What to do when your mobile is lost/stolen

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
pauld

What to do when your mobile is lost/stolen

Post by pauld » Fri May 02, 2008 2:27 pm

If you have lost your mobile, or had it stolen;

Log fault ticket asking for your SIM card access to outgoing calls to be blocked, this will save you the cost of unauthorised outgoing calls.

Next, Phone 02 9927 1077 and leave a message asking someone to call you back regarding posting you a replacement SIM (it's chargeable), or send an email to telephonesupport@exetel.com.au.

You can then change your voicemail to advise you've lost your mobile, and give an alternate phone number (you can still pick up voicemails, but it's easier to get callers to dial another number) by calling 0414 121 121 (Enter your mobile number and your security code - default is 3333).

If you can be bothered, report the lost/stolen mobile to police, Taxi drivers will always drop off mobiles to their closest police station, and it (and your report) will be hopefully matched up on the database.

If you haven't written down your IMEI (it's your phones unique ID) ask Exetel if they can supply it to you, then request that a block be placed on your stolen/lost phone to prevent it from being used on ANY network in Australia. Even if they use another SIM card this phone will still not work. This blocking can take a few days to reach all other networks.

Once your new SIM card arrives, install it in your replacement phone, and phone Exetel to activate the new SIM (02 9927 1000 - Option 4). It may also help to make a note of your new phone's IMEI.

To check if your IMEI is really blocked, go to http://www.amta.org.au/default.asp?Page=405

If you recover your phone, contact Exetel and remove the block on the IMEI, you can however, only use the new SIM you ordered from Exetel due to the old SIM being disabled.

DylanF
Exetel Staff

Re: What to do when your mobile is lost/stolen

Post by DylanF » Wed May 07, 2008 3:50 pm

I have made slight alterations to the original post, Paul.

Thank you for the contribution.

I have now made this thread stickied!

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu May 29, 2008 6:55 pm

pauld wrote:If you can be bothered, report the lost/stolen mobile to police, Taxi drivers will always drop off mobiles to their closest police station, and it (and your report) will be hopefully matched up on the database.
Your dreaming if you think a taxi driver hands in a mobile phone, they have buyers waiting for them!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

CCCs

Post by CCCs » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:28 am

One thing that I am not sure about in the above howto, is how do you raise a fault ticket for mobile phone accounts?
Th helpdesk page only allows login for ADSL accounts, but not mobile phone accounts.

Is it simply a matter of calling a mobile dedicated number or sending an email to Exetel?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:03 am

CCCs wrote:One thing that I am not sure about in the above howto, is how do you raise a fault ticket for mobile phone accounts?
Th helpdesk page only allows login for ADSL accounts, but not mobile phone accounts.

Is it simply a matter of calling a mobile dedicated number or sending an email to Exetel?
send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lehman05

Post by lehman05 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:17 pm

pauld wrote: You can then change your voicemail to advise you've lost your mobile, and give an alternate phone number (you can still pick up voicemails, but it's easier to get callers to dial another number) by calling 0414 121 121 (Enter your mobile number and your security code - default is 3333).
I just tried this and it didn't accept the number 3333. After 3 times it hung up. I don't ever remember setting up a security code but maybe I did?
Could a rep let me know what to do please?

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:25 am

I am desperately trying to cal 9927 1077 to get someone to unblock my SIM Card which you have just put a block on for some god forsaken reason! This number does not work - I have called yesterday and today 20 times by now and it won't ring or connect!! What am I supposed to do now when it's the long weekend (4 days)?

Update: My SIM has been unblocked by the Sri Lanka team, but Exetel can you please provide an explanation of why the emergency number does not work? Also, how are mobile users supposed to raise "tickets" online when their login details do not work on the helpdesk ticket system?
Moved onto greener pastures

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:39 am

Murphy09 wrote:Also, how are mobile users supposed to raise "tickets" online when their login details do not work on the helpdesk ticket system?
Emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au is an alternative to the online helpdesk ticket system.

Murphy09

Post by Murphy09 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:55 pm

Regarding the barring of a lost/stolen phone using the web portal:
Your first course of action is to log in to your secure Exetel members facility and bar/suspend your service on the left sidebar menu. This is a direct B2B command to our supplier’s portal and the suspension will be actioned immediately.
So where exactly is this menu option to immediately suspend your account? I can't see it anywhere under the left sidebar after logging in?
Moved onto greener pastures

jvevfvf

Post by jvevfvf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:33 pm

Option 4 is nolonger available - you now have to email provisioning@exetel.com.au to do the SIM swap.

Dr Tezza

Post by Dr Tezza » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:46 pm

(sigh)

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 am

This is now an old thread.

For those searching for the current phone number to call when a mobile phone is lost or stolen, the number is 0280301077.

{edited by Dazzled]