OPTARSE coverage failing

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
vk3xem

OPTARSE coverage failing

Post by vk3xem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:16 pm

When is OPTARSE going to fix the coverage around my residential area? It has progressivly gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. It has always been average to lousy but now it is just useless, like the HSPA data side because they have no bandwidth available around here.

I am on the phone to support but the call taker has just told me he can't do anything (what else is new with the overseas call takers can they do anything?) and that I will have to email residential support. So I will email them now.

Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

James
Exetel Staff

Re: OPTARSE coverage failing

Post by James » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:27 pm

vk3xem wrote:When is OPTARSE going to fix the coverage around my residential area? It has progressivly gotten worse over the last couple of weeks. It has always been average to lousy but now it is just useless, like the HSPA data side because they have no bandwidth available around here.

I am on the phone to support but the call taker has just told me he can't do anything (what else is new with the overseas call takers can they do anything?) and that I will have to email residential support. So I will email them now.

Hopefully this will get resolved quickly.

Yes our call centre can help you, but there is nothing we can do about poor speeds.

Optus continually monitors its network, but upgrading towers is no easy process.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:39 pm

The poor speeds I have put up with. But the normal phone calls not working now I can't put up with. Why can't Optarse fix it so I can make and recieve phone calls? They keep dropping out!!!!!!
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 pm

vk3xem wrote:The poor speeds I have put up with. But the normal phone calls not working now I can't put up with. Why can't Optarse fix it so I can make and recieve phone calls? They keep dropping out!!!!!!
Mobile or VoIP calls?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:21 pm

JasonM wrote:
vk3xem wrote:The poor speeds I have put up with. But the normal phone calls not working now I can't put up with. Why can't Optarse fix it so I can make and recieve phone calls? They keep dropping out!!!!!!
Mobile or VoIP calls?
HAHA forget VoIP calls, I'm not going to waste my time complaining about them. It is the voice calls that don't work anymore, so what hope would VoIP have without a signal?????

VoIP calls work fine at home because I can access ADSL via my wireless AP.

VoIP works elseswhere depending if an individual OPTARSE cell has any HSPA bandwidth capacity. This is a seperate issue that shoud be dealt with another time.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

JasonM

Post by JasonM » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:29 pm

OK, if Voice calls aren't working that might be unrelated to the data and possible a hardware or coverage issue.

Can you create a ticket, and let me know the ticket number? Include the areas you know the calls are not working, and what times (or if it's all the time)..

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi Jason,

The ticket has already been generated, Your ticket number is - #2344401#. I know other Optarse users near my place and they also have always had average to lousy signals, they also believe the signal has worsened of late also.

Optarse really need to get off thier arse around here because coverage into the Healesville Sanctuary, close to my place must also be suffering with this pathetic service level.

Three sites have been offered to Optarse to cover this part of Healesville and Badger Creek since last year and they have been to lazy to even follow up on them.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

It is not just your side of the ridge. Over 'our side' (Kalorama, MtD, Olinda, Sassafras) it is as bad, even on the tourist rd. It is one of the reasons I have not bothered with an HSPA account.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:49 pm

It's not good enough. They claim to provide a service and they clearly do not.

Once I have finished with this lack of service coverage I will start on bandwidth, after all it is being supplied for data and VoIP use!

It is time to put a rocket up Optus's arse big time and force them to provide the service they are meant to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Gee, vk3xem, Verizon and Optus are really starting to get at you. If you lived the same distance out from a much larger city, on the Hawkesbury River instead of the Yarra, you wouldn't have a GSM mobile in most places, let alone a 3G VoIP service, or standard television or possibly not even ADSL1 for that matter. There are a few Exetel customers though - I know one with a private mast on a mountain with antennae aimed at the Kurrajong Heights phone (Blue Mountains, 30 km) and Wollongong 150 km! (TV) transmitters.

mintaro

Post by mintaro » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:26 am

I live at Belair on the Adelaide Hills face zone. I am less than 10km from the centre of Adelaide and in line of sight from most of the Optus towers in the Adelaide area. reception is between poor and impossible with my mobile. Optus say their towers focus downwards and the towers in the hills behind are blocked by being out of line of sight. There ae probably several hundred houses in this zone and Optus has advised me they are not planning any improvement. My wife's Telstra company phone has better service but still poor. Can Optus point a transmitter at Mitcham upwards for a change so I don't have to walk several hundred metres to make a call?

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:33 pm

mintaro wrote:I live at Belair on the Adelaide Hills face zone. I am less than 10km from the centre of Adelaide and in line of sight from most of the Optus towers in the Adelaide area. reception is between poor and impossible with my mobile. Optus say their towers focus downwards and the towers in the hills behind are blocked by being out of line of sight. There ae probably several hundred houses in this zone and Optus has advised me they are not planning any improvement. My wife's Telstra company phone has better service but still poor. Can Optus point a transmitter at Mitcham upwards for a change so I don't have to walk several hundred metres to make a call?
Shoot me an email with your details (number of your Mobile Broadband service and the address or the area your intended in using this service) to thejeg@exetel.com.au and I will raise it directly with our supplier.