Does Exetel still owe you your $200 global roaming refund?

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
fuzzmonkey

Does Exetel still owe you your $200 global roaming refund?

Post by fuzzmonkey » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:00 pm

If you've used (and since disabled) Exetel's global roaming service, make sure to check you've received the promised $200 refund of the collateral you pay upfront.

I had completely forgotten about my $200 refund until Saturday when I was reviewing my bank statements. It's been 57 calendar days since I disabled global roaming. On Saturday I replied to the original "application to disable global roaming" email I received on August 20 (which promises my $200 refund within "10-15 business days"). Saturday's reply from Exetel contained an apology and news that it would arrive in "3-4 business days".

I'm very disappointed how poor Exetel's global roaming refund system is. If I hadn't of been reading my bank statements, I really feel that Exetel's system would have forever left me $200 out of pocket.

Please assure me that my case is an exception to what I had once thought was always excellent service?

shoner
Exetel Staff

Re: Does Exetel still owe you your $200 global roaming refun

Post by shoner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 pm

Hello fuzzmonkey,

Could you kindly PM me the related ticket number or the service number related to this query

Regards
Shone.
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:16 pm

fuzzmonkey wrote:If you've used (and since disabled) Exetel's global roaming service, make sure to check you've received the promised $200 refund of the collateral you pay upfront.

I had completely forgotten about my $200 refund until Saturday when I was reviewing my bank statements. It's been 57 calendar days since I disabled global roaming. On Saturday I replied to the original "application to disable global roaming" email I received on August 20 (which promises my $200 refund within "10-15 business days"). Saturday's reply from Exetel contained an apology and news that it would arrive in "3-4 business days".

I'm very disappointed how poor Exetel's global roaming refund system is. If I hadn't of been reading my bank statements, I really feel that Exetel's system would have forever left me $200 out of pocket.

Please assure me that my case is an exception to what I had once thought was always excellent service?
I believe the money is refunded after X days, x being the time limit our upstreams can pass on international calling CRDs (call record details).

mycle

Post by mycle » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:19 pm

fuzzmonkey wrote:Please assure me that my case is an exception to what I had once thought was always excellent service?
From what I can see, it's the rule not the exception. It took me several emails and helpdesks to get mine back many weeks after I returned.

Mycle.

oldman

Post by oldman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:07 pm

My son had to send a few emails also, especially as Exetel took out another $200 from his account instead of refunding it when he turned global roaming off.

fuzzmonkey

Post by fuzzmonkey » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:54 pm

James wrote:I believe the money is refunded after X days, x being the time limit our upstreams can pass on international calling CRDs (call record details).
So does that suggest that the time it takes to get the refund is entirely out of Exetel's control?

This seems really inconsistent with my experience. Once I prompted Exetel on Saturday about my missing $200 from August 20, the refund came instantly (on Monday). This does not seem like it had been genuinely held up in transit from "upstreams". Can you please clarify?

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:08 pm

fuzzmonkey wrote:
James wrote:I believe the money is refunded after X days, x being the time limit our upstreams can pass on international calling CRDs (call record details).
So does that suggest that the time it takes to get the refund is entirely out of Exetel's control?

This seems really inconsistent with my experience. Once I prompted Exetel on Saturday about my missing $200 from August 20, the refund came instantly (on Monday). This does not seem like it had been genuinely held up in transit from "upstreams". Can you please clarify?
No, it is entirely in our control, but there is often a delay in international call records being made avaialble.

samarium

Post by samarium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Last year trying to get it refunded resulted in another $200 taken from my account, but it was sorted out after about a month and 4-5 emails. But that was a month and 4-5 emails of hassle I shouldn't have to spend the time to negotiate.

This year I just started looking at it again, and while it seems I can just untick the global roaming option and press confirm, this just results in a error message "Your account status is inactive. You cannot view your details any more."

When I go back in via

Manage Services->Wireless Broadband
Voicemail/Diversions->[mobile number]->select

I see that international roaming is still selected.

The good news is that View Invoices isn't showing another $300 charge.
The bad news is that isn't showing a $300 refund.
That was another hassle last year too, there should be an invoice showing the refund, since there was an invoice showing the charge.

I was hoping that exetel would have fixed this problem given is has been over a year, and it seems that there still doesn't see to be a way to get a refund of the global roaming deposit using the Exetel Member Services website, which is somewhat amusing given Exetel boasts that they automate everything.

Hopefully someone from Exetel will respond and tell us how to get a refund using Exetel Member Services.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:42 pm

samarium wrote:Hopefully someone from Exetel will respond and tell us how to get a refund using Exetel Member Services.
Billing enquires *must* go to billing@exetel.com.au. As for implementation via Member Facilities, not sure of the best contact for that, perhaps include it in your email and if you don't receive a satisfactory resolution, email resolution@exetel.com.au including the billing ticket number.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

samarium

Post by samarium » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:22 pm

Billing are generally pretty good, although sometimes it takes a little time.

I'll give shady a poke over at the Member Facilities forum, and see what he says the situation is first before thinking about the escalation route.

JOHNNY_JO_JINX

Post by JOHNNY_JO_JINX » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:50 pm

I can report similar experiences with deactivation of mobile roaming.

On the first occasion I deactivated, I was actually billed $200 a second time, and it took several emails and many weeks before I got my $400 back. Exetel promises to refund it were NOT folowed up promptly.

ON the second occasion I deactivated, it again took several emails before I got my $200 back.