Voip Ready light out on Dynalink RTA1046VW

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
basshead

Voip Ready light out on Dynalink RTA1046VW

Post by basshead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:39 pm

For the last week or so, my "VOIP Ready" light has gone out on my Dynalink RTA1046VW modem. I've experienced this on rare occasions over the past few years, however the last week it happens several times a day. All the fields are empty on the "SIP Basic" page from the Voice settings menu. The only way to fix it is to reboot the modem, and afterwards the VOIP Ready light remains lit for anywhere from about 10 minutes up to several hours. The duration appears to be completely random. No calls can be made out when the light is not lit, and incoming calls are diverted immedaitely to the "built-in" messagebank system (not sure if this is provided by Exetel or the modem, but I receive an email with a .wav file of the recorded message left by the caller).

I thought I'd post here before logging a fault ticket in the odd chance Exetel's VOIP settings have changed without me noticing an email/announcement, or if there's a known recent problem with Exetel's VOIP server/system...

Any help would be appreciated.

I've been told in the past when I've had issues to "flash the modem to the latest firmware" - but last time I did that I ended up with a Netcomm brick, so am not keen to follow that route of problem-solving!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Voip Ready light out on Dynalink RTA1046VW

Post by Dazzled » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm

The message bank and wav file are by Exetel - the phone didn't answer. It's possible your modem is on the way out, but Dynalinks have been very reliable so far. Empty fields on the SIP Basic page are definitely not normal - even if the service drops, these memory settings should be retained. A reboot reloads the values from the permanent memory.

What is the firmware (black sidebar on the left)? The current version is 3.65.

shoner

Post by shoner » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:04 pm

however the last week it happens several times a day. All the fields are empty on the "SIP Basic" page from the Voice settings menu. The only way to fix it is to reboot the modem, and afterwards the VOIP Ready light remains lit for anywhere from about 10 minutes up to several hours.
Exetel has no changed any of its sip server settings. Even if sip server settings change from Exetel's end the settings taht you programmed into your modem should remains as they are until someone manually changes them. Iif the fields are empty then it could be something to do with the firmware.
The duration appears to be completely random. No calls can be made out when the light is not lit, and incoming calls are diverted immedaitely to the "built-in" messagebank system (not sure if this is provided by Exetel or the modem, but I receive an email with a .wav file of the recorded message left by the caller).
The voicemail service is from Exetel's. At the moment I can see your voip service online. If and when this happens again, I suggest that you use a voip softphone application, configure the sip settings into it along with your voip username and password and see if the issue still persists. If it does then you need to log a fault with us. If it does not then you need to get in touch with your modem manufacturer.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:52 pm

My wife says the internet repeatedly drops out during the daytime (while I'm at work) since the VOIP started playing up too. I've just experienced it myself, and the VOIP Ready light went out about 20 minutes after I reset the modem earlier this evening...

Firmware version is 3.63u.

If I update the firmware, it may or may not resolve the issues, particularly if the modem is "on it's way out" (I thought electronics simply failed, not became intermittent). I'll give that a try after I try the "software" VOIP (I wonder if the PC/laptop needs to be permanently on for this to work? I'll read the docs for the software when I find some).

Thanks for the ideas so far...

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:21 pm

When the power supply fails intermittently, odd things happen with memory. Take off the cover and inspect the capacitor canisters - these usually go first. If the ends are blown (like a food can gone off), so has the capacitor. Turn the power off first for safety.

If you want to upgrade, a copy of 3.65 can be downloaded from http://exetel.com.au/files/cfe-rta1046v ... pb025c.dat. (the file name ends in .pac, BTW, don't ask)
See also http://exewiki.exetel.com.au/index.php? ... leshooting. Upgrade instructions are at http://media.netcomm.com.au/public/asse ... ctions.pdf. This requires a functional memory - just start the process and don't touch anything until it is finished - you can wipe stuff if you do.

For a very simple softphone that has a version for every system, try http://www.linphone.org/. Download the appropriate version of 3.5.2 (Windows, Linux, Mac, Iphone as needed, from http://www.linphone.org/eng/download/pa ... phone.html). Yes the PC needs to be on, and it would be a good idea to turn the Dynalink VoIP off to avoid clashes. You won't receive incoming calls on a softphone unless the modem has port 5060 UDP forwarded to the computer (the default Dynalink firewall rules won't permit it). To use a softphone you'll need a mike and speaker - most laptops now include both.

[ps] If you wish to check the accuracy of your 3.65 download (I'm anal, and always do), the md5 checksum is 71de08eabbe478ea9f90232ed2ddd54d.

basshead

Post by basshead » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

I installed Zoiper and after a few minutes setting up, I called out perfectly on the first attempt - while all the fields in the Voip modem settings were blank (again).

Returning the call (from mobile) also worked fine.

I wonder what would happen if the modem Voip was registered (ie: which would answer - the modem or the softvoip)? :)

This will mean I'd need to leave the laptop on and open to receive calls...

At least my wife can make outgoing calls (after I install Zoiper on her laptop) in the short term.

Still not ideal if my 5 y/o son needs to make an an emergency phone call.

Dazzled, are the "power supply capacitors" in the modem itself, or the wall plug-pack? The modem does feel warm; perhaps components are overheating. It has stood vertically it's entire life. I know what to look for as my previous mobo suffered the same death.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:38 pm

If you use the telnet interface and extract the Dynalink firewall rules (the command is iptables -L), the very first incoming rule is to grab udp packets on port 5060 for the benefit of the Dynalink-registered VoIp service. Port forwarding annuls this rule and sends an incoming uninvited packet to your computer, where the softphone gets it.

UDP 5060 is used to pass the various handshakes used in VoIP, particularly the signal to ring the phone. When the softphone starts a call on the other hand, it becomes "established" in the router table, and the traffic is passed.

The capacitors are part of the internal power supply of the modem. Wrong Dynalink model, but this has pics - http://www.vectorcomms.com/fix-DynaLink.html

[PS} Still the wrong model, but here's another http://www.kirrawee.net/dynalink/. Or this - https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... NTM4MjdmNg