Voip Question on NBN

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
confusion

Voip Question on NBN

Post by confusion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi, just wondering if some one could help answer a couple of questions? I have a new NBN fibre connection running through an Apple Air port extreme. I am wondering if I port my telstra number over to voip does it run through the current connection or does it use a different port on the NTD? Will a ATA or internet phone work with the router? If I port my number will local callers get charged local or STD rates. I am located in Armidale
Many thanks in advance

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Voip Question on NBN

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 pm

I wouldn't port your Telstra number - I'd get a new VoIP service. That way your house has two phone services. Let callers come in as at present on a familiar number - they pay for those calls - and yours go out on the low cost Exetel service. Several ATA brands can switch this way automatically.

ATAs+standard handsets, and also special digital VoIP handsets both work on the router internet connection.

Since Exetel VoIP calls cost the same wherever the number is nominally located for billing purposes, it doesn't matter to you which city you pick. All your out calls will go via Exetel's routers in Sydney. If you ring a PSTN number then at some point near the recipient it will be passed to the local phone network - that's what the low call fee includes.

If you have a regular caller from say Newcastle, then you might get a Newcastle DID and Telstra will charge your Newcastle friend a local untimed call. You can choose an interstate number if you wish. Numbers for NSW are located for charging purposes at Sydney, Wollongong, Newcastle, Penrith, Gosford, Campbelltown, and Wagga, and people calling the DID on a PSTN line are charged the rate for the appropriate location. (Tamworth and Armidale missed out).

confusion

Post by confusion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

Thanks for that. The only trouble is Telstra is going to discontinue the the phone line. May have to go with Telstra voip service if I have to unless you can think of anything else?
Thanks again for the reply

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 pm

I use an ATA on the NBN, very successfully. Exetel don't offer voice calls through the NTU V ports, they (exetel) are VoIP only on the NBN. The ATA can be plugged into the AirPort. But if you can get your number ported to Exetel VoIP then you're set. Callers to you will be charged the same as they are currently charged for calling that number, unless they're also on Exetel VoIP in which case it will be free (VoIP to VoIP same company are free).

lodperera
Exetel Staff

Post by lodperera » Fri May 17, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi confussed,

peterh_oz and Dazzled are correct regarding the info provided.

However if Telstra is about to cancel the service, then you should do the following promptly to successfully port your number.

1. Advise Telstra to cancel all pending orders on your PSTN service. (if there are any pending orders, the porting request will fail)
2. Submit a porting request to check eligibility viahttps://www.exetel.com.au/pstn_to_voip/ ... siness.php or contact sales team for clarification.
3. When the order is submitted, contact provisioning team to expedite your order.

regards
LOD