Port existing Exetel PSTN to Exetel VoIP - NBN

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
bigshow

Port existing Exetel PSTN to Exetel VoIP - NBN

Post by bigshow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

I have an active Exetel NBN service, I want to port my existing Exetel billed PSTN number to Exetel VoIP and cancel my existing Exetel ADSL2. Both PSTN and ADSL2 are Telstra Wholesale products.

What is the correct procedure here?

I have tried using the online PSTN to VoIP order form. This fails with the message
039******* is an active ADSL number, and cannot be coverted (spelling mistake) to a VoIP number
(Also note there is no option to select Exetel as the current carrier).

OK, I don't want the ADSL service anymore so I will just cancel that?

When I proceed to cancel the ADSL service this is the message that I must agree to:
The service is delivered as a bundle, you will need to cancel both ADSL and Telephony. This will terminate your telephone service, leaving you with no telephone number or telephone service for making or receiving calls on the date you nominate. If you wish to keep your telephone number you will need to arrange to port it to the provider of your choice.
See the problem? I can't cancel the ADSL service because it will cancel the telephone service. I would like to port the number to the provider of my choice (Exetel) but I can't because it is an active ADSL number. If the number is not active it cannot be ported!

Is someone at Exetel having a laugh at my expense?

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Re: Port existing Exetel PSTN to Exetel VoIP - NBN

Post by Bellag » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:00 pm

You may place a PSTN to VOIP order through your members area. Once you login to your members facility, please scroll to the "Order" menu (from the top) and select "PSTN to VoIP" from the drop down, enter requested details and complete the request.

A PSTN to VoIP transfer will take approximately between 10 to 15 business days to complete provisioning. Kindly note that your ADSL service will drop out during the porting process.

Once Exetel has informed you that the porting has been completed where you will receive your VoIP login details please do contact us to see whether your PSTN and ADSL accounts have been closed.

If you require further details or assistance on the above, please do not hesitate to contact one of our sales representatives on 02 8030 1000 (option 1), between 8.30 am to 5.30 pm (AEST).

bigshow

Post by bigshow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for the reply.

As outlined above completing the PSTN to VoIP order process is not possible through the members area. Specifically, on page 4 "Confirm" of the online order process the error message returned is: "039******* is an active ADSL number, and cannot be coverted to a VoIP number."

Thus the number cannot be converted to VoIP because it is an active ADSL number, the ADSL service cannot be cancelled because it also cancels the bundled PSTN number, thus creating an infinite loop of craziness.

I think I will just call someone in sales.

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:38 am

When I did this a year or two ago, I contacted Exetel Sales (residentialsales@exetel.com.au), they asked for a few details, confirmed a $15 activation charge, and then they submitted the request on my behalf.

Provisioning then emailed me with the below:
provisioning@exetel.com.au
06/11/2012

to me
To EXETEL PTY LTD

Thank you for applying for Exetel PSTN TO VOIP.

Your application will be submitted to the carrier within 24 hours of your submission. The following actions will then be taken:

1) Once payment has been honored, our responsible carrier will then begin the work of preparing the transfer of the PSTN TO VOIP.
2) Once the order has submitted you will receive notification upon which the porting process, assuming no impediments, can take approximately up to 10 days to complete.
3) Once the transfer has completed, you will be notified upon which details will then be given to configure your VOIP service such that the number can be used.
4)If you wish to then cancel your newly transferred VOIP service number directly you can do so at any time, via your VOIP user facilities under the VOIP section. Applicable early cancellation charges may be payable by you. (see http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_terms_conditions.php)
5) Once payment has been honoured to your nominated credit card or bank account will be debit for:

Regards,
Exetel Provisioning.
Ph: 0280301000 (Option 3)
http://www.exetel.com.au
It took almost the entire 10 days quoted to cut-over and the service has been flawless ever since. No complaints from me here!

The only issue I have now is if I dial certain location specific services like pizza shops they patch me through to the pizza shop that my number originated in. i.e. I get put through to North Parramatta pizza when I'm on voip in a different suburb altogether now.

T.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

bigshow wrote:Thanks for the reply.

As outlined above completing the PSTN to VoIP order process is not possible through the members area. Specifically, on page 4 "Confirm" of the online order process the error message returned is: "039******* is an active ADSL number, and cannot be coverted to a VoIP number."

Thus the number cannot be converted to VoIP because it is an active ADSL number, the ADSL service cannot be cancelled because it also cancels the bundled PSTN number, thus creating an infinite loop of craziness.

I think I will just call someone in sales.
We can manually process this order for you. Kindly give us a call or provide us with your contact details and one of the sales representatives will get in touch with you.

mrhox

Post by mrhox » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:29 pm

Exetel, please assist.

Like the other members, previously posted, the PSTN to VoIP online order tool is broken.
As of 5 minutes ago, it STILL does not work and for exactly the same reasons.

I've made virtually no contributions to these help forums, because in 6 years of ADSL service, I haven't needed to.
Exetel's services have been near-faultless.

Exetel's NBN service is a different story.
I won't mention my 100/40 connection being as little as 13/2...

My recent move to NBN through Exetel was NOT faultless. In fact, it's been less than ideal. To the point I almost cancelled my application.
And I can find no explanation why Exetel can't provide a VoIP service via the "UNI-V" ports on the NBN modem.
Unfortunately, something is happening to 'my' Exetel and I don't like it.

Okay, Exetel, here's a chance to redeem yourself.

Please FIX this PSTN to VoIP order tool.
Please assist me in facilitating the above order.

With thanks...

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:20 pm

Kindly note that your current ADSL service is still active with Exetel. If you are trying to convert your current PSTN number which you have the ADSL service on to a VoIP number our system does a verification. Due to this, it may not allow you to proceed with the PSTN to VoIP order.

One of our sales representatives will get in touch with you to process this order as soon as possible. I hope this is ok.

The reference number for your inquiry is 8769588.

mrhox

Post by mrhox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:25 pm

Thank you, Bellag, for your response.
If I interpret you correctly, you are saying that if I have an active ADSL service (with landline number) I can NOT port this number to a VoIP number?
Or are your saying that the verification (with an active ADSL service) *MAY* fail? I wonder why this would happen?

Anyway, your referral of my enquiry lead to Carly (sp?) (from Sales) to call me earlier this evening (thank you for initiating this) to do a manual transfer and confirm that I *DO* need to keep the ADSL service active to allow the transfer to take place. This makes sense.
(In my case I have asked that my landline number remain the same, it will just be converted to a VoIP service.)
Exetel will then contact me to advise when the transfer is complete.
I then requested that Exetel terminate my ADSL service automatically, which Exetel is prepared to do

Carly also confirmed that it is Exetel's management which is stopping the use of the "UNI-V" port on the NBN modem from being used.
This forces users to ensure their router is VoIP-compatible or buy a separate Analog Telephone Adapter, the latter being my situation.
There have been few official words from Exetel updating customers on the UNI-V issue. Odd.

Also, it would be really good if Exetel could put up a simple "how it happens/ what needs to happen" FAQ relating to PSTN to VoIP transfers.
I did a fair bit of cruising around the forums and I could not find a simple FAQ of the process.

Perhaps my comments above will help others in my position understand the process...
PS: Thank you, Carly.

Bellag
Exetel Staff

Post by Bellag » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:15 am

Sorry if my statement was confusing. You can definitely put in a port request for your PSTN number. The verification is for an internal purpose in order to avoid duplicate orders been placed by customers. Eg: The system will not allow two orders to be placed for the same number.

Exetel does not have an ETA on when the UNI - V service will be available therefore i am unable to provide you an update right now.

We appreciate your feedback. Your suggestion to include the PSTN to VoIP transfer process on the FAQ's will be escalated to the relevant product manager.