Looking for Nokia 3G Mobile Recommendations

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Looking for Nokia 3G Mobile Recommendations

Post by Gidget » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Hi mobile gurus :D

I'm looking for some recommendations for 3G mobiles, specifically, a Nokia model with a native SIP client. The phone doesn't need all the bells and whistles (eg 2 or 3 megapixel camera is fine, don't really need anything better), I'm just after a phone that can be used for VOIP calls, a bit of browsing/emailing, music downloads and playing, wifi capability - the users don't need a top of the range model as long as these specs are met. Because I know the intended users, my most important spec is the SIP client because the VOIP has to be really easy to use :)

Oh, and yes, not more than $300 - $350 would be nice :D, and unlocked so they can enjoy an Exetel plan without fiddling around.

I'm a noob when it comes to mobiles (my head spins looking at the possibilities) so apologies in advance if I am asking for an impossible set of features at an impossible price :lol: If I am, please feel free to point me at something more feasible.

Many thanks

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Looking for Nokia 3G Mobile Recommendations

Post by jokiin » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 pm

native SIP client is disappearing in current models, likely due to telco pressure, that said you can add a 3rd party SIP client to a lot of models and is maybe the better way to go, have they got a particular style they like?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Thanks, jokiin

No particular style as far as I know - I think price will probably be the limiting factor, but I'm obviously open to suggestions.

Is is still possible to get a phone with a native SIP client? They don't need the latest super-duper model.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 pm

I think the E-series are about the only Nokias left now with native SIP. E55 or E66 maybe? There still seem to be a few new ones around Ebay and staticice. But like jokiin, I'd also suggest comparing with a 6000-series plus 3rd party software. ExeMoip ideally, obviously, but even with paid software it would probably work out cheaper for what you want - Uniphone is very easy to use.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi cubic

Thanks for the advice :D

Is there any particular 6000-series model that you'd suggest I look at?

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

vbap

Post by vbap » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:15 am

The table here gives a list of nokia phones that support native SIP and the version of VoIP available in each.

I am assuming the phones listed include the native SIP *client* as well as supporting VoIP...

Your choice also depends on preferred phone format (candybar eg E51, slider eg E66 or Qwerty eg E71)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:33 am

vbap wrote:The table here gives a list of nokia phones that support native SIP and the version of VoIP available in each.
Thanks, vbap, that is very helpful :D
I am assuming the phones listed include the native SIP *client* as well as supporting VoIP...
Yes, this was the great disappointment of the N96 :roll:
Your choice also depends on preferred phone format (candybar eg E51, slider eg E66 or Qwerty eg E71)
I can see that I have a few more questions to ask of my users to narrow my search a bit :D - thanks for the examples.

Thanks again

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:35 am

vbap wrote:I am assuming the phones listed include the native SIP *client* as well as supporting VoIP...
I'm pretty sure the N97 was one of the degutted Nokias, at least in the early versions, so I'd be suspicious of its inclusion in that list. Also heard of some Nokia VoIP implementations that only work over wifi. Definitely something to check before buying if native SIP is a key selling point.
Gidget wrote:Is there any particular 6000-series model that you'd suggest I look at?
6220 maybe? It's the only one I remember after the 6121 that has 2100/900MHz HSPA, but I'm sure there must be others. I haven't been keeping up with recent releases, sorry. That's assuming YesG 900 is a requirement - if not you'll have much more choice.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

jcd

Post by jcd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:58 am

I have a Nokia E71 with an Exetel sim (on the old HSPA M1 - HA plan but about to shift to the new WM - A plan). The E71 supports the 2100 and 900 MHz Optus network, it has a built in SIP client that I have used successfully over both my home Wi-Fi and over the 3G network - the only problem being sometimes when I ring a mobile phone they can't hear me, but it can fall back to the GSM network if needed. The E71 can also tether my mac or netbook to the 3G network via either bluetooth or usb cable. It has a few extras like the GPS which I don't use. I have seen recent prices of around $400 unlocked for a new phone, so you may be able to pick up a used one in your price range.

Bye Jeff.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20 pm

I use the Nokia E66 myself and it works well with the native SIP client. It works great via Wi-Fi, mixed results over HSPA but that is an Optus issue with capacity in some areas.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 pm

Many thanks for all your helpful responses :D

I'll start doing some serious thinking about the options in the morning.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

Aaphid

Post by Aaphid » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 pm

Gidget wrote:Hi mobile gurus :D

I'm looking for some recommendations for 3G mobiles, specifically, a Nokia model with a native SIP client. Because I know the intended users, my most important spec is the SIP client because the VOIP has to be really easy to use :) Gidget
Apart from ease of use is there any advantage in using a native SIP client vs adding a 3rd party one?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:30 pm

Aaphid wrote:
Gidget wrote:Hi mobile gurus :D

I'm looking for some recommendations for 3G mobiles, specifically, a Nokia model with a native SIP client. Because I know the intended users, my most important spec is the SIP client because the VOIP has to be really easy to use :) Gidget
Apart from ease of use is there any advantage in using a native SIP client vs adding a 3rd party one?
it can be a disadvantage with the built in SIP client unless you add another package to get access to the hidden settings, the default options don't always work well so it can take a bit of tweaking to get it right otherwise, some of the 3rd party apps are a lot more straightforward in this respect

BradM

Post by BradM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 am

Gidget,

Sorry, didn't see your post until today.

I have been doing an ongoing evaluation of smartphones with a good and flexible set of capabilities at a reasonable price - a frugal solution.

I can't comment on the SIP issue specifically; other people would know a lot more and have the experience. But in terms of smartphone capabilities, robustness, and value for money, I settled on the Nokia E63. This is a cut-down (but a little more modern) version of the Nokia E71, both aimed at a business user but capable of handling entertainment as well (the E63 has a standard 3.5 mm earphone socket; the E71 has a smaller non-standard one, a significant annoyance). They both have a decent physical qwerty keyboard, a reasonable screen size, and MS Office 2007 document compatibility, amongst a lot of other useful attributes, and are mature phones. The E63 has no GPS but, if you download and use Google maps, that application remarkably figures out your physical location to within a couple of hundred metres in seconds, without GPS, and connecting via either 3G or wifi.

If there is some function you want a Nokia smartphone to perform, I'd be surprised if you couldn't get an E63 to do it with some downloaded software. For example, I have installed Skype and done some basic tests and it seems to work for free PC-to-PC -style classic Skype calls (I tested it via wifi). The E63 also has an high-capacity battery, 1.5 amp-hour, really decent for heavy use and better than many other more expensive phones.

Regarding 3G performance, technically the E63 I understand has 3G but not HSDPA, whereas the E71 has HSDPA. The way mobile broadband networks perform, most users are probably not going to notice the difference. For casual web browsing, I have done testing browsing both via wifi and via Vodafone network, and there doesn't appear to be an obvious difference. I have not done stringent performance tests as it does not really interest me to that level of detail. Out and about, café wifi connections are very variable in speed, and so is Vodafone. It's a bit of a lottery so I don't know if it is worth paying for a high-performance HSDPA device for casual use. This review of the E63 discusses the 3G issue: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e63-review-305.php

Both E63 and E71 have been drifting down in price over the past year, and the E63 can be found at prices as follows:

1. If the user is happy with the Exetel Vodafone-based plan, you can buy an E63 (Vodafone pre-paid, official Australian stock) at $199 without trying very hard. Just before Christmas Target even had a big sale at $169, although that is finished now. At that bare-bones price, you get just the phone, a multi-voltage charger adequate for travelling, and a 1GB microSD card (the phone will take an 8GB card). Annoyingly there is no included PC-to-phone sync cable included; you need to buy an aftermarket one which is Noka CA-126 -compatible for about $20 at dealers. There is also no case included, but a decent iPhone "leather" belt clip/case that seems to fit well costs $15 from dealers. This version of the handset is also in just one colour - black. This really is a frugal solution.
This phone works immediately with an Exetel Vodafone SIM and minimal setup. The E63 is supposed to be unlockable for $25 after 6 months but other people would know better whether this can be relied upon.

2. If you want an unlocked E63 then you will pay a bit under or a bit over $300 at discounters, and the package contents may be slightly different.
A search on http://www.staticice.com.au with search string "Nokia E63" will show a list like this
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/sea ... es=1&pos=2
(this link will stop working after the passage of some time).
Going to those discounters you would be advised to check the reputation of the outlet you intend to use with reference to Whirlpool postings, etc, and, even if those sellers list "A-tick Australian stock" on their web sites do not assume that all phones they sell will be to that standard. You need to inspect the particular handset you are buying to make sure it really is Australian stock, and take a look in the battery compartment and ensure that there is no funny business such as a hardware unlock of an otherwise-locked overseas model handset via an add-on adaptor chip sitting in the SIM socket.

In choosing a retailer you might also consider likely ease of claiming your consumer rights if the handset should be dead on arrival or fail early. Nokia makes hundreds of millions of phones, but every Nokia we have owned has failed under warranty, some several times, and none have lasted much beyond the warranty. This is not to say that any other brand or model is more reliable; mobile phones seems to have a very high failure rate, and it is a rare model or brand that does not. Consumers are not in a position to know the facts of this, a classic case of being disadvantaged by information asymmetry. This is also one reason that, unless you are prepared to pay very high ongoing ownership costs, I don't think it is worth paying huge amounts of money ($600-$1,000) for a smartphone handset which likely need replacing in a year or two. Hence the above choice.

I hope this helps in some way.

Regards,
BradM

Old Flame

Post by Old Flame » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:33 am

Hey Gidget,
I have had a Nokia 5800 music express for the last 6 months and it does all you need, I use fring for exe VoIP calls while at home using it and it was a 2 minute setup. 3MP camera and touchscreen all the way. I don't use 3G with mine yet as I don't need to (Wireless at work and home) but I expect fring will work just as well over 3G as it does over wireless. You can get them for around $300 (or less) now from retail outlets online with them comparison sites, outright, unlocked with 8GB memory card included (You can put up to 16GB Micro SD in it.