if I cancel the second DID. How can a VoIP to VoIP be free when I only have one DID with Exetel?

Is it possible to have a VoIP account that doesn't have a DID, and can only call Exetel VoIP numbers?
Or can we both use the same DID, but somehow my ADSL modem receives the calls so she can always call? The problem I see happening, is she turns on the MoIP software, and it registers itself, then when trying to call me.. it wouldn't work.

Thanks,
Clive

remosha
Exetel Staff

Re: Make/receive calls without a DID

Post by remosha » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:16 pm

toast wrote:Hi,

With Exetel saying they're getting rid of the $0/mo DID accounts I now have a small problem.

My girlfriend is in England and she has Exetel's MoIP on her mobile. She can call my VoIP number, and I can call her VoIP number.

Exetel will charge $5 per account I'm wondering how she and I can still call one another if I cancel the second DID. How can a VoIP to VoIP be free when I only have one DID with Exetel?

Is it possible to have a VoIP account that doesn't have a DID, and can only call Exetel VoIP numbers?
Or can we both use the same DID, but somehow my ADSL modem receives the calls so she can always call? The problem I see happening, is she turns on the MoIP software, and it registers itself, then when trying to call me.. it wouldn't work.

Thanks,
Clive
It isn't possible to have a VoIP account without a DID. You need to have two VoIP DID's with Exetel for you to make free VoIP calls between the two.

felix

Post by felix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:14 pm

If she's running Exetel moip program she can run Skype. Install Skype on both mobiles and keep them running and you can have free calls and the equivalent of free texting.

toast

Post by toast » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:59 pm

felix wrote:If she's running Exetel moip program she can run Skype. Install Skype on both mobiles and keep them running and you can have free calls and the equivalent of free texting.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately her mobile is a nokia, too old to run the latest skype application. When she was with THREE here in Oz her mobile could run the free skype application, but back in the UK the new version of skype doesn't support her mobile :(

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

toast wrote:
felix wrote:If she's running Exetel moip program she can run Skype. Install Skype on both mobiles and keep them running and you can have free calls and the equivalent of free texting.
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately her mobile is a nokia, too old to run the latest skype application. When she was with THREE here in Oz her mobile could run the free skype application, but back in the UK the new version of skype doesn't support her mobile :(
Maybe you need to subscribe to one of the many other VOIP services that free subscriber to subscriber calls without requiring a DID. IIRC pennytel etc.

Managing multiple VOIP lines on your phone maybe an issue, however.

Maybe $5 x 12 = $60/year is a cheap price for low hassle? Not that many of whatever is your favourite poison.

Certainly I'm considering either $5x12, or just occassional $5x1 or 2 on the odd occassions I need a VOIP account.

fsm

Post by fsm » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:10 am

It's quite likely the Nokia has a built-in SIP client, giving you a vast choice of ITSPs. Alternatively, other VSPs have their own MoIP clients. Yet, another alternative, is if your GF has sufficient free or included calls, is for your GF to call a SIP broker gateway in the UK or a PSTN to SIP gateway provided by another VSP.

There is no need for a DID number, that just allows you to receive calls from the PSTN. You don't even need to use the same VSP if they permit calls to other VSPs. See for example this list of dialing codes for SIP broker.

Just to be clear, VSPs will typically assign you something that looks like a telephone number, that forms part of your SIP address but it won't be 'dialable' from the PSTN, only from that VSP and possibly others through additional dialing codes,

toast

Post by toast » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:43 pm

fsm wrote:It's quite likely the Nokia has a built-in SIP client, giving you a vast choice of ITSPs. Alternatively, other VSPs have their own MoIP clients. Yet, another alternative, is if your GF has sufficient free or included calls, is for your GF to call a SIP broker gateway in the UK or a PSTN to SIP gateway provided by another VSP.

There is no need for a DID number, that just allows you to receive calls from the PSTN. You don't even need to use the same VSP if they permit calls to other VSPs. See for example this list of dialing codes for SIP broker.

Just to be clear, VSPs will typically assign you something that looks like a telephone number, that forms part of your SIP address but it won't be 'dialable' from the PSTN, only from that VSP and possibly others through additional dialing codes,
Thanks very much fsm, you've been very helpful in passing me some useful links to research. I knew it would be possible, I just didn't know what avenues to go down.

fsm

Post by fsm » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:51 am

I should have mentioned this incomplete list of Nokia phones with VoIP support in my last post.
sipbroker is an interesting service worth looking into, but the easiest option is just get two free accounts.
Pennytel is well worth looking trying as it has a multitude of features and is priced well bur can sometimes lack reliability and ca be a bit confusing to set up.
One feature of Pennytel that may be relevant to you is that they have a Shared DID number (aka Local Operator) in some countries including Liverpool in the UK, which allows Pennytel numbers to be called from the PSTN.\

They also have an app for various phones.
Running your own SIP server e.g. asterisk is another option too.
Some SIP clients can be configured to not require a VSP to make calls - I don't know whether any can be fudged to receive calls without connecting to a SIP server though.