Billion 7800 VDOX: No "LINE" light. No VOIP. HELP!

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
AlpineDave

Billion 7800 VDOX: No "LINE" light. No VOIP. HELP!

Post by AlpineDave » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:28 pm

I hope someone can help me....

I've had for a long time a second-hand Billion 7404 VNPX which has just died a noble death. :cry:

Have replaced it with a brand new 7800 VDOX. To make a long story short, I absolutely cannot get VOIP working on this new unit, even though I've had it running flawlessly for a number of years with the now-dead 7404.

I have tried:

* Replicating the settings I copied from the 7404
* Following setup guides
* Copying the settings from this post: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=40214
* Googling until my fingers bleed

None of these has worked.

My symptoms:

* VOIP Status reads "200 - Registered"
* Despite this, the Line indicator light on the router remains unlit
* Furthermore, the old school PSTN dial tone is all I get through the handset, not the steady tone indicating VOIP dialling is ready.

Is there anyone out there who has managed to get Exetel VOIP working on a Billion BiPac 7800 VDOX? Please?

ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Re: Billion 7800 VDOX: No "LINE" light. No VOIP. HELP!

Post by ShaminG » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:31 pm

AlpineDave wrote:Is there anyone out there who has managed to get Exetel VOIP working on a Billion BiPac 7800 VDOX? Please?
Make sure the display name is same as the VoIP number.
Also add a dial plan,
Eg : x.@your_VoIP_number

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:27 am

The linked thread does show the method. Like ShaminG, I suspect you haven't done the config exactly as described there. Display Name is a common error and is easily missed after you have repeated it over and over.

AlpineDave

Post by AlpineDave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:48 am

Thanks, folks.

I'll give that a shot and post back my results.

AlpineDave

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:03 am

AlpineDave wrote: My symptoms:

* VOIP Status reads "200 - Registered"
* Despite this, the Line indicator light on the router remains unlit
The Line indicator only comes on when your PSTN line is in use. e.g. when someone rings your landline, or when you make a call whilst your VoIP service is offline (assuming you have connected your landline to the "Line" socket on the back of the modem).
AlpineDave wrote: * Furthermore, the old school PSTN dial tone is all I get through the handset, not the steady tone indicating VOIP dialling is ready.
The dial tone for VoIP may be different to what you're use to on the old 7404 modem. Try ringing a mobile from your VoIP service & see if what the caller ID is, your VoIP service may actually be working.

There are "Tone Control" settings on the VoIP/SIP Device configuration page, that give you 5 different dial tones. Try a different tone & remember to click the Apply button
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (17.67 KiB) Viewed 3630 times

AlpineDave

Post by AlpineDave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:19 pm

OK, so this is interesting.

Firstly, thanks for your help. You guys have been great.

Turns out that possibly it was working all along and that the slight differences between the 7404 and the 7800 threw me, but I still have some small niggles.

Firstly, to the subject line: It appears that the "Line" indicator lights only when a call is incoming on this model. 7404 was lit all the time when VOIP was registered successfully but changed colours when line was active. D'oh! (I just saw your post at the same time I figured this out, IanS!)

But now comes the weirdness....

Made a few test calls from my landlines (attached through 7800) to my mobile and vice versa.
Here comes the weirdness....

Line 1 - Cordless phone, DTMF
Success! Absolutely no problem.
I checked the voip logs and they indicate that the calls are going out on VOIP even though the dial tone is the familiar PSTN "purring". :-)

Line 2 - Pushbutton pulse dial phone
I cannot call out using this phone. This was never a problem on the 7404.

When I attempt to dial out with the pulse dial phone, I get an engaged signal and the other end doesn't ring.
When I answer this phone, there is silence and then the call drops on the phone used to call in . . . usually. Sometimes this phone won't ring at all. (It's not the old bell ringer either. Electronic chirping-type ring)

Thanks a million for getting me going. Any suggestions for my pulse dial weirdness?

Edit: Although, I'm guessing it's just too bad for me and that pulse dialling is not supported by the 7800. And why should it be! The world has moved on. My wife and I have something of a nostalgic bent. :-)

Cheers,

Alpine Dave

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Line 2 - Pushbutton pulse dial phone
I cannot call out using this phone. This was never a problem on the 7404.

When I attempt to dial out with the pulse dial phone, I get an engaged signal and the other end doesn't ring.
When I answer this phone, there is silence and then the call drops on the phone used to call in . . . usually. Sometimes this phone won't ring at all. (It's not the old bell ringer either. Electronic chirping-type ring)
As far as pulse dialling goes, this is very old technology, I'm surprised that there's still working phones out there that only do pulse dialling!. Think you might have hit a brick wall with the 7800 doing pulse dialling.

First thing to check is that port 2 is working. Try making test calls (using DTMF) to & from your cordless phone plugged into port 2. Then we'll tackle the pulse dialling issue.

AlpineDave

Post by AlpineDave » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:41 pm

Thanks for your response.

Pulled an old cordless phone out of the bottom drawer and it works on Line 2, so I'll go with that solution at the cost of a loss of nostalgic charm from my desk. :lol:

Cheers for the help everyone.

IanS

Post by IanS » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:05 pm

Alpine Dave,

Have a look at your pulse dial phone, they usually had a slide switch for pulse/DTMF.
Sometimes it was labelled DEC/Tone or they used a button sequence to set the dial type. You might need the manual if this is the case, try a Google search for the brand/model of the phone

Cheers
IanS

AlpineDave

Post by AlpineDave » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:06 pm

IanS wrote:Alpine Dave,

Have a look at your pulse dial phone, they usually had a slide switch for pulse/DTMF.
Sometimes it was labelled DEC/Tone or they used a button sequence to set the dial type.
'Fraid not, Ian. Thanks for your help all the same.

Cheers,

AlpineDave