No PSTN through Modem

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
mrwoodbrick

No PSTN through Modem

Post by mrwoodbrick » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi there Exetel Community.

I have just recently moved house, and kept my Internet service with Exetel. Where I was (Castlemaine), I was connected to a Telstra ADSL2 DSLAM. Here in Bendigo (I believe) I am connected to an Optus DSLAM. I don't have me VOIP with Exetel.

Here is my problem:
At my old house, using all the same equipment and settings, I could make and receive calls both using VOIP and on my PSTN line wired through my modem. At my new house, my VOIP is working just fine, but I cannot get a PSTN dialtone (by pressing ‘##’ to by-pass VOIP connection) and I cannot get a ringtone when I call my PSTN number.

I CAN make and receive PSTN calls when I connect my phone 'directly' to the socket through a line filter, but obviously I am not able to receive VOIP calls when my phone is connected this way.

Is there anybody who might be able to explain why my new phone line is behaving differently to my old one and (even better) explain how I can fix the issue….?

Thanks and regards.......
Mr WoodBrick
Golden Square (Bendigo), Vic.
Modem: Billion 'Bipac' 7402 VDPX

ADSL 2 speed (average): 2.5Mbit/s down
0.5 Mbit/s up

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: No PSTN through Modem

Post by Dazzled » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:56 pm

Could you check your splitter connections and the second PSTN connection to the modem PSTN phone port? It is possible the modem has no PSTN input. There should be two input cables, one for internet ADSL, and the other for PSTN.

mrwoodbrick

Post by mrwoodbrick » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:25 am

Hi Dazzled,

Thanks very much. It wasn't working because I had not connected the PSTN line to the modem; only the ADSL. Thanks very much for pointing out my error. Problem solved.
Mr WoodBrick
Golden Square (Bendigo), Vic.
Modem: Billion 'Bipac' 7402 VDPX

ADSL 2 speed (average): 2.5Mbit/s down
0.5 Mbit/s up

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Good news. Thanks for the feedback.