Broadband mobile issue

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
doggy

Broadband mobile issue

Post by doggy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:14 pm

At home, I run an NBN connection with autofailover to an Exetel Broadband service (SIM)

A few weeks ago, I cancelled the old plan (which had a fixed IP) and subscribed to one of the current plans (1.5GB/month). There was nothing wrong with the old plan, which I have had for years and has always worked well. However, over the past 16months, the NBN has had a couple of long outages and this cost me a lot of money on the broadband because it was a per MB cost. So, I thought I would be much better off with the new plan plus the ability to purchase a chunk of extra data, when required, is nice.

The first problem that I had not expected was loss of the fixed IP- the replacement plans are dynamic IP. Yes, it is there in the fine print. But, that is not too hard to get around and I did so.

Today, being a quiet day, I decided to test the broadband connection. I pulled the NBN and my Draytek dutifully switched to the mobile broadband- just like it always used to do.

But not quite! Big disaster- VOIP is one way audio, regardless of incoming or outgoing calls. On top of that, I cannot ping the service from "outside". Worse still, I cannot access a number of open ports that I need for a variety of reasons (and which I have always used, including with the old broadband service).

It almost appears as if there is an ISP Firewall on the mobile broadband service! Every port is closed when I do an NMAP from outside! I cannot find this port blocking in the fine print.

Could Exetel please advise what is going on here? I do not want ANY port blocking on incoming data with my mobile broadband. Please note, that the only change is the Exetel SIM plus the APN. Everythig else is as it has always been.

Thanks,
David Kerr

James
Exetel Staff

Re: Broadband mobile issue

Post by James » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm

Optus use Carrier Grade NAT on their MBB services, so you won't be able to use VoIP, and will have all the port issues you outlined below.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm

Hi James,
Thanks for saving me any more work investigating this.
Clearly the current Exetel MBB is useless (for me) as a replacement for the previous Exetel MBB plan and also of no use for backing up NBN or ADSL2+ services. Also Exetel VOIP does not work on it. I still cannot find where this is in the terms and conditions, but fortunately I did not sign up to a fixed term.

Questions:

1. Does Exetel have anything suitable? i.e like the previous MBB plans.

2. Is there any way to re-activate my previous Exetel fixed-IP MBB? I assume it is unlikely given it is not a current product offering?

Regds,
David

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:08 pm

doggy wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Hi James,
Thanks for saving me any more work investigating this.
Clearly the current Exetel MBB is useless (for me) as a replacement for the previous Exetel MBB plan and also of no use for backing up NBN or ADSL2+ services. Also Exetel VOIP does not work on it. I still cannot find where this is in the terms and conditions, but fortunately I did not sign up to a fixed term.

Questions:

1. Does Exetel have anything suitable? i.e like the previous MBB plans.

2. Is there any way to re-activate my previous Exetel fixed-IP MBB? I assume it is unlikely given it is not a current product offering?

Regds,
David
We can re-activate your old service, email me the details.

doggy

Post by doggy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks James,
I am PMing you the details.
For anyone else in this situation, it is not just the new Exetel MBB plans. Amaysim is the same (also Optus). AldiMobile also has the same problem (Telstra).
Cheers,
Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks James and Exetel for very quickly re-activating my old service.

To summarise, the ExeGO plans are fine if you want a WiFi Hotspot or some similar service.

However, if you want to use VOIP or have any inbound ports open or otherwise use the service for backing up an NBN or ADSL connection then this might not be the way to go.

I suspect the major MBB providers have moved in this direction because they have run out of IPV4 addresses.

Cheers,
Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Unfortunately this has bogged down.

When the old service did not reactivate properly (no data), Exetel decided it could be the SIM and sent a new one.

Unfortunately, this one also does not fix the problem.

Tried with two different modems and a phone. None work with the new or old Exetel SIM. All used to work with the old SIM. All do work with an Amaysim (also on Optus).

Tried the correct APN (exetel1) and also tried internet, connect, yesinternet.

The SIM registers on the Optus network but there is no data available.

Rather frustrating!

Exetel is working on the problem but I think they had pinned their hopes on the SIM fixing it.

Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am

Could someone from Exetel please interpret this for me?

My reactivated SIM did not work. The new SIM sent out by Exetel also did not work. Exetel escalated to Optus and now we have received this message:

"We have checked with our supplier and they have confirmed two unplanned outages currently at the fault location provided and this would be why there is no data throughput.

At the moment our supplier do not have an ETA at this time.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused."

Given that the outage/s have been ongoing for 12 or more days, it seems unreasonable that there is NO ETA on a fix. Our other three Exetel->Optus mobile services are working fine from the same towers. I appreciate that the MBB is a slightly different service, but surely Optus can do better than this? Do I have to wait for ever or just a couple of days or is it weeks?

Regds,
David

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I was told this was fixed, please send me the latest correspdonence and i'll sort it out.

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

doggy wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am
Could someone from Exetel please interpret this for me?

Given that the outage/s have been ongoing for 12 or more days, it seems unreasonable that there is NO ETA on a fix. Our other three Exetel->Optus mobile services are working fine from the same towers. I appreciate that the MBB is a slightly different service, but surely Optus can do better than this? Do I have to wait for ever or just a couple of days or is it weeks?

Regds,
David
I would like to apologise to you on behalf of Exetel for any inconvenience you may have experienced with relation to this matter. By looking at the history of the issue, I have instructed and assigned a senior engineer to escalate as a fault with Optus and daily follow up to get the updates. As a results of that latest update is what we have emailed to you. However tomorrow further we will contact them and check for any estimated time of resolution for the 2 unplanned outages confirmed.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi Kavinda & James,
Sorry, but we do not seem to be getting anywhere.
The outages Optus fixed were simply that their 4G was out in this area. But I was trying 3G anyway.
I have driven to a totally different area (i.e. different towers) and still no good.
Upon request from Exetel, I have tried a whole lot of different APNs. No change.
The problem is evident in five devices which all work with other Optus based SIMS.
Given this is a data-only service but with no data, it is not possible to try anything else such as SMS or voice (which I tried anyway and do not work).

Twice today I have lost my NBN for which this is supposed to be the backup service. I am going overseas for three months in just ONE WEEK so time is running out.

It seems to me that re-activating the service has been a failure- for reasons which are not clear. Given all the time this is taking for people and given that time is money, I suggest cancelling this service and issuing a new one with different phone number, different IP address and different SIM might be the cheapest and easiest way forward. I really do not care if phone number or IP change.

Anyway, I will leave it to Exetel to decide and certainly hope there is a fast breakthrough. I had thought that Optus, given they can see the phone in which I have the SIM (temporarily) would be able to easily find out why there is no data connectivity, but they do not seem to be discovering anything.

Regds,
David

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi David,

I am currently working on this with the most senior person in our provisioning department to check everything again from start to end with the activation process. From the technical point of view, still there are issues from the Optus connected tower and we will continue to follow up that. I will either call you or email as soon as possible.

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Hi Kavinda, the person who rang this afternoon was unaware of several emails from yesterday and today and also unaware of responses by phone and email on the 4G being out at Palm Beach (which is nothing to do with this problem but keeps being mentioned). He got me to try a couple of new APNs, which were not successful.

Regds,
Dave

KavindaS
Forum Admin

Post by KavindaS » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:45 pm

doggy wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:38 pm
Hi Kavinda, the person who rang this afternoon was unaware of several emails from yesterday and today and also unaware of responses by phone and email on the 4G being out at Palm Beach (which is nothing to do with this problem but keeps being mentioned). He got me to try a couple of new APNs, which were not successful.

Regds,
Dave
Hi David,

He was unaware of what I have investigated and discussed by that time with the Optus and our provisioning team. However I have educated him with the action taken and I will drop you an email in detail through the same ticket 12855675.

doggy

Post by doggy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:46 am

I am pleased to report that this problem was fixed a few days ago.
Thanks Exetel.
Best Regards,
David