Voip number cannot be called from some numbers

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Baldrick

Voip number cannot be called from some numbers

Post by Baldrick » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:28 pm

Just found this week that my voip numbers are failing when called from a business in Armidale.
I tried calling my number from their phones on 2 different lines this morning including trying to ring my voip from the business fax line in order to bypass any possible problems coming from the pbx & in every case I get a message stating that "the number cannot be connected, please check the number & try again"
This happens after dialling the 3rd digit of the main voip number. i.e. my number is 02 6702xxxx & the unable to connect message comes after dialling just 02670

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Re: Voip number cannot be called from some numbers

Post by lodperera » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:42 am

Please PM me your VoIP number for us to further investigate.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:46 am

Baldrick wrote:i.e. my number is 02 6702xxxx & the unable to connect message comes after dialling just 02670
if the message comes up before finishing dialing it sounds like their carrier hasn't updated call routing tables to included this number range, have they also reported the issue with their provider, any feedback?

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:47 pm

jokiin wrote:
if the message comes up before finishing dialing it sounds like their carrier hasn't updated call routing tables to included this number range, have they also reported the issue with their provider, any feedback?
Seems odd as this company are using Tel$tra as their carrier & my VoIp numbers have been in service for well over 1 year.
the only report they have made is complaining to me that they can only contact me via my mobile.
( I actually argued the point that they were dialling an incorrect number, but I was up there working yesterday & tried calling my number & found indeed that the number comes up as not a valid number. )

(PM sent also to lodperera )

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:16 pm

still sounds like a call routing issue, even if it worked previously something has changed, if they were dialing the whole number I would think otherwise but only getting a few digits into the sequence sounds wrong, I would have thought a dial rule was in place at their end but you said you bypassed their PBX and still had an issue, is the fax line an external line to the PBX, eg no analogue card in the PBX?

as a further test any chance of someone there visiting a neighbor of theirs connected through the same exchange and asking them to dial the number and see if it rings or cuts off after the first few digits?

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:25 pm

As per the discussion, we will be waiting till Tuesday to see an update from you..

Baldrick told me that he will try to check with another person's place in Armidale.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:11 pm

I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it, was just throwing a few ideas out there to try in the mean time

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:47 pm

I just did a test with a friend up in Armidale. She has a telephone service only. No internet, etc.
She is unable to call me on my Voip, so it is looking like this is definately an issue with Telstra routing in Armidale itself. So far it appears as though it must be isolated to Armidale as I have been using Voip via Exetel for a long time & have never seen this before with businesses from Sydney, Melbourne, all other people locally around my area, etc never having hinted at any problem getting through to me.
I will wait until Tuesday & call Telstra from the office in Armidale to report this issue.
( I will note that I have had a couple of people fail to return calls to me on reasonably important matters which until now I have just considered them to be too self important, etc to bother returning calls to me. Maybe I will need to chase these people up now... :roll: )

Mandella

Post by Mandella » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:38 am

This same problem was reported on this forum (as a rough guess) about two years ago.

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:28 am

I didn't get time yesterday to report this fault to Telstra from an offending phone number while I was in Armidale, so instead I tried reporting via Telstra faults this morning from Tamworth where everything works no problem.
In the case of calling their '13xx faults number I got the usual press this option, etc until I eventually got a real person who then switched me to another person who in turn switch me to another person until eventually I ended up back on the automated choose this option, etc.....
I have then physically gone to the Telstra business centre in Tamworth. They did do their best to help, but at the end of the day claim it is up to Exetel to sort this problem.
The main person I spoke to at the business centre tells me that when Exetel reports this it needs to use the keyword of being a "conan" fault.
Also, the guy at the business centre tells me it is known problem with Telstra with them having similar issues in the last week in the Taree & Port Macquarie regions, but did not say if this invloved Exetel or other provider services.

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi Baldrick,

According to the information you provided through PM, you are using 8 digit number to dial from Armidale.

Can you check with the 10 digit number and let us know?

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:27 pm

lodperera wrote:Hi Baldrick,

According to the information you provided through PM, you are using 8 digit number to dial from Armidale.

Can you check with the 10 digit number and let us know?
It makes no difference whether I use 8 or 10 digits. Adding the area state code [02] to the start makes no difference.

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Baldrick

We have escalated your issue though Ticket ID: 5072312 to the upstream carrier.

An update will be available within 24/48hrs.

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:05 am

Hi Baldrick,

Please test your service through an Armidale Telstra service as our upstream carrier confirms that the issue has been fixed.

And let us know :D

Baldrick

Post by Baldrick » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:25 pm

lodperera wrote:Hi Baldrick,

Please test your service through an Armidale Telstra service as our upstream carrier confirms that the issue has been fixed.

And let us know :D
Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. Been very busy is all.
I made a test call from the office in Armidale this morning & yes, all is now working. :)