confused

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
jauser

confused

Post by jauser » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 pm

I applied to be moved to the optus mobile plan cap14 and to the broadband otbb plan.Today i recieved an email saying i requested a HSPA application.What is HSPA? it came with 3 pages of things to do.All i want to do is move off the old incphone /vodaphone mob plan to this new one.Also is USIM a simcard? I;m a bit lost here ,thank you

bingggo

Re: confused

Post by bingggo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:59 am

As I understand it, HSPA is a general name for the type of Optus plan you have requested. The USIM is the new SIM card that you will place in your phone and call up to activate, so your new plan will start.

jauser

Post by jauser » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:43 pm

Ok got that sorted,logged on to the members facilities as the email said ,but cant find the ACTIVATE button .It only comes up with my current setup??????????

jauser

Post by jauser » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:35 pm

HSPA isnt mobile broadband is it???????

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:44 pm

It's used for internet (3G wireless services). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access

jauser

Post by jauser » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:55 pm

Dazzled wrote:It's used for internet (3G wireless services). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Speed_Packet_Access
Thanks for repling.i didnt know i was sighning up for wireless.I only wanted to update broadband and mobile.I better cancel before i go nutttsssss

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:15 pm

Don't cancel it. Ring or email Exetel (try residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for want of a better email address) to confirm whether your order has been processed correctly. I will also bring this thread to someone's attention and perhaps you can PM / email them directly to clear up what's gone on
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Applying for an Exetel Optus Mobile service signs you up under a "HSPA" service, but the only difference is that the "HSPA" service is not really a HSPA service - it's a mobile service.

Personally, I think this should be changed to avoid confusion.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

dbr

Post by dbr » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:41 pm

jauser wrote:Ok got that sorted,logged on to the members facilities as the email said ,but cant find the ACTIVATE button .It only comes up with my current setup??????????
Yeah, this got me as well at first. If you log in to your ADSL account using the landline number, you will be able to see the new CAP14 HSPA Mobile plans under Wireless Broadband, but there is no activate button.

You need to log in using the mobile number and then you can activate the SIM. This will auto port the vodafone number across to the optus SIM (if you entered the port data on the application form.

(and for those like me who ported four services, you need to log in separately to activate each, rather than just use your main user facilities - where you can see them, but not manipulate them).

So don't sweat it. The new CAP14, CAP19 etc are Optus Mobile plans that come with data and are classed HSPA or Wireless Broadband because they come with data and can be used in 3G Handsets or modems. The advatage is that you can use MoIP apps to make calls over the 3G rather than using the expensive GSM (mobile) rates.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

jauser

Post by jauser » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:44 pm

I can only logon to the user facilities with my landline number.The latest email from tech support said to use the ACTIVATE button,but ive been looking for this button for 4 days :roll:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm unfamiliar with mobile activation. If you get no responses I'd suggest emailing residentialsupport@exetel.com.au for clarification
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Al08

Post by Al08 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:55 pm

Hi there,

Had exactly the same problem since yesterday and have spent most of today trying to activate my new SIM. I too switched from the Vodafone plan to an Optus one and thought it'd be pretty simple.

After an unsuccessful phonecall and an email that went unanswered for over 4 hours, I managed to work it out myself after many unsuccessful attempts. I figured I'd share my newfound knowledge with the rest of you. Support staff really need to give clear and specific instructions when they send out new SIM cards etc.

- Go to the login page for Members Facilities
- Click on "Wireless Broadband"
- Login with your the username and password Exetel provided in the email.
- Your account details should show straightaway on the home page. Check your details and then click the activate button.

SIM was active in a little over an hour (not 20 mins as advised to me on the phone).

Hope that helps everyone. As soon as I worked it out, I just had to register to the forum and share the process. :D

Al