Can't connect through ATA

VOIP setup and troubleshooting
Jyrn

Can't connect through ATA

Post by Jyrn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm

I have recently transitioned over to NBN and my new router doesn't have in built VOIP. However I still have an old Netcomm V300 ATA which performed solid duty many years ago. I have tried to set-up the ATA but have so far been unsuccessful. I know that my VOIP is solid as it operated for many years on ADSL2 and I have been able to successfully make and receive calls using a Zoiper soft-phone on my PC.

Specifically the ATA will authenticate (registered) with Exetel but I can't make or receive calls. When calling out I have a dial tone and the call will ring on the outside number (I called my own mobile to test this). But when answered there is no audio from the receiving number and I continue to hear the dial tone. When calling into the VOIP number I am told that the 'the number is not currently available'.

Based on the fact that the I can do what is needed using the soft-phone but not the ATA I suspect there are some settings I haven't configured correctly on the router and ATA. From what I have read online I suspect this may relate to things like port forwarding, NAT etc. I would appreciate any advise people could provide. A description of my setup is below.

NBN box - ASUS router - ATA - Analog phone

The ASUS router is configured to place the static IP for the ATA into the DMZ and the ATA has been set to static IP on the WAN port. Everything is connected via cat6 ethernet.

nilushid
Admin

Re: Can't connect through ATA

Post by nilushid » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm

Jyrn wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:47 pm
I have recently transitioned over to NBN and my new router doesn't have in built VOIP. However I still have an old Netcomm V300 ATA which performed solid duty many years ago. I have tried to set-up the ATA but have so far been unsuccessful. I know that my VOIP is solid as it operated for many years on ADSL2 and I have been able to successfully make and receive calls using a Zoiper soft-phone on my PC.

Specifically the ATA will authenticate (registered) with Exetel but I can't make or receive calls. When calling out I have a dial tone and the call will ring on the outside number (I called my own mobile to test this). But when answered there is no audio from the receiving number and I continue to hear the dial tone. When calling into the VOIP number I am told that the 'the number is not currently available'.

Based on the fact that the I can do what is needed using the soft-phone but not the ATA I suspect there are some settings I haven't configured correctly on the router and ATA. From what I have read online I suspect this may relate to things like port forwarding, NAT etc. I would appreciate any advise people could provide. A description of my setup is below.

NBN box - ASUS router - ATA - Analog phone

The ASUS router is configured to place the static IP for the ATA into the DMZ and the ATA has been set to static IP on the WAN port. Everything is connected via cat6 ethernet.

Hi

Unfortunately, we do not have any recommended setting for your ATA from our end. The best thing to do here will be to contact Netcomm to check why the ATA is failing to process the calls. If they recommended any settings which needed to be changed on the router, you will have to get it to check with Asus directly.

However, we can help you to test the service by using the test phone at Exetel to make sure there is no issue with the VoIP service itself. For this, you will have to PM me your customer ID or the service number. After testing we can inform you of the outcome of the investigation.

Thanks

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:45 pm

nilushid wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm
Hi

Unfortunately, we do not have any recommended setting for your ATA from our end. The best thing to do here will be to contact Netcomm to check why the ATA is failing to process the calls. If they recommended any settings which needed to be changed on the router, you will have to get it to check with Asus directly.

However, we can help you to test the service by using the test phone at Exetel to make sure there is no issue with the VoIP service itself. For this, you will have to PM me your customer ID or the service number. After testing we can inform you of the outcome of the investigation.

Thanks
Thanks nilushid. I know Exetel doesn't support non ZTE modems but previously when I have used the forums there were quite a few other users who were able to offer advice based on their own expertise and experience. I was hoping for their assistance more than anything else.

anurangaf
Exetel Staff

Post by anurangaf » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:31 am

Hi,

Below are the source IP/Port ranges used by Exetel.

SIP IP/Port Ranges - 58.96.1.0/26 - 5060

RTP Port Ranges (UDP) - 58.96.8.0/26 , 220.233.0.0/25, 58.96.1.0/27, 58.96.11.0/24 -> 10000-20000
RTP Port Ranges (UDP) - 58.96.1.0/26 -> 50000-60000

Please check whether you have allowed all of the above on the router, and if not please allow these first and test it again.

Also if it's still not working please PM me your VoIP number or Exetel Customer ID with your contact number, so we could contact you after doing some testing on our end.

Thanks.

Jyrn

Post by Jyrn » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:36 pm

Update to close out my issue.
Following the purchase of a pure (non-switch integrated) ATA the connection went through once I entered the necessary information perfectly. No modification of routing tables or port forwarding was necessary. I suspect my original issues relate to double NAT introduced by using a ATA integrated into a switch.

For those interested I purchased a Cisco ATA.