Think my mobile number has been spoofed - Spam calls

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
aphasia

Think my mobile number has been spoofed - Spam calls

Post by aphasia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:45 pm

Howdy

I believe my mobile number has been spoofed.
getting a ton of calls (50+ over last 4 days) from random people returning my call.
of course i never called them.
guessing some scammer is using my mobile number as a redirect.

when it started had some weird recorded messages in Mandarin or Cantonese.
the remaining messages are in English, some local and a couple with accents.
I've stopped checking messages and cancel all calls unless they're from my Contacts list.

what do i do?
change my number or something?
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded".

KrishanK
Exetel Staff

Re: Think my mobile number has been spoofed - Spam calls

Post by KrishanK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:07 pm

We are aware of this situation as this became a wide issues with the mobile services currently.

We already escalated this issue with the supplier and they confirmed these spoofing are conducted by some unknown team.

However unfortunately since there is no resolution given by the supplier for this, only option we can suggest is to change mobile no.

If you wish to change your mobile no. be kind enough to drop an email to residentialsales@exetel.com.au

Exetel do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

aphasia

Post by aphasia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks KrishanK

I've emailed residentialsales to request change of number.
"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded".

KrishanK
Exetel Staff

Post by KrishanK » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:56 pm

aphasia wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:25 pm
Thanks KrishanK

I've emailed residentialsales to request change of number.
Yes, we can see that your email request is being raised with the Ticket Reference: 13379843

Our Sales Department will get in touch with you to do the needful.

Pfitzy

Post by Pfitzy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm also getting this on the number my son uses. His phone is getting random callbacks and then text messages.

I called one of the targeted numbers, and the guy on the other end said it was someone speaking Mandarin.

It is extremely inconvenient and disturbing to have the number used by my son for his security to be leveraged in this way, and I'd like Exetel or the carrier/supplier to discuss plans to re-issue phone numbers for free to affected handsets.
Friendly fire, isn't...

KrishanK
Exetel Staff

Post by KrishanK » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Pfitzy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:51 pm
I'm also getting this on the number my son uses. His phone is getting random callbacks and then text messages.

I called one of the targeted numbers, and the guy on the other end said it was someone speaking Mandarin.

It is extremely inconvenient and disturbing to have the number used by my son for his security to be leveraged in this way, and I'd like Exetel or the carrier/supplier to discuss plans to re-issue phone numbers for free to affected handsets.
As we mentioned above we are aware of this situation as this became a wide issues with the mobile services currently.

Unfortunately since there is no resolution given by the supplier for this, only option we can suggest is to change mobile no.

If you wish to change your mobile no. be kind enough to drop an email to residentialsales@exetel.com.au

And if there is any changes applicable for this, it may waived off considering this situation.