My phone won't download MMS voice messages

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue

Re: My phone won't download MMS voice messages

Postby Amila Fernando on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm

Marty H wrote:
HimaJ wrote:Did you mean to say that every time when a MMS received you have to turned off and then turned on mobile data in order to get the message.

No, it just needs to be turned on if it is off. I like to keep it turned off most of the time to save battery and data. But it would be very helpful to let people know that it needs to be on for MMS voice messages.

Yes, without mobile data it won't work. Mobile data must be turned on in order for MMS messages to download.
To Log a fault ticket, please click click here or alternatively call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)

=================
Exetel Support Portal
=================
Amila Fernando
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:12 pm

I'm having a problem downloading messages or attachments. Can you clarify please how to turn mobile data on.

I have tried Menu-settings-Mobile Data and checking the box. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm still missing something. It seems from looking at the data limit that I have indeed received some data and have reached the warning level (which I haven't set or even known about until now) but there is still nothing in my downloads folder, and when I press "download" on a message, it says "downloading" but nothing more happens.

Is this just my ignorance, or is there something not working? Thanks.
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:33 pm

ercatli wrote:I'm having a problem downloading messages or attachments. Can you clarify please how to turn mobile data on.

I have tried Menu-settings-Mobile Data and checking the box. Is that correct?

If so, then I'm still missing something. It seems from looking at the data limit that I have indeed received some data and have reached the warning level (which I haven't set or even known about until now) but there is still nothing in my downloads folder, and when I press "download" on a message, it says "downloading" but nothing more happens.

Is this just my ignorance, or is there something not working? Thanks.

I believe that you have referred to the mobile service number which ends on ..... 223. According to that I have checked the data provisioned codes and the MMS both see appears to be active and no restrictions. Further to that your mobile data allowances are within the limitations and therefore no usage exceeded issues.

There is different ways you can turn on the mobile data. Going through the settings and turning on is a better option. Once you have turned on data, check the phone display on top of the screen you should see the data on indication with (4G, 3G, H... etc). Check if you can search internet using mobile data and you should able to download.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:33 am

Hi, thanks so much for your advice. I still have a problem, but you have helped me define what the problem is.

Downloads are switched on, and 3G appears at the top of the screen. I have successfully used my browser, so data can be received.

But when I receive a message with an attachment, I press the download button and it doesn't do anything. After a while it says it is having trouble downloading, and then nothing more.

It is an old phone (Samsung Pocket Neo) running a 2012 version of Android. Does this suggest to you that the problem is with the network or more likely my phone?

Thanks.
ercatli

Postby ercatli on Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

If this is any help, I can't send attachment photos either.
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pm

ercatli wrote:Hi, thanks so much for your advice. I still have a problem, but you have helped me define what the problem is.

Downloads are switched on, and 3G appears at the top of the screen. I have successfully used my browser, so data can be received.

But when I receive a message with an attachment, I press the download button and it doesn't do anything. After a while it says it is having trouble downloading, and then nothing more.

It is an old phone (Samsung Pocket Neo) running a 2012 version of Android. Does this suggest to you that the problem is with the network or more likely my phone?

Thanks.

Can you send out MMS with an attachment? Is there any possibility where you can put the Exetel sim card in to a different mobile handset and check for testing purposes? If the issue persists only with MMS receiving, I will try to re provision the codes and check as currently no know network issues.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:42 pm

No, can't send out attachments either, so it is not just receiving. Does Exetel (or Optus) have a web instruction on the settings to receive date (like this page from Vodaphone)? Perhaps some of the settings shown on this page are not right on my phone.
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:30 pm

ercatli wrote:No, can't send out attachments either, so it is not just receiving. Does Exetel (or Optus) have a web instruction on the settings to receive date (like this page from Vodaphone)? Perhaps some of the settings shown on this page are not right on my phone.

Could you please confirm the exact handset model details like Samsung Pocket Neo and is there a model number? I will then try to push the setting if available with Optus systems.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:54 am

Hi, thanks for your help.

The phone is a Samsung Pocket Neo Model GT s5310B, running Android 4.1.2.
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:30 pm

ercatli wrote:Hi, thanks for your help.

The phone is a Samsung Pocket Neo Model GT s5310B, running Android 4.1.2.

Refer the below generic settings from our supplier for android and try to apply the same in your phone settings and check. I believe the issue that you have informed here is only relevant to the MMS service. If you are using others apps like Viber or Whatsapp, can you check if you can send attachments or download through that?

MMS Technical Settings

• Name: Optus MMS
• Home Page / MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
• APN: MMS
• Primary / MMS Proxy: 61.88.190.10
• Port: 8070
• MCC: 505
• MNC: 02
• Auth Type: PAP
• APN type: mms
• MMS Protocol (For Android 2.1 or higher): WAP 2.0

You must switch your device off and on again for these new settings to take effect. If the issue persists as suggested before, try the same sim using an alternate handset for testing.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:00 pm

They all seem to be correct, though I didn't see the last one anywhere. (Not sure if I could change them if they weren't correct.)

I don't at the moment have another phone I can test the SIM card on, but I'll try to find someone.

Thanks for the time you are putting in. Do you have any other thoughts?
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:36 am

ercatli wrote:They all seem to be correct, though I didn't see the last one anywhere. (Not sure if I could change them if they weren't correct.)

I don't at the moment have another phone I can test the SIM card on, but I'll try to find someone.

Thanks for the time you are putting in. Do you have any other thoughts?

Checking with an alternate handset would be ideal at this stage so you could try during the weekend and update me. If the issue persist in a different known working handset, I will try to re-provision the MMS service under your service number and see if that helps to resolve the issue.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby ercatli on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 am

Thanks for your help so far. Sorry for the delay in replying but our internet was out for almost a day, and then I was away from home.

I haven't yet found anyone who has a phone I can test my SIM card on - the people I have asked use different size SIMs. I will try to get to the shop I bought the phone from, but I don 't know when that will happen. So I'm hoping we can try something else before then please.

Here is a summary of where I'm at.

1. We have never been able to receive photo attachments from people. Although I asked people who know more than I do, I was never able to get an answer, but I just didn't bother too much as we don't get attachments often. The attachments come as a message that says the size in kb, an expiry date & time, and a download button. However pressing the button puts the phone into a loop and nothing happens.

2. Recently, I have tested this with two friends. One of them can send me messages and attachments, but I can't open the attachment, as above. But when the other sends an ordinary message, she either gets a message saying "that service isn't available" or the normal text message comes as if it is an attachment, with a download button which doesn't work, and so I can't receive her message at all. But mostly I can send and receive text messages OK. So that is very strange.

3. When I have tried to send a photo attachment, it won't go either, as I've mentioned before.

So that is my experience. Is there anything you can suggest please?
ercatli

Postby KavindaS on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:56 pm

ercatli wrote:Thanks for your help so far. Sorry for the delay in replying but our internet was out for almost a day, and then I was away from home.

I haven't yet found anyone who has a phone I can test my SIM card on - the people I have asked use different size SIMs. I will try to get to the shop I bought the phone from, but I don 't know when that will happen. So I'm hoping we can try something else before then please.

Here is a summary of where I'm at.

1. We have never been able to receive photo attachments from people. Although I asked people who know more than I do, I was never able to get an answer, but I just didn't bother too much as we don't get attachments often. The attachments come as a message that says the size in kb, an expiry date & time, and a download button. However pressing the button puts the phone into a loop and nothing happens.

2. Recently, I have tested this with two friends. One of them can send me messages and attachments, but I can't open the attachment, as above. But when the other sends an ordinary message, she either gets a message saying "that service isn't available" or the normal text message comes as if it is an attachment, with a download button which doesn't work, and so I can't receive her message at all. But mostly I can send and receive text messages OK. So that is very strange.

3. When I have tried to send a photo attachment, it won't go either, as I've mentioned before.

Until you get chance to swap phones and try the sim card, I will perform a deactivation and a re provision of MMS service under your mobile account. Allow me sometime to complete that and update you here.

If you are using others apps like Viber or Whatsapp, can you check if you can send attachments or download through that?
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby KavindaS on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:05 pm

KavindaS wrote:
ercatli wrote:

Until you get chance to swap phones and try the sim card, I will perform a deactivation and a re provision of MMS service under your mobile account. Allow me sometime to complete that and update you here.

If you are using others apps like Viber or Whatsapp, can you check if you can send attachments or download through that?

I have completely re provisioned the data and mms service on your mobile account. Please power off and on your mobile handset and re check the in and out mms messages. Your ticket Ref no is 12133072.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile services