Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
msp

Re: Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

Post by msp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:12 am

thanks Steve and Dazzled for your replies. I do recall that link for setting-up voip and I have a hard copy of it. I'm not sure if I have to enter a Codec or if it's already set to default by Exetel. If I have to enter one, I believe the optimal ones are G.711 or G.729. Any preferences or should I leave it to default?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am

Australian companies like Netcomm supply these with G.729 and G.711 already there, as these are codecs used here. When you set up an ATA, check that G.729 is first preference, and that G.711A is also present.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 am

Also You can find the set up guide and the configuration details for the V210P here : http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... tup_Guides
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

msp

Post by msp » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:59 am

My ATA V210P has arrived. Is it correct that Exetel charges $5 per month for the Voip Service and the billing cycle is 16th of previous month to 15th of current month? If that is the case, should I wait till 16th to configure, as I would be horrified to be billed $5 for just one day (left of this current cycle) ??

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 pm

msp wrote:My ATA V210P has arrived. Is it correct that Exetel charges $5 per month for the Voip Service and the billing cycle is 16th of previous month to 15th of current month? If that is the case, should I wait till 16th to configure, as I would be horrified to be billed $5 for just one day (left of this current cycle) ??
This change over will be starting from 15/04/2012, but your billing cycle should be same as your ADSL service.

I'll forward your query to our billing department.

Also you can email 'billing@exetel.com.au' for more information.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:23 pm

How many cables should we be using to connect the ATA? Only 2 cables came with it: 2 straight-through cables , one blue and the other yellow. We have one connected to our PC (back of tower) and the othe connected to our modem/router. We connected the filtered cable to our ATA. I feel we are missing another cable?? Our phone service is also down at present.

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:46 pm

msp wrote:How many cables should we be using to connect the ATA? Only 2 cables came with it: 2 straight-through cables , one blue and the other yellow. We have one connected to our PC (back of tower) and the othe connected to our modem/router. We connected the filtered cable to our ATA. I feel we are missing another cable?? Our phone service is also down at present.
Hi msp,

You need to connect the ATA's WAN port to your ADSL modem/router with an Ethernet cable(straight-through cable). But if you have extra Ethernet ports in ADSL modem/router you can connect the PC directly to the ADSL modem/router without connecting it to the ATA device.
But still you can use the straight-through cable cable to connect the PC to the ATA device.

If your land-line is not working you may need to report a case to your telephony provider.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm

OUr phone service is back on. We have just registered successfully with exetel Voip. But can we start using it straight away, because when we go to dial a number, there is no dial tone. Also, our power and SIP lights on the ATA are green but orange on the ethernet. Is there something we have missed ?

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Now that we have registered successfully with Voip, before making any calls, do I have to reconfigure my modem? Or can I leave it as it was previously before applying for Voip?

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Not sure why we can't make voip calls. We have all the green lights. Received the 'sucessfully registered' message from Exetel. Do I have to go to my modem and enable NAT or QoS ? My modem's IP address is 192.1678.0.1 and ATA is 192.168.0.5 set at DHCP.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 pm

If it is registered you should be able to dial out on VoIP.

Check the handset is in the right port, so that it can hear VoIP dial tone, which is generated by the ATA. Do not put a filter in front of the handset.

Next, visit the modem on its new address and compare the settings with viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29512&start=0, or else post them here for comment.

There are only two things to watch in the modem/router, and we can worry about them later: you cannot receive a call unless port 5060 UDP is forwarded to the ATA IP address (you won't get the phone ring, which comes in uninvited on that port). If your modem supports QoS, provide that also, to stop heavy internet traffic in your home from breaking up your calls. This last is usually only important if you have a heavy downloader in the family.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:32 pm

The line cable is connected to the base of the phone handset and phone port is filtered. I haven't done any port forwarding as yet. QoS is unchecked as per modem/router default and we don't do heavy downloading at all. However, all lights are on and registered.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:36 pm

I am about to do port forwarding on my modem/router - NETGEAR DGN2200 and I noticed that in order to do this, I need a static IP address. At present DHCP is enabled? Is this correct? Should I make 192.168.0.1 the static address? (default IP address)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:01 pm

The phone handset goes unfiltered into the port marked PHONE on the Minitar. The LINE port goes to the wall, and is filtered. The LAN port should be empty. Minitar WAN should connect to a router LAN port by ethernet.

Before we worry about Netgear port forwarding etc, get it working.

You can make the Minitar IP static in the WAN config section. Make sure the subnet mask doesn't change. You can also fix the IP using the phone handset - manual p57. Since ATAs are never off, I usually give them the first available IP after the router. ATAs are simply tiny computers, and the same networking procedures that are used for computers apply.

msp

Post by msp » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:22 pm

Thanks for your reply. Firstly, I should make myself clear. I have a hands-free phone that is mounted on the wall. I have a netcomm V210P ATA . There is no cable in the LAN port of the ATA. I do have other cables connected and if by chance, the cables in the phone and line ports are back the front, would I still have been able to register successfully?
Secondly, the netgear DGN 2200 modem/router has no port forwarding as such in its menu, but it does have SIP ALG which is unchecked at present and NAT filtering which is checked and something called Wireless Repeater which has nothing checked beside it.