Callingcard VOIP mapping indial #s to outdial #s

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
samarium

Callingcard VOIP mapping indial #s to outdial #s

Post by samarium » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:22 am

I'ved been a frustrated VOIP users for a few years, across multiple providors. The call quality has been poor, I think becuase of congested backhaul. Certainly something that I would like to see is a VOIP connection debugging tool, however I'm not holding my breath.

After Exetel started requiring paid DIDs for VOIP, I discontinued my Exetel VOIP connection, but retained by Pennytel DIDless for those occassional overseas calls. Noise situation was the same for both, I could hear ok with a but of noise, however the remote end was noisy, one of both ends were possibly jitter related probably due to backhaul congestion where I see my link varying from 2Mb/s to 16Mb/s download depending upon the time of day.

Anyway, given I have plenty of free minutes on my Exetel Mobile plan, I wondered of the Exetel calling card would perform OK once I my internet connection out of the call.

So I signed up for a calling card, using by account registered credit card as payment source on Friday night, and got ... nothing. I expected to have a valid calling card and PIN immediately allocated and usable. What I have is a ticket in the Exetel helpdesk system asking for it to be fixed. Not impressed,

However despite all that, I decided to look at pennytel again. I found that they have revamped things a bit and have a nice automated outcall system. They have 100 indial numbers, and, using their web interface, I can map each to a different outdial number when I call from a particular phone #. This is nice. I just call an indial # with my registered phone, and it automatcially outdials the correct number, no PIN, no entering the number, just get connected. And the audio result was what I wanted too, much clearer audio at both ends of the connection.

So thank you Exetel for screwing up my calling card application, as I've found a better solution. I'm still expecting my calling card application to be fixed some time, and will test the connection, however it would have to be significantly, almost impossibly, better line quality that of the Pennytel connection to make it worthwhile going the the hassle of typing PINs and phone numbers in order to make a connection, compared to just dialing a local australian number.

Note this isn't a rant against Exetel services per say, as in general I think Exetel does a good job, however I think there are clear areas Exetel can improve:

1. Exetel needs a mechanism to characterise backhaul and mobile congestion so the customer can see where the problem is located, as these seem to be significant sources of customer frustration, and it also seem that these would help your helpdesk personell assisting customers. Preferably there should be a service level agreement between Exetel and the backhaul/mobile operator with mandated levels and remediation timelimits, but I don't see this happening in a hurry given the NBN and Exetel's small size vs the incumbent telcos.

2. As I said above, VOIP tuning is a black art, even for those who are technically minded. Lots of room for improvement here.

3. Seems like you have issues in your calling card provisioning.

4. Lots of room for improvement for calling card automated calling. Personally I'd rather see it integrated with account based VOIP, and not hove to use "calling card" at all, and to allow for DIDless operation with the option to set the outbound callerid to something I have registered already.

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Callingcard VOIP mapping indial #s to outdial #s

Post by ShaminG » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:19 am

1. Exetel needs a mechanism to characterise backhaul and mobile congestion so the customer can see where the problem is located, as these seem to be significant sources of customer frustration, and it also seem that these would help your helpdesk personell assisting customers. Preferably there should be a service level agreement between Exetel and the backhaul/mobile operator with mandated levels and remediation timelimits, but I don't see this happening in a hurry given the NBN and Exetel's small size vs the incumbent telcos.
When it comes to backhaul, we always monitor our links and upgrade where necessary so there is no contention in Exetel network. However, when it's wholesale carrier's network thing are out of our reach. :(
2. As I said above, VOIP tuning is a black art, even for those who are technically minded. Lots of room for improvement here.

3. Seems like you have issues in your calling card provisioning.

4. Lots of room for improvement for calling card automated calling. Personally I'd rather see it integrated with account based VOIP, and not hove to use "calling card" at all, and to allow for DIDless operation with the option to set the outbound callerid to something I have registered already.
I have raised the concern with our VoIP/Development teams. Your points are valid and definitely there is room for improvement.