Scheduled SMS send from web failed - NYE

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
numptyNiels

Scheduled SMS send from web failed - NYE

Post by numptyNiels » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so feel free to move if needs be.

I, like quite a few people I'm sure, scheduled up a bunch of SMS's to be scheduled for send at 11:45pm on New Years Eve - there was 38 in total from memory and I checked under 'view scheduled SMS' and they were all there. I checked with a few people today though if they received anything from me (I presumed there'd be a backlog on SMS' at this time) but nothing had been sent; I can't see them anywhere under my account now either.

Obviously I'm not wanting to send them now, just wanted to alert Exetel admins that there may've been a problem with your website or SMS gateway a few days ago. Sending SMS's over the web seems to be okay now.

Cheers

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Scheduled SMS send from web failed - NYE

Post by jokiin » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:03 pm

numptyNiels wrote: Sending SMS's over the web seems to be okay now.
have you tried a scheduled send since then?

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:52 pm

jok11n wrote: have you tried a scheduled send since then?
Yeah just tried both then and all okay. Had some issues with normal sending over web earlier this afternoon but they came up as failed rather than just disappearing like the scheduled ones (don't think I was billed for them either though).

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:18 pm

numptyNiels wrote:
jok11n wrote: have you tried a scheduled send since then?
Yeah just tried both then and all okay. Had some issues with normal sending over web earlier this afternoon but they came up as failed rather than just disappearing like the scheduled ones (don't think I was billed for them either though).

not related at all, but just now received a message from a friend that he sent New Years Eve (from his phone), how busy must the networks have been to have that kind of a backlog

samarium

Post by samarium » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

But if the service is there, it needs to be reliable.

I vaguely recall having a similar problem far enough ago that I can't recall the details, however I didn't chase it up.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:41 pm

I learnt today that none of the 3 SMSs I sent via exeSMS (on a mobile) around 10:15 pm on New Year's Eve were received (they weren't scheduled ones) :? The messages show up in the December list and January invoice as successfully sent and were charged for (well, they would have been if I had exceeded my monthly 20 freebies :wink: ).

I re-sent all 3 this afternoon (they were still relevant :) ) and they all went through promptly.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 pm

samarium wrote:But if the service is there, it needs to be reliable.

I vaguely recall having a similar problem far enough ago that I can't recall the details, however I didn't chase it up.
Yeah that's pretty much where I was coming from. I know around NYE naturally mobile networks get a massive spike in traffic which is fine and I don't expect a text to send at that exact time, but next year I'd just like to have confidence that if I'm going to be a lazy bugger and pre-schedule a few SMS's to go out they will indeed be sent - or at least I can find out they weren't. These just disappeared as far as I can tell.

If that can't be reasonably guaranteed then that's cool, I'll just rely on my (tardy but it'll get there) alternative mobile network instead.

James D

Post by James D » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:13 am

I have asked someone to look into this for you.