Explain VOIP?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
brumer

Explain VOIP?

Post by brumer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:28 am

I'm considering cancelling all my landline services & going over completely to Exetel.
Firstly I'd like comments on using VOIP over 3G. Even if it works 'sometimes' I'd still consider it.
Does anyone have it in use and are receiving calls without problems?
Secondly I am a little confused when I look at the VOIP plans.
All 3 plans mention ........
Local/National
2 Minute Standard Call
$0.10
I'm guessing it really means what it says but is also untimed (an hour?)& still 10cents.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Re: Explain VOIP?

Post by Bellag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 am

The quality of the VoIP service will be depend on the 3G coverage and speeds attainable in your area. We are unable to gurantee the speeds on a 3G MBB service as speeds are affected by a number of external factors .

You may access the below link and click on "Map" to get an idea of the Optus 3G coverage in your area.

http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-pricing.php

The minimum recommended speed required to use residential VoIP is 512/128 (kbps).

You will be charged $0.10 per call (To all Landlines and non-Exetel VoIP services within Australia) regardless of the duration of it.

brumer

Post by brumer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:16 am

OK, I'll give it a try and see how it goes. I'll still have my Exetel mobiles if need be.
It won't 'break the bank' as they say.
Not much point in looking up coverage as I'm intending to be either in a motorhome or a houseboat ......... travelling!
Wished there was more choices of modems to plug in Yagi's!!!

brumer

Post by brumer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 am

When I looked at the plans it mentions 60 free calls included but when I went through the ordering form it says "0" calls included?
Is that a glitch in the software or have plans changed?

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 pm

60 calls to all landlines and non-Exetel VoIP services are included in the RV5 plan.

Could you provide us with the link through which you are attempting to order the service?

brumer

Post by brumer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Bellag I've placed the order now.
I already have services with Exetel so I signed in to it, scrolled down to "VOIP", Clicked on "order VOIP", Filled in the order form, and it is on the CONFIRM ORDER form that it says 'no calls included' and also once submitted it also says 'no calls included' in the resulting page with the setting included on it.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Appreciate if you could PM your existing Exetel service number so that we can look into this further and ensure that your order has gone through with the right plan.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Thank you, i have received your PM.

Kindly note that I have forwarded the relevant details to your nominated email address through reference ID: 7456274.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Brumer, over the years quite a few people have used mobile VoIP when on the move. If you aren't near a transmitter a Yagi comes in very handy, and you can mount one to rotate on a van. Obviously you also need a modem with a pigtail connection.

When this subject was new we had a few threads in the forum with how-tos and results, particularly from rural residents. I remember a super fold-down mast from Hervey Bay area, and Baldrick has a successful Yagi VoIP set up near Keepit , getting 1.3Mbps from an Optus mast about 15km away. We even had working antennae made from woks and cans.

This site has info on antennae for receiving Optus : http://rfshop.com.au/. Don't laugh at wok antennae either, there is a lot of info online for these and other unconventional ways to get a stronger signal.