NBN VoIP with failover to 4g?

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
GreyFox

NBN VoIP with failover to 4g?

Post by GreyFox » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:06 am

My nbn service is caught up in the current NSW outage. This has me thinking I should have updated my ancient Exetel MBB plan and equipment to use my router's 4g failover provision. My VoIP account is restricted to Exetel IP's only, and I'm happy for it to stay that way (having been scammed previously). Does Exetel 4g count as an Exetel IP for the purpose of VoIP? What about other Optus 4g connections? [Thinking about getting an Optus dongle from Officeworks to tide me over until my plan change and (possibly) new SIM arrive.]

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Re: NBN VoIP with failover to 4g?

Post by KavindaS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am

GreyFox wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:06 am
My nbn service is caught up in the current NSW outage. This has me thinking I should have updated my ancient Exetel MBB plan and equipment to use my router's 4g failover provision. My VoIP account is restricted to Exetel IP's only, and I'm happy for it to stay that way (having been scammed previously). Does Exetel 4g count as an Exetel IP for the purpose of VoIP? What about other Optus 4g connections? [Thinking about getting an Optus dongle from Officeworks to tide me over until my plan change and (possibly) new SIM arrive.]
Exetel 4g IP pool has been added and it will count as an EXetel IP. However, if there are any issues, we will check accordingly. Other service providers 4g connections may detect issues, since they are non Exetel IPs. Further, if you can get a static IP with the 4g service from another ISP, provide the static IP address to us and we will enable it, considering your situation with the ongoing major outage.

Les

Post by Les » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:54 am

Hi,

Given our dependence on Internet connectivity these days it would be great if Exetel could offered it's fixed line internet customers with a 4G backup data service which could be used when fixed line connections went down.

Maybe this could be offered for a small yearly or monthly service free which didn't include any data and users could then purchase blocks of data at a reasonable cost when they needed to use the backup service.

Les

GreyFox

Post by GreyFox » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks Kavinda,

Judging from the status reports, we should be back online within a couple of days. I'll probably miss a few scam calls in that time, but the included international minutes on our mobile plan should get us through so there's probably no need to enable "foreign" IP's for my VoIP at this stage.

Looking at Les's suggestion, I think that used to be an offering about nine or ten years ago - initially with 100MB included, then downgraded to zero included. Data is 5c/MB though, so it would only take one outage in a year to make it more cost-effective to keep an ExeGO 1.5GB plan in the bottom drawer. I'll give it a week or so to see what feedback we get on Les's suggestion, but at this stage I think that's the plan to choose.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:53 pm

Firstly, we’re sorry you’ve been caught up in the mess of this large outage. We are working hard with our wholesale suppliers to get all services restored ASAP.

Secondly, thanks for you your great suggestion! We always appreciate people sending ideas our way! I’ve sent it straight to our senior management team and product managers.

As you know the telecommunications industry is both highly competitive, and a rapidly changing environment. Therefore suggestions from our customers help us to keep our finger on the pulse and really help us in understanding your needs.
We do offer a Mobile Broadband service already which, in the case of people who perhaps use the service for business purposes (such as working from home), can provide an extra level of redundancy; however we’ll have a look at what we can do in the new NBN marketplace to offer a more flexible backup system for people such as yourself who want the extra level of assurance – of course keeping it at a price-point that is both affordable and competitive. We pride ourselves on keeping our costs as low as possible, so we trust that you understand that it sometimes takes a little more fine-tuning for us to bring a product to market given our low margins.

So thank you again, and keep the ideas coming our way any time!