Can't get VOIP going on TP-Link VG3631

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Arran

Can't get VOIP going on TP-Link VG3631

Post by Arran » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi everyone,
Hoping someone is able to offer some assistance! I have fibre running through a SinoTelecom modem (on 191.168.1.1), with the VG3631 being used purely for wireless and VOIP (on 192.168.1.2). The VOIP settings do work on X-Lite Softphone without issue - it's definitely a setup issue. No problems with the wireless, just VOIP. The status is always "down". The phone has a dial tone, but cannot dial out. When I call the number, I get a generic message saying the extension isn't available.

I've attached the three VOIP setup page screenshots from the modem as it is currently. I've tried a bunch of different things from reading other similar problems from the forums here, including:
- Dtmf Relay setting to InBand
- Various combinations of using IP address or the hostname (sip1.exetel.com.au)
- Tried both registering via Outbound Proxy on and off
- Downloaded latest firmware on the VG3631
- Opened up port 5060 on the SinoTelecom modem which appears to be what's being used here

I'm out of ideas on what else to try - I'm tempted to try using the VG3631 as the modem alone without the SinoTelecom modem, but the speed is capped at 40mbit down on a 100mbit connection which isn't ideal! (Why exetel sold me the VG3631 on a 100/40 plan I don't know ...)

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Arran
Attachments
Advanced Setup.jpg
Advanced Setup.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Phone Setup.jpg
Phone Setup.jpg (95.13 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Voice -- SIP Account.jpg
Voice -- SIP Account.jpg (102.93 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Can't get VOIP going on TP-Link VG3631

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:46 pm

I'm a little confused, but that's easy to do. The TP-Link VG3631 device is an ADSL2 modem router whose input DSL speed is limited. You appear to be using it as a router only which isn't so limited. You can't individually port forward a bridged modem (the Sino one). But do you have a fibre service? I'm not able to picture your setup.

You can't register both the router ATA and a softphone simultaneously, so now that you know the VoIP service works, stop the softphone. I'd use the IP address for the server 58.96.1.2 and save a DNS lookup.

[Edit: I retracted a comment]

Arran

Post by Arran » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi Dazzled, thanks for the quick response. I do have a fibre service - I purchased the TP-link modem router as part of signing up to a 100/40 fibre plan. The installation guys (open networks? I think) gave me the Sino modem when they came out to do the connection. After realising that the TP-link modem router would only get 40 down I decided to use it as a wireless router only (and VOIP) so I would be getting the full 100/40. Does that makes sense? Sorry if it's a bit confusing!

I've stopped the soft phone now - I didn't realise they couldn't be running simultaneously. I've also switched back to IP addresses but still no joy. Is there anywhere I need to specify a default gateway pointing back to the modem for the VOIP or something like that, similar to what you'd do to get the wireless working when using it as a router only? Or do I need to get EWAN running perhaps?

Cheers,
Arran

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:26 pm

I still don't get it. The fibre optical network terminal has a digital ethernet connection. You don't need a modem, which converts analogue to digital. You can connect a computer directly, or connect a router to the terminal. With either you make the Exetel log in. It would be best to use a router with a WAN ethernet input. I don't really know what the SinoTelecom device is.

I think the TP-Link has a WAN port at No 4 that uses the EWAN function (it disables the ADSL input). I assume you have done this.

The problem with two registrations to the same acccount via the router is that you can confuse the server.

Arran

Post by Arran » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:47 pm

Huh, interesting - I had no idea that the fibre connection doesn't require a modem. You're correct in that port 4 is a WAN connection on the TP-Link. The connection on the wall is just a standard phone port though, not an ethernet port or any other specially installed port - are you saying I should be able to go straight from the wall to the WAN port on the TP-Link, and configure EWAN with my login? Or is it possible that this is a different setup (it's fibre to the basement through OPENetworks I believe).

Currently, the phone socket is connected to the ADSL line on the SinoTelecome modem, with my Exetel internet details configured there with PPPoE - this is getting close to the advertised speeds (100/40). I'm then just running an ethernet cable from the WAN port on the TP-Link to a LAN port on the Sino, and running the wireless/VOIP on the TP-Link - it is not set up with any of the internet service login details (EWAN is disabled). Internet isn't a problem through LAN or Wireless with this setup - but if it's a possible cause for the VOIP not registering then I more than happy to change it around.

I'll have a play around tomorrow morning, and see if I can ditch the SinoTelecom modem and just have the TP-Link using EWAN.

Cheers,
Arran

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:21 am

See http://www.tplink.com/au/FAQ-542.html for EWAN.

I think what you have now is a two router setup (not a modem). This brings in some networking trickies - Google having one router behind another. A let out is to use the second device as a switch - use a LAN port as input and don't login from it.

A problem to overcome if you use two routers is when you receive an incoming VoIP call notification from the VoIP server - you don't want the first router firewall dropping it as an unwanted probe. I'd prefer to have only one router in a residential situation.