Interim payments and unfair SMS blocking

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
kiwigene

Interim payments and unfair SMS blocking

Post by kiwigene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:54 pm

I have a question (or perhaps it's just a complaint?) about interim payments to stay unblocked after going over a threshold. Why is it a minimum of $10 interim payment to stay unblocked if you make one erroneous international SMS (value 35 cents) and yet if you don't pay you can be blocked from sending AND receiving ALL SMS (local SMS included) for the rest of the payment cycle? This doesn't seem fair.

My example: An international text was received (via iMessage on data) and the corresponding reply was sent via iMessage as a standard international text (instead of iMessage using data) for some reason. The mobile plan has a $0 excess spend threshold but does allow unlimited local SMS. Why does the sending of one intentional SMS block all local SMS activity? And why is the interim payment to stay unblock $10 rather than just the amount of the infringing activity? i.e. 35 cents?

kiwigene

Re: Interim payments and unfair SMS blocking

Post by kiwigene » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 pm

Or am I missing something? If I pay the $10 do I get unblocked and then credited the $9.65 if I make no further international SMS?
The Dashboard alert is a bit confusing as it indicates the amount to pay is $10 but clicking on the "Pay more to stay unblocked" link it says Current excess usage $0.35 and allows an interim payment of only $5 and also has this dot point "-I understand that if there is any over payment, it will be adjusted with the following monthly invoice". So does that mean I will eventually only be charged 35 cents to stay unblocked?

sankap
Exetel Staff

Post by sankap » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:58 pm

kiwigene wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:09 pm
Or am I missing something? If I pay the $10 do I get unblocked and then credited the $9.65 if I make no further international SMS?
The Dashboard alert is a bit confusing as it indicates the amount to pay is $10 but clicking on the "Pay more to stay unblocked" link it says Current excess usage $0.35 and allows an interim payment of only $5 and also has this dot point "-I understand that if there is any over payment, it will be adjusted with the following monthly invoice". So does that mean I will eventually only be charged 35 cents to stay unblocked?
Hi
You have understood most of the stuff correctly, but let me clarify a little more.

Interim payments amounts are predefined and the minimum is $5
By default it shows as $10 but you can click on "Pay more to stay unblocked" and change the value to $5
Then you would still have to click on "Pay now" and make the payment in order to unblock the services.

SMS facility is one thing and we cannot just block international SMS only. That is why all SMS functionality get blocked.

So if you make an interim payment of $5 and you do not send anymore international SMS or do not acquire any charges that are not included in the plan, you will get a credit back of $4.65 on your next bill.
As you understood correctly, even if you [pay a high interim value, you will eventually only be charged for the excess charges you acquired and any additional credit balances from the interim payment, will be credited back to you.

kiwigene

Post by kiwigene » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:18 am

Thank you (once again) for the prompt and comprehensive reply.