Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Becoming a Voip customer with Exetel

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:06 pm

Do you have a filter-splitter something like this: http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/asse ... -Sheet.pdf? If you do, the modem is fed from the unfiltered port marked ADSL and the PSTN bypass goes to the ATA from the filtered port usually marked PHONE. Modem feed cables are never filtered.

An alternative is to use something like http://www.netcomm.com.au/netcomm-produ ... ME=support to filter the bypass line to the ATA. In that case you need a simple unfiltered wall splitter such as http://dicksmith.com.au/product/F2112/d ... le-adaptor or this http://dicksmith.com.au/product/F2111/m ... le-adaptor, depending on the type of phone socket you have. As before, the modem feed is unfiltered.

If you are fortunate enough to have two phone wall outlets, you could use them both - one for the unfiltered modem, and the other for the in-line filter and ATA bypass.

Your phone base will be plugged, unfiltered, into the ATA phone outlet.

msp

Post by msp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 pm

We have that filter-splitter as shown in your link - http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/..... I looked at our filter and yes, we have one port filtered and one port unfiltered and correctly connected (one to the phone base and one to the ADSL port of the modem). Our Modem has 4 ethernet ports, 1 ADSL port and one Power port. (Netgear N300 wireless ADSL 2+ Modem Router) Does the ATA cable connect to one of those ethernet ports on the modem as well to the filtered port of the splitter?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:43 pm

The ATA sends VoIP calls over the internet, so you need to connect the WAN port of the ATA to one of the four LAN ports of your modem/router. It really is just another computer, permanently running a software phone. My previous post was about the separate PSTN service which simply passes through the ATA to your phone base. This is the final cable arrangement.

Depending on the ATA you buy you will probably configure it separately from the network with a computer attached to the ATA LAN port, then disconnect and set up the cables as I described for the final arrangement. This is because most Netgear stuff lives at 192.168.1.1 which is not in the same IP range as the factory default of many ATAs (Netcomm and Minitar included). Doing it separately is a simple way to overcome that problem.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:55 am

I know that one of your ATA recommendations was the Netcomm V210P, but upon looking in the Exetel Voip sales form, I noticed that it isn't listed. Has it been replaced or am I looking in the wrong section? I noticed there was a C610P hardware but extremely overpriced.

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

msp wrote:I know that one of your ATA recommendations was the Netcomm V210P, but upon looking in the Exetel Voip sales form, I noticed that it isn't listed. Has it been replaced or am I looking in the wrong section? I noticed there was a C610P hardware but extremely overpriced.
Hi,

I have checked this with the sales team and it appears that the Netcomm V210P is no longer available from Exetel.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:55 am

What a pity that the Exetel V210P is no longer available as it was quoted to be around $70. Has it been replaced by something else ? I'm wondering if it's been discontinued everywhere or only with Exetel? If I purchase a similar type ATA from a computer store, will it be okay and compatible to use with Netcomm hardware? It's like mixing and matching different brand names. The modem is one brand and the ATA will now be a different brand (as the v210p is no longer available). What is your opinion?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:09 pm

msp wrote:What a pity that the Exetel V210P is no longer available as it was quoted to be around $70. Has it been replaced by something else ? I'm wondering if it's been discontinued everywhere or only with Exetel? If I purchase a similar type ATA from a computer store, will it be okay and compatible to use with Netcomm hardware? It's like mixing and matching different brand names. The modem is one brand and the ATA will now be a different brand (as the v210p is no longer available). What is your opinion?
Hi,

This model is no longer available only from Exetel and probably you can get one form a local shop :wink:

If you are going for a different brand, it wouldn't be a problem but it's always best to check with the ATA/Modem manufacture for the compatibility :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:37 pm

It is a pity. Netcomm discontinued it, so remaining stocks have to be looked for. The current tendency is for all-in-one units or else gear with small business in mind.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:41 pm

How do I know which DID number to select: Looking at the regions available, I am closest to Sydney, so do I just pick any DID number in that region? I'm a bit confused about these numbers. I thought my VSP provider would give me the most reliable and convenient and secure DID number.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 pm

It's internet telephony, so no matter where your DID is "supposed" to be located, your calls travel via the Sydney routers. In other words, the quality is the same whatever locale you pick. It doesn't matter for outward call pricing either, as there are no trunk calls - all Australian numbers are the same charge. Many users have DIDs located nominally in another city.

What can matter is the price to others of inward calls, if you intend to receive any. Telstra does price by locale, even though its systems are also computerised. If your mother lives in Melbourne, for example, get a Melbourne 03 DID and her daily calls to it are local to her, not STD. If you don't intend to tell anyone your DID, get a local one, as If you ring for taxis etc a 13xxxx call for a taxi might put you being somewhere else.

When you make a VoIP call to a PSTN number, it is carried over the internet connection to Exetel, where it is switched to the wholesale VoIP provider who routes it to an installation near your target, which then automatically places a wholesale priced local PSTN call.

If you call another DID, the call travels all the way on the net. If the target is an Exetel DID, the call never leaves the Exetel system, and is free. Basically, when your ATA registers, it is telling the system which internet IP address the DID is currently to be found at.

msp

Post by msp » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I'm not sure whether I'm doing the right thing but I think I will search online for a Nettcomm V210P. I have seen some going for less than $70. If we didn't have a router already, I would have considered an all-in-one, but our router is only 3 months old and its working really well. Any reason why the V210P has been dropped? Would you say the ATA is better than the all-in-one or vice versa?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:31 pm

I had no trouble finding a few online, but not from dealers I have any knowledge of. The trouble is that separate domestic ATAs with PSTN pass-through appear to be turning into an endangered species. Minitar and Linksys still have models.

msp

Post by msp » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:03 am

When purchasing the v210p from outside of Exetel, will the user names and passwords be contained with the product or do they have to be obtained thru' Exetel? Before configuring the ATA, do I still have to let Exetel know or can I go ahead and configure, then let Exetel know I'd like to have Voip?

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Post by stevecJ » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:44 am

msp wrote:When purchasing the v210p from outside of Exetel, will the user names and passwords be contained with the product or do they have to be obtained thru' Exetel? Before configuring the ATA, do I still have to let Exetel know or can I go ahead and configure, then let Exetel know I'd like to have Voip?
The Voip service should be obtained via Exetel and it's not necessary to inform Exetel prior configuring the ATA but if you require any assistance setting it up, you can always calls us :)

However I couldn't see a Voip account under your service, so all you need to do is to order one via the Members facilities >> Order Services >> Voip. Once you select a number and order, it will email you the username and the password.

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:54 am

I included a link to the method of setting up a V210P as an example in one of my first posts. Other makes have similar forms to fill in. They all come blank from the factory.

As stevecJ mentioned, Exetel will send you the DID and password when you apply. The SIP server IP address is the same for all Exetel VoIP services, 58.96.1.2 . You'll have VoIP running as soon as the device you get is configured, as it will automatically go online and register the service.