Inbound VOIP does not work

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
abbo56

Inbound VOIP does not work

Post by abbo56 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:11 pm

I have connected and configured a new Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX wireless modem router.
For the PSTN/VOIP function I connected a Uniden DSS 2465 base unit supplying 3 handsets around the house. This Uniden was connected directly to the Phone socket on the modem. The only land line socket connection in the house in use is feeding a splitter with the ADSL1 output going to the modem and the Phone outlet connected to the Uniden.

Things are working well except that I cannot receive incoming calls to my Exetel provided VOIP number.

When first connected, the modem telephone function would allow outgoing VOIP calls. I am not sure if I checked the incoming VOIP number function. The PSTN service however would not ring the Uniden for incoming calls.
I upgraded the modem firm ware to the latest version 2.24a and that fixed the PSTN issue. I could also make outgoing VOIP calls. Things seemed to be working well-a big improvement over my older modem.
I have now found that inbound calls to my VOIP number is registering with the caller as "unable to be connected" with an appropriate service unavailable tone in their earpiece. When I call my VOIP number from my mobile a message comes up saying "check network services"
I can still make calls outbound using my VOIP facility and the connection is fine.
I have set the modem VOIP codec to G711 only, as recommended from this forum. I have confirmed the setup details for the modem and all seems correct
Because the outgoing function is working for VOIP I am suspecting the issue may be a technical fault at the Exetel end.
Does anyone have suggestions for things I could try in solving this issue before I raise a fault ticket.
I have enough "computer skills" to get myself into trouble but I am no whiz when it comes to technical jargon
Thanks
Abbo

stevecJ
Forum Admin

Re: Inbound VOIP does not work

Post by stevecJ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 pm

abbo56 wrote:I have connected and configured a new Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX wireless modem router.
For the PSTN/VOIP function I connected a Uniden DSS 2465 base unit supplying 3 handsets around the house. This Uniden was connected directly to the Phone socket on the modem. The only land line socket connection in the house in use is feeding a splitter with the ADSL1 output going to the modem and the Phone outlet connected to the Uniden.

Things are working well except that I cannot receive incoming calls to my Exetel provided VOIP number.

When first connected, the modem telephone function would allow outgoing VOIP calls. I am not sure if I checked the incoming VOIP number function. The PSTN service however would not ring the Uniden for incoming calls.
I upgraded the modem firm ware to the latest version 2.24a and that fixed the PSTN issue. I could also make outgoing VOIP calls. Things seemed to be working well-a big improvement over my older modem.
I have now found that inbound calls to my VOIP number is registering with the caller as "unable to be connected" with an appropriate service unavailable tone in their earpiece. When I call my VOIP number from my mobile a message comes up saying "check network services"
I can still make calls outbound using my VOIP facility and the connection is fine.
I have set the modem VOIP codec to G711 only, as recommended from this forum. I have confirmed the setup details for the modem and all seems correct
Because the outgoing function is working for VOIP I am suspecting the issue may be a technical fault at the Exetel end.
Does anyone have suggestions for things I could try in solving this issue before I raise a fault ticket.
I have enough "computer skills" to get myself into trouble but I am no whiz when it comes to technical jargon
Thanks
Abbo
Hi Abbo,

One of our support engineers will shortly get in touch with you in order to further check on this.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================

SajithaH
Exetel Staff

Post by SajithaH » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I have connected and configured a new Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX wireless modem router.

Thanks
Abbo[/quote]
stevecJ wrote:
abbo56 wrote:Hi Abbo,

One of our support engineers will shortly get in touch with you in order to further check on this.
Hi Abbo,
I have tried to call you, and left a Voice mail as you were not available at that time. Therefore I have sent you an email please follow the instructions and get back to us if the issue persisting

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am

Hi all,
A tech person had me install a soft phone to check the service and all worked as advertised. So I guess this means I have a set up issue.
I have tried countless combinations in the VOIP set up protocol as "explained" in the Billion user manual but non of them allows for incoming calls to my VOIP number.
I am hoping there is a user out there who has a Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX and could detail their setup inputs for all the VOIP configuration.
Most of the manual's terminology does not match the information details I have available to input so I am finding things a big hit and miss in trying to do the setup.
I have also tried disabling my firewall and other protective software but this had no effect. I guess this is not the problem anyway because the soft phone on my laptop, which runs through the wireless modem/router, worked well with the soft phone.
Any assistance would be appreciated
Thanks
Abbo

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 am

Are SIP Domain Name and SIP Proxy both set to 58.96.1.2?

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:54 pm

The settings I had when I could make outbound calls but no inbound were: I have tried to provide the vertical listing as shown on the modem screen (eg SIP Domain name is sip1.exetel.com.au and so on)
Service Provider
> Service Provider Name SIP Domain Name SIP Proxy / Port SIP Outbound Proxy / Port
> Exetel sip1.exetel.com.au sip1.exetel.com.au / 5060 sip1.exetel.com.au / 5060
SIP Registrar / Port Registration Expire Timeout Registration Retry Interval SIP Transport Protocol
sip1.exetel.com.au / 5060 3600 20 UDP

> SIP Account
> Parameters
> Account Name Enable Incoming Phone Port Service Provider Name Extension Display Name Username
1 Enabled Both Exetel 1254 02800xxxxx 02800xxxxx

Answering Machine Send Messages Via E-mail DTMF Method Answering Machine Access Code
> Disabled Disabled RFC2833 *#03

I changed the SIP Domain name and SIP Proxy to 58.96.1.2 and I lost the outgoing call function (just gave the engaged signal) and still had the connection error signal when trying to call in on the voip
I changed the domain and proxy figures back to sip1.exetel.com.au and I have not regained the ability to make outgoing calls like I had before I made the alteration.
I also tried various combinations of 58.96.1.2 into other locations of the service provider but no good
I am sorry but I cannot figure out what has changed so that I cannot make outbound calls now?????
Abbo

abbo56

Post by abbo56 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 pm

I did some more internet searching and found Billion have recently released a firmware upgrade: 2.24b
Immediately after purchase I upgraded to 2.24a which was only a day or so before the 2.24b upgrade was released

I was reluctant to restart with factory settings so installed and restarted with current settings

VOIP and internet access now work perfectly.
Hopefully this is the end of the issues. Time will tell

Thanks for the assistance so far
Abbo

udara
Exetel Staff

Post by udara » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:28 pm

abbo56 wrote:I did some more internet searching and found Billion have recently released a firmware upgrade: 2.24b
Immediately after purchase I upgraded to 2.24a which was only a day or so before the 2.24b upgrade was released

I was reluctant to restart with factory settings so installed and restarted with current settings

VOIP and internet access now work perfectly.
Hopefully this is the end of the issues. Time will tell

Thanks for the assistance so far
Abbo
Good to hear that All the services are working now :)
To Log a fault ticket, please click Here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

==============
Exetel Support Portal
==============