VOIP DID for Wagga Wagga?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
trev

VOIP DID for Wagga Wagga?

Post by trev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:53 pm

Quick question: Does the Exetel VOIP service provide a local Wagga Wagga (NSW) telephone number?

If not, do other people calling the VOIP number for, say, Sydney, pay more than a "local call" fee if they are also in Wagga Wagga?

I attempted to ask this question of voip@exetel.com.au as per the Exetel website:
A "DID" (Direct In Dial) number is a valid PSTN dial number that is in the same format as a standard wire line number and allows calls from standard telephones to be made to your VoIP number . Currently local numbers are available for all the major capitals as well as Newcastle, Penrith, Wollongong, Geelong and Central Coast. There are some other towns and areas available. You can email voip@exetel.com.au with your town and we can do a service area check.
but was met with this response:

"Please note that we cannot trace any active service attached to this email address.
Are you a new customer? If you have an Exetel service please provide us your service number."

Very odd! Whether I am an existing customer or not seems to be irrelevant to my question(s) as above.

So, can someone answer my question(s)?

Thanks in advance.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: VOIP DID for Wagga Wagga?

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 pm

I just entered my user facility, asked for a new VoIP service, and the choice included some Wagga DIDs, along with most other cities in Australia.

What your callers pay to some extent depends on their own provider. Many Exetel customers can make "National" calls for the same fee to everywhere. Telstra phone customers tend to be charged trunk rates if the number doesn't have a local alleged domicile. So if you have a Sydney DID a lot of Wagga callers won't be happy to get the bill. If you can, get a DID "located" where your PSTN callers mostly live.

VoIP callers to you don't care about this at all.

Your outward calls cost the same wherever the DID is said to reside, so it doesn't matter to you. Most VoIP users receive local PSTN calls on their PSTN line, and do their outward dialling on VoIP. (It confuses taxi centres and pizza chains who think they can locate phones with 13 numbers).

trev

Re: VOIP DID for Wagga Wagga?

Post by trev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:38 pm

Thanks! Silly me - I relied on the Exetel website VOIP text and didn't try the Member Facilities to see the current DID listing.

Residential support also just got back to me with the same answer.