My phone won't download MMS voice messages

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue

My phone won't download MMS voice messages

Postby Marty H on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:43 pm

It worked until 2 months ago. Now I tap Download on a voice message that says it is in MMS format and nothing happens.
Marty H

Re: My phone won't download MMS voice messages

Postby HimaJ on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:01 pm

We have sent you an email update to your nominated email address.

Your reference # : 11039440

Exetel apologies for the inconvenience may have caused by this.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby Marty H on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:56 pm

Thank you for that and I thank you very much for replying at 9pm on a Sunday night, but the existing APN settings can't be deleted. They are greyed out and there is no option to "Delete APN" like there is with the APN setting I created.

I created the APN given and then switched the phone off and on but messages still will not download.
Marty H

Postby HimaJ on Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Is it possible you to edit the APN values without deleting the existing values.

Please let us know whether you are using an Apple device. If it is so, please provide us the Apple OS version and also the device model number.

Also note that you can refer Apple forums in order to get more information regarding MMS settings.

Please note that according to Apple forums, MMS settings cannot be changed on Apple OS version 8 and above.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby Marty H on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 am

HimaJ wrote:Is it possible you to edit the APN values without deleting the existing values.

I can't edit the values in the 3 existing APNs. The fields are all greyed out. The only menu option inside those APNs is Discard (which does not do anything).

Outside, in the list of APNs, I can Add new APNs or Reset To Default which deletes the one I created with your instructions in the email and takes it back to the original 3 (Optus Bus Mobile Broadband, Optus Yes Internet, Optus MMS), so I created the email one again. Strangely, there is no radio button next to the 2 Optus MMS APNs.

HimaJ wrote:Please let us know whether you are using an Apple device.

It is a Samsung Galaxy J1 2016, model SM-J120ZN, with Android 5.1.1 and I bought it unlocked from Harvey Norman.
Marty H

Postby KavindaS on Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:30 pm

Marty H wrote:
HimaJ wrote:Is it possible you to edit the APN values without deleting the existing values.

I can't edit the values in the 3 existing APNs. The fields are all greyed out. The only menu option inside those APNs is Discard (which does not do anything).

Outside, in the list of APNs, I can Add new APNs or Reset To Default which deletes the one I created with your instructions in the email and takes it back to the original 3 (Optus Bus Mobile Broadband, Optus Yes Internet, Optus MMS), so I created the email one again. Strangely, there is no radio button next to the 2 Optus MMS APNs.

HimaJ wrote:Please let us know whether you are using an Apple device.

It is a Samsung Galaxy J1 2016, model SM-J120ZN, with Android 5.1.1 and I bought it unlocked from Harvey Norman.

I will check this further and update you tomorrow by 11039440 ticket.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Marty H on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you for that, Kavinda.
Marty H

Postby KavindaS on Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 pm

Marty H wrote:Thank you for that, Kavinda.

In order to check if any programming issue from the supplier end, I have removed and re-provisioned the MMS service for your mobile account. Could you please power reboot the mobile phone and re check the service?
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Marty H on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:09 pm

KavindaS wrote:In order to check if any programming issue from the supplier end, I have removed and re-provisioned the MMS service for your mobile account. Could you please power reboot the mobile phone and re check the service?

I did those things. Late last night a configuration message came and I thought it would be to solve the problem, so I hit Install. After that, downloading and listening to messages worked immediately.

But now I have a problem where mobile data does not work on my phone anymore. The 4G icon is there as always, but when I browse to websites it has "proxy error" and then "connection timed out". I noticed in the Access Point Names settings that there is a new item called WAP with wap.optus.net.au below it and it seems to be selected by the radio button.

Optus Yes Internet has disappeared and there is now only WAP, Optus Bus Mobile Broadband and the two Optus MMS items.
Marty H

Postby KavindaS on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:49 pm

Marty H wrote:
KavindaS wrote:In order to check if any programming issue from the supplier end, I have removed and re-provisioned the MMS service for your mobile account. Could you please power reboot the mobile phone and re check the service?

I did those things. Late last night a configuration message came and I thought it would be to solve the problem, so I hit Install. After that, downloading and listening to messages worked immediately.

But now I have a problem where mobile data does not work on my phone anymore. The 4G icon is there as always, but when I browse to websites it has "proxy error" and then "connection timed out". I noticed in the Access Point Names settings that there is a new item called WAP with wap.optus.net.au below it and it seems to be selected by the radio button.

Optus Yes Internet has disappeared and there is now only WAP, Optus Bus Mobile Broadband and the two Optus MMS items.

Since it is an android phone, can you simply remove all and apply internet as the APN on your data settings and check?
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Marty H on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:37 pm

KavindaS wrote:Since it is an android phone, can you simply remove all and apply internet as the APN on your data settings and check?

No, that did not work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reply until now, it's been hectic organising for an overseas trip in 2 days. What did work was when I tapped 'Optus Bus Mobile Broadband' so its radio button is selected instead of 'WAP'. It seems that both 4G internet and voice messages now work.

If I have a problem again I will be sure to let you know here (probably after I return from overseas on 1 July). Thanks very much.
Marty H

Postby KavindaS on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 pm

Marty H wrote:
KavindaS wrote:Since it is an android phone, can you simply remove all and apply internet as the APN on your data settings and check?

No, that did not work. Unfortunately I haven't been able to reply until now, it's been hectic organising for an overseas trip in 2 days. What did work was when I tapped 'Optus Bus Mobile Broadband' so its radio button is selected instead of 'WAP'. It seems that both 4G internet and voice messages now work.

If I have a problem again I will be sure to let you know here (probably after I return from overseas on 1 July). Thanks very much.

Good to hear that the service working since then. You may contact us anytime if the issue persists. You have a safe trip ahead. :)
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby Marty H on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:06 pm

You just happened to leave out the critical information, which is that mobile data must be turned on in order for messages to download.

Feeling pretty angry right now.
Marty H

Postby HimaJ on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Marty H wrote:You just happened to leave out the critical information, which is that mobile data must be turned on in order for messages to download.

Feeling pretty angry right now.

You have mentioned that "mobile data must be turned on in order for messages to download" ...

Did you mean to say that every time when a MMS received you have to turned off and then turned on mobile data in order to get the message.
HimaJ
Exetel Staff

Postby Marty H on Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:55 am

HimaJ wrote:Did you mean to say that every time when a MMS received you have to turned off and then turned on mobile data in order to get the message.

No, it just needs to be turned on if it is off. I like to keep it turned off most of the time to save battery and data. But it would be very helpful to let people know that it needs to be on for MMS voice messages.
Marty H

Next

Return to Mobile services