difference between mobile plan and HSPA plan

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
sevusal

difference between mobile plan and HSPA plan

Post by sevusal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 am

what's the difference between the HSPA Mobile Data plan and Mobile per min/cap data included plan (apart from HSPA offered by Optus while mobile cap plan is offered by vodafone)?

does the mobile cap/per min included data is HSDPA speed capable? Currently, vodafone offers HSDPA speed for to its customer and Exetel Mobile plans uses Vodafone as their carrier. Does it mean that if i buy 'per min' plan from Exetel, i will be able to use Vodafone HSDPA data speed for 'Add-On Data plan'?

vk3xem

Re: difference between mobile plan and HSPA plan

Post by vk3xem » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:31 am

The Vodofone deals are mainly designed for voice although Exetel have started some small data packages this month for them. But it you are planning to make heavier use of data it would be more cost effective to make use of the HSPA plans (Optus).

I have a Mobile data add-on for my Mobile-X (Vodafone) deal for 200MB each month and appears to work pretty fast but no idea of what the speed actually is, I mainly use it for Messenger and occassionally check email on my phone. I also have a HSPA (Optus) plan using the E169 modem for my laptop for when I am away from home like I am a at the moment.

If I had Optus coverage at home I would port my mobile to a HSPA and make more use of VoIP, but I'm sure that will happen eventually as they are improving the network.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

oldman

Post by oldman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:32 am

I had a HSPA account and cancelled it and moved to a per-minute plan. For me, it has proved to be more cost effective as I only use data to check email etc. and only a small amount of data is used for this. Although the Vodafone coverage isn't as good as Optus it isn't a concern as I live and work in a major population area that is adequately covered. I get 3G speeds. The free Exetel-to-Exetel calls was also a contributing factor in deciding to shift as my wife also has a per-minute plan, though she doesn't make use of data as yet.

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks Oldman and Vx.
i would still like to hear from Exetel Rep about the data speed on Vodafone plan. is it HSDPA (3.5Mbps) or just a 3G speed?

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 am

BTW: i have one more question? is there any charge if i change my plan later on? also, can i switch between 'per min' and 'cap' plans without paying for activation again?

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:57 am

If you are on the exetel per minute plan you can switch to the capped plan and vice versa and there is no charge to change between the mobile per minute and capped plans. All plan change request does not come into effect until the 1st of the following month.

sevusal

Post by sevusal » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks Sherman.
can you please comment on my earlier questions regarding HSDPA speed on vodafone?

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 am

They are HSDPA speeds… everything with access to the network will operate at the maximum theoretical speed which is 3.6Mbps given the appropriate HSDPA device is used