VOIP ringing delay

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
somer

Re: VOIP ringing delay

Post by somer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:I'm stabbing in the dark a bit (I'm not a VoIP designer), but it possible to influence the result by using G.711 only? Is the echo canceller or automatic gain control involved?
have just changed that setting so only G.711 is set as codec
codecs.jpg
codecs.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 1407 times
as for your other suggestions, sorry you are pushing my very limited technical know how to the limit when you ask me about the echo canceller or automatic gain control. where do i find this one please?

somer

Post by somer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:34 pm

Dazzled wrote:You won't receive a call on X-lite without port forwarding port 5060 UDP from the modem, and possibly without disabling modem VoiP as well (as some units intercept all incoming VoIP traffic). The modem firewall by default passes any attempt at VoIP ringing into the inbuilt ATA..
ok that looks like a last resort to me!!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Gain control is a feature of the firmware programming, meant to eliminate echo, and may or may not have any user adjustment, according to brand and model. I just had a very quick squiz at your user manual and only noticed Ingress and egress gain settings available on the browser interface. I don't have one myself to try or delve into. On codecs, μ-law is mainly used in the US, not here. I only guessed at trying G.711 as it is less compressed by the processor, where I feel the problem lies.

I would have thought that Netcomm would know something about this.

somer

Post by somer » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:25 pm

i will have to try netcomm again but they couldn't understand that we are using telstra number not voip number for all incoming calls which made it difficult to communicate meaningfully!! i found myself swearing at their replies! (to myself of course) hence trying this forum again