Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
msp

Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

Post by msp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:38 pm

We're thinking of purchasing an ATA to use Voip on our outgoing calls and keep our current PSTN line with Telstra for all incoming calls. If we decide to do this, what must I do next to have Exetel be our Voip Service Provider? Application forms to fill in? Email or phone call? We are existing customers on ADSL 2+

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:51 pm

User Facility, Order Services -> VoIP.

Consider buying an ATA with PSTN pass-through so you can handle both types of call with only one handset (eg Netcomm V210P). If you have extension phones they will still work as normal, but PSTN only.

PS VoIP needs a medium speed ADSL1 or ADSL2 service. It can be less than satisfactory if you have serious exchange congestion at peak times - that can happen on Telstra exchanges. If your router cannot do QoS to the ATA, you may have to limit solid downloads while the phone is in use. Most modern routers can provide QoS.

msp

Post by msp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:05 pm

Yes, taken all your considerations on board. Now what is the next step. Do I have to phone them or fill out an application or is it simply to configure the ATA using my Exetel password?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:18 pm

Do a trial run of the online application form - you don't have to complete until ready. You will have to decide which city you want your number to appear to be in (as this affects the charges for your callers, it's all the same to you), pick a number from the list, pick a plan, etc.

When you have applied, Exetel will notify you the new VoIP phone number (DID) and a password for the VoIP proxy server. These are entered into the ATA.

Config of the ATA depends on the brand, but most common ones are on the site here, or in the wiki. Many are also routers in their own right. If yours isn't here, post a request and somebody will know. This sounds complex, but It isn't usually difficult at all. For example, the V210P mentioned above is at http://www.exetel.com.au/files/v210setup.pdf.

You will also have to reconfigure your router for port forwarding and QoS to the ATA address. If it presents any problems, just ask. Many of the common makes have been covered here. See http://portforward.com/ for many examples.

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:20 pm

msp wrote:Yes, taken all your considerations on board. Now what is the next step. Do I have to phone them or fill out an application or is it simply to configure the ATA using my Exetel password?
Hi msp,

If you interested on getting Exetel voip, you can login to your ADSL members facility and click on 'Order services => VoIP' or else or you can call to our sales team for more information.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:20 am

Can you tell me which is better to purchase - the analogue adapter MINITAR MVA11A or V210P ?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:32 am

I'm not aware of a reliability issue for either. They are much the same price, about $70, as well. Both have a single router port, if needed.

A forum user has supplied at Minitar config at viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29512&start=0, and JMG has a more detailed how-to for Minitar at http://www.jmgtechnology.com.au/pdf/Min ... _Guide.pdf. You can preview the full manual at www.razortel.com.au/Minitar-mva11a.pdf

The Netcomm is probably simpler, if you don't need the extra tricks of the Minitar, and it looks a bit neater if that's important. Whichever you choose, don't forget that the PSTN input cable requires a filter. Both units have unusual default IP addresses, so it's best to make them DHCP clients when configuring.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:48 pm

If I'm having Voip only to make calls, will Exetel give me a new phone number in order to do this ? When making the call, I heard that I have to press the asterisk button on the handset to indicate that my outgoing call is using Voip. Is that so?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Exetel will provide a DID (number) so that others can call your VoIP service. When you call out on VoIP, the receiver will get your DID as the caller ID, so you might receive the odd call even if you tell the number to nobody. This number serves as the login name for the VoIP proxy server when you configure.

ATAs with pass-through default to outgoing VoIP so that when you pick up the handset to dial out, it will go by VoIP. The ATA will pass inward calls to the handset wherever they come from.

There may be times when you want to dial out on PSTN, and for these times only you first dial the special code which switches to PSTN for that call only. For the Netcomm mentioned above the code is ##. For the Minitar see p57 of the manual above for a range of special dialling codes, including PSTN over-ride.

The ATAs support the full range of VoIP services (call waiting, transfer, forward, voicemail, etc).

The various ATA brands can also have different dial and ring tones for each type of service, so that you know which way your call will go out when you pick the handset up. This is useful if the ATA has automatically switched over to PSTN, which happens if the internet fails for any reason. You don't want to be caught out if you are dialling long distance.

fsm

Post by fsm » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:11 am

msp wrote:If I'm having Voip only to make calls, will Exetel give me a new phone number in order to do this ?
That's the only option Exetel permits at present and they do not permit CLI to be overridden with another number unless you are a business and can present an invoice showing the number. Since Exetel now charges a minimum of $5 a month for VoIP, you'd be better off with a $0 plans from another (quality) provider, If your call volumes are low enough. If the provider is located in Australia there shouldn't be any noticeable difference in quality.
When making the call, I heard that I have to press the asterisk button on the handset to indicate that my outgoing call is using Voip. Is that so?
ATAs typically allow you to configure dial plans so you can indicate which dialing 'digits' go where which you can use in addition to the default override codes. You'd typically configure them so that 000 and 13-calls go via the landline. The former to be certain the emergency services get your address and the latter so that your calls can be correctly routed based on your location (e.g. so your call goes to the pizza shop in your suburb rather than where the VoIP number notionally terminates)

If your router can't do the right sort of QOS (strictly speaking, traffic shaping that throttles and prioritises packets based on their types), you can either reflash it with open firmware if supported, or obtain an ATA that performs this function. ATAs that do QOS have 2 ethernet ports and are placed between the router and your ADSL modem.
Dazzled wrote: VoIP needs a medium speed ADSL1 or ADSL2 service. It can be less than satisfactory if you have serious exchange congestion at peak times - that can happen on Telstra exchanges.
Providers that implement QOS in their DSLAM, Internode (now owned by iinet) and iiNet are the best known and possibly only ones should offer superior quality under those conditions and when connections are shaped to lower speeds.

If service quality does not permit, or call volumes do not justify the purchase of an ATA, much of the VoIP cost advantage can be obtained by using a provider that offers callback facilities. With callback the VSP connects to the caller by calling them and the caller pays the additional cost for this. Exetel provides web callback but unfortunately restricts the calling and called numbers to Australian numbers. Other providers have no such restriction and alternatively or additionally provide ANI callback which allows preregistered numbers to be rung back once they ring the designated access number allowing "VoIP" calls to be made from any telephone without the need for a computer or network connection. Diallers are available which can hide this callback.

For other ATAs you might look at this Whirlpool thread - the Cormain mentioned gets good reviews.

slave1

Post by slave1 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 am

Wrong thread soz.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:11 pm

Does the Netcomm V210P have 2 ports? Because if I am going to keep my current phone to answer (incoming) calls and use Voip to make (outgoing) calls, I will need the ATA to have 2 ports. Right?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:59 pm

The Netcomm V210P and also the Minitar MVA11A have similar port arrangements - WAN (for connection to the router), one ethernet LAN (mainly used at home for configuring) and two phone ports. In both cases your telephone handset goes unto one, and a separate filtered phone line for PSTN pass-through goes into the other. You run the separate line from a splitter at the wall outlet.

These ATAs include an automatic switch. Because the ATA has both an internet input and a PSTN phone input you can answer both kinds of call on one handset only - obviously only one at a time. By default, when you pick up the handset to dial out, the ATA is switched to the VoIP line. The ATA provides the tones you hear for VoIP, and these can differ from the familiar Telstra tones as a form of assurance.

So in a nutshell, you only need one ATA handset port for Telstra in and VoIP out. There is no reason why the handset cannot actually be a cordless phone base station - you can then fill the house with VoIP-out, Telstra-in cordless handsets.

If you have any ordinary extensions elsewhere in the house they will function both ways on Telstra as usual. You can then use any Telstra extension and VoIP independently. I've been doing just this for years.

Two and more port ATAs can be bought, but these are designed mainly for multiple VoIP services. Be careful if you look at any of these, as most will not support pass-through. They aren't often used domestically.

fsm

Post by fsm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:05 am

Some people like to use separate phones to keep things simple.

If you have multiple wired extensions and become sufficiently VoIP obsessed you can consider having your telephone
wiring modified so that the ATA can be patched between the extensions and your exchange line. This is a good thing if you want to prepare for the NBN turning up in your home since that will also require the use of ATA for phone access - either your own or the one built into the NTU depending on your preference and those of your ISP. If your NBN NTU can be located near your patch point (or near any telephone extension) it will be a simple matter to accomodate a NBN-era telephone service.

msp

Post by msp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:25 pm

At present, I have a splitter with 2 ports. One of the ports has a cable that is directly connected to the phone base. It is a white coloured cable that is attached to the splitter. The other port on the splitter has the the ADSL cable that is connected to the modem. As there are only 2 ports on the splitter, when I get the ATA does the adapter's cable replace the ASDL cable ? ( ie. the cable that is presently connected to the splitter from the modem)