LNP of call-diversion-only Telstra number

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
foxbat

LNP of call-diversion-only Telstra number

Post by foxbat » Tue May 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi. A variation of the normal LNP porting process, hoping someone can answer my questions before I try it for real.

I have a slightly unusual set-up here. There are 3 Telstra numbers involved, which I will call 49, 51 and 99 (being the last 2 digits of each). They're all Sydney suburban numbers.

49 and 51 are standard Telstra PSTN lines. 49 has call-divert-on-busy to 51, which I'd imagine is irrelevant, but I mention it just in case.
99 is a call-diversion-only number (no physical line), which I brought with me when I moved in. Much easier than telling lots of people and organisations a new phone number, but it costs (nearly) the same as a standard PSTN line, plus a phone call diversion cost for each incoming call. It also confuses some people when they see a different number on their Caller ID displays...

I'd now like to shift 99 to an Exetel VoIP arrangement, keeping the number via LNP. It's not just the cost advantage; VoIP has its various features to make it more versatile for me.

I've read through http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=30761 (particularly the last page) and while the information is getting a bit dated, I'm hoping it's still correct and want to check that too. I've done the initial service qualification check and it returns "Enabled".

So, the questions:

Firstly, can a call-diversion-only number be ported to Exetel VoIP? It still has an account number and all that, just no physical line. I can't see why it would be any different (except that there is less jumpering at the exchange), but there's not much of a result if Telstra won't let it go.

If the rest of these questions are answered more recently than in the topic mentioned above, feel free to point me towards the relevant place. I found many different views in many places, so grouping them here may be beneficial.

I'm already an Exetel member for ADSL and a variety of other services. I don't want to change that; I just want to add a VoIP service. To actually do the transfer, do I just continue after the SQ check on that web page? It seems to be aimed at new users, whereas most additions are normally done by ordering services from the Exetel member facilities page.

Similarly, how do I have the VoIP service added to my existing Exetel account, rather than starting a new one?

How do I say I want to port 99 as the phone number for VoIP? I have seen mention of sending emails explaining the circumstances to provisioning@exetel; is that still the appropriate method? At what stage in the transfer request do I do that?

If it doesn't work out and I want to port 99 away from Exetel again (I'm not expecting to do this, but it's important to me), am I similarly able to use LNP to do so (assuming it stays within Sydney)?

Are there any other questions I should have asked that didn't occur to me? :?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

udara
Exetel Staff

Re: LNP of call-diversion-only Telstra number

Post by udara » Tue May 29, 2012 4:35 pm

I have forwarded your query to our provisioning team who will be able to look into it and advise you appropriately :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 31, 2012 12:45 am

viewtopic.php?f=289&t=39438 might be of interest to you. I was curious of this exact same question (a family friend has a Telstra landline - a call-diversion number - permanently redirected to his mobile and I was seeking whether it is possible to save on costs by porting it to a VOIP number).

https://www.exetel.com.au/pstn_to_voip/ ... siness.php seems to one method of applying for such a transfer.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

foxbat

Post by foxbat » Thu May 31, 2012 6:06 pm

Hi Corey.

Thanks for the link. Yes, similar situation. I was wondering: is there a role for MoIP in what your friend is trying to do? Register SIP from home when he's there, or from his mobile when he's not.

I had done the initial service qualification check via the pstn_to_voip link (probably skipped a few steps about that in my original post) but apparently that doesn't do much more than check that the number is portable in the first place (eg PSTN vs an ISP's VoIP).

An update on where things are:
Provisioning called me a little while after I posted (thanks, udara), to check they had the right idea of what I was trying to do and requested an email to confirm details. The transfer is now under way in the initial acceptance/rejection stage. I expect to know the result of that in a few days.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Thu May 31, 2012 9:43 pm

foxbat wrote:Hi Corey.

Thanks for the link. Yes, similar situation. I was wondering: is there a role for MoIP in what your friend is trying to do? Register SIP from home when he's there, or from his mobile when he's not.
Possibly. But I think all parties involved (especially me, who would be on the hook for technical support) would prefer the ease of just a regular diversion
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

foxbat

Post by foxbat » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Final update: it's all complete. Works too :D

What I thought was the qualification stage turned out to be the transfer itself.

So, I guess I can answer some of my original questions:
- Yes, LNP of a diversion-only number works.
- The process was done via email (and this forum) rather than the usual application, probably because it's a bit "special case" (Exetel tends to have these requests from business rather than residential users).
- Adding the number to my ADSL profile was sorted by email (it was originally a new account).
- The whole thing went smoothly.

Corey: No worries. I understand your position with regard to supporting someone else's set-up.

Thanks all.

foxbat

Post by foxbat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:14 am

OK, final final update.

Telstra charged me $8 for a "Local Number Portability Service Fee". Could have been worse...