VOIP registration drops out

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
MichaelL

VOIP registration drops out

Post by MichaelL » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 am

I have a Netcomm nf3adv wireless router with PSTN failback. Every 2 or 3 days the VOIP drops out, and the failback fails to failback - that is, there's no connection either via VOiP or via PSTN. ADSL is unaffected. Logging on to the router, all is normal except that the SIP is "unregistered". Rebooting the router restores the VOiP connection.

All settings apprear to be correct both when it's working and when it isn't. Can anyone offer suggestions as to the solution?

Thanks

Michael

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: VOIP registration drops out

Post by KavindaS » Wed May 22, 2013 6:12 pm

MichaelL wrote:I have a Netcomm nf3adv wireless router with PSTN failback. Every 2 or 3 days the VOIP drops out, and the failback fails to failback - that is, there's no connection either via VOiP or via PSTN. ADSL is unaffected. Logging on to the router, all is normal except that the SIP is "unregistered". Rebooting the router restores the VOiP connection.

All settings apprear to be correct both when it's working and when it isn't. Can anyone offer suggestions as to the solution?

Thanks

Michael
Have you done a hard reset on the device after this issues started? If possible you may check with that to see if the factory reset and the reconfigure will able to replicate the issue. Keep in my if you reset, it will clear all the current settings in your router and you may need to have the settings to reconfigure.

If not for few days you can monitor the voip service using a soft phone (Xlite, Zoiper or any recommended) for testing purposes. If you get the same issue with the soft phone too, drop us a email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au stating your voip service details for further investigation.

Example -
Please un-register the VOIP account in your VOIP equipment(remove VOIP username, password, then save the settings)
Then test VOIP service by using a softphone: XLite (download -- http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite.html)

Note - Currently we don't have any known reported issues within the sip server.

MichaelL

Post by MichaelL » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks, Kavindas.

yes, I've done a hard reset. I'll try the softphone option as suggested and get back to you.

Regards,
Michael

rodtod

Post by rodtod » Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 am

I have the same problem.
I have been putting up with it for over a year (I must be crazy).
I have previously factory reset the modem and no difference.

I had a similar problem on previous modems and had hoped the NF3ADV would solve it.
I have checked my setup against the Netcomm guide for exetel and this modem and it is correct.

rodtod

kushanw
Exetel Staff

Post by kushanw » Sat May 25, 2013 10:29 am

Hi rodtod,

Could you please check with a softphone like X-Lite or Zoiper and let us know whether the same issue is replicated?

Surfn Chick

Post by Surfn Chick » Mon May 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Have you tried a firmware upgrade the release notes as I have attached did say they were addressing VOIP issues with some service providers.

http://support.netcommwireless.com/prod ... /nf3adv-02

Maybe the forum could confirm if you could try replacing sip1.exetel.com.au with 58.96.1.2?

Have you tried the Emulator located on the Netcomm website? As you have only mentioned the SIP settings page, you could also check the port setting page config details as well as the codecs.

If you did not buy from Exetel and purchased from another service provider maybe more settings need to be changed than what you think.

Other, than your VOIP issue how is the NF3 otherwise? Do you use for NBN?

MichaelL

Post by MichaelL » Mon May 27, 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for that Surfn Chick.
I shall try the firmware upgrade. Already use the numerical SIP info.

This issue aside, very happy with the router. simple setup, good range, various extras that I'll get around to using.

Not on NBN thus far.