Need help to select Exetel mobile/HSPA/VOIP service.

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
avalon018

Need help to select Exetel mobile/HSPA/VOIP service.

Post by avalon018 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:59 pm

I am a happy customer with Exetel ADSL for many years but have yet to use Exetel mobile or wireless services.

Till now I use a low-cost phone with pre-paid Optus SIM which is expensive at the rate of 99c/min so I contained the cost by keeping the calls down. So things have been quite out of date.

I recently bought outright a new android 2.2 smart phone with Wifi/3G/HSPA capabilities.
I plan to use sipdroid to make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls.
I am trying to work out how to use HSPA and VOIP in order to lower the normal mobile call costs.

I want to be able to:
1. port my existing Optus pre-paid mobile number
2. make outgoing calls using sipdroid client in my mobile handset.
3. receive incoming calls using sipdroid client in my mobile handset.
4. use my mobile HSPA as WIFI for my laptop to access Internet on the go.

I read many entries in the forum but become very confused because many things are new to me
and also it is difficult to follow the threads as there are recent changes in Exetel plan offers,
please help to confirm or suggest ways to achieve the above needs.

I am inclined to the Mobile HSPA Broadband or Wireless Broadband, rather than the
Residential Mobile Services Capped plans.

1. Can I port my existing mobile number to the new Exetel SIM?
2. When I dial out using sipdroid client, what number will be displayable on the target handset?
3. Can my friends call me on the same mobile number (which I assume that it can be ported over
Exetel SIM)?
4. What are the differences between Exetel Wireless Broadband and Mobile HSPA Broadband?
They seem to be the same as they both offer the same plans e.g. WBP $5/month and 2c/MB, so which one should I use?
5. What is the cost listed for outgoing calls in the plan (e.g. $0.25 per 30 seconds for WBP)? When can this cost incur?
6. If I use a SIP client e.g. sipdroid in my android mobile with HSPA, will the call be charged as data @ 2c/MB
or as call duration time ($0.25 per 30 seconds) for WBP plan?
7. Can I dial international (on voip) and will there be additional costs?
8. Can I receive international calls and will there be additional costs?
9. The DID which comes with the HSPA VOIP helps keep the cost down for people to call me from a local fixed line, is this correct?
10. Can I access Internet from laptop with the mobile handset HSPA as modem with HSPA plan?
11. When I travel overseas and use the phone, will there be additional costs for international roaming?
12. Any other ways I should consider?

Advices/suggestions are appreciated.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Need help to select Exetel mobile/HSPA/VOIP service.

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:26 pm

I'm no expert in mobile services, but I'll try to answer as many of these as accurately as I can
avalon018 wrote:1. Can I port my existing mobile number to the new Exetel SIM?
Yes. There is an option for this on the sign-up page
avalon018 wrote:3. Can my friends call me on the same mobile number (which I assume that it can be ported over Exetel SIM)?
Yes, that is the whole purpose of porting numbers.
avalon018 wrote:4. What are the differences between Exetel Wireless Broadband and Mobile HSPA Broadband?
They seem to be the same as they both offer the same plans e.g. WBP $5/month and 2c/MB, so which one should I use?
No difference. The WB / WP plans are indeed duplicated in each of the "Mobile" and "Wireless" sections of Exetel's website. Almost all mobile phone plans on the market nowadays include some data allowance and vice versa, so such plans often straddle the definition of "mobile phone" and "mobile broadband".
avalon018 wrote:5. What is the cost listed for outgoing calls in the plan (e.g. $0.25 per 30 seconds for WBP)? When can this cost incur?
Not sure I follow what you are asking. For WB / WP plans, you pay a monthly access cost that provides you with a data allowance, and you pay for outgoing mobile calls at the flagfall and call rate indicated.
avalon018 wrote:6. If I use a SIP client e.g. sipdroid in my android mobile with HSPA, will the call be charged as data @ 2c/MB or as call duration time ($0.25 per 30 seconds) for WBP plan?
When using a SIP client, the calls are charged as data, but you then also incur the VOIP charges. So to Australian landlines, this will be untimed (10c per call) + data usage at 2c/MB (based on VOIP bandwidth 1MB equates to about 1-2 minutes talk time I think). To Australian mobiles, this is 15c per minute or so + data usage, so effectively about 16-17c per minute.
avalon018 wrote:7. Can I dial international (on voip) and will there be additional costs?
Yes. Data usage is unchanged but your VOIP call rates will vary according to your VOIP plan. See http://www.exetel.com.au/voip_pricelist.php and http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-int-voip-packs.php for instance. As an aside, international rates (on regular mobile phone) are at http://www.exetel.com.au/mobile_pricing ... tional.php
avalon018 wrote:8. Can I receive international calls and will there be additional costs?
Receiving calls, via VOIP or via regular mobile doesn't cost anything.
avalon018 wrote:9. The DID which comes with the HSPA VOIP helps keep the cost down for people to call me from a local fixed line, is this correct?
Yep. Calls to a DID are charged like a landline call, regardless of the device being use to register and receive the calls (be that a mobile, laptop, etc). However, if you wanted to receive calls on that DID, you'd need to have your phone permanently connected and registered; that would drain the mobile battery quite quickly I think.
avalon018 wrote:10. Can I access Internet from laptop with the mobile handset HSPA as modem with HSPA plan?
I'm pretty sure you can interchange the SIM between a mobile, and a mobile broadband USB modem without any issues. The USB modem (or in-built 3G on a laptop) is really just another mobile phone without buttons and screen. You can even use the Optus software to send and read SMSes on the SIM card
avalon018 wrote:11. When I travel overseas and use the phone, will there be additional costs for international roaming?
Yes. Not sure what happens for global roaming on the WB / WP plans. The other "per minute" and "cap" plans have a tab there for international roaming rates, but I'm not entirely sure if those same rates apply for WB plans. Both are on Optus infrastructure, so they might apply, but might be best to seek clarification from someone else.
avalon018 wrote:12. Any other ways I should consider?
Perhaps just VOIP for outgoing calls on the mobile (aka MOIP) but the regular mobile number for incoming calls to conserve battery...not sure what other people do and whether there is a way to have the one mobile number achieve both simultaneously.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

avalon018

Post by avalon018 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello Corey,

Thanks for the information. After consideration I have ordered 2 HSPA mobile services 1 19CAP and 1 35CAP.

Cheers,

toast

Post by toast » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:35 pm

I dabbled with VoIP over mobile for a while too. After a few months, it just wasn't worth the effort and went to TPG cap plan.. then Exetel introduced the CAP plans and I've been on the CAP35 since mid october. The battery life also isn't as good. It is confusing for people wanting to contact me.. not sure what number to call.

Note though, that as yet Exetel don't tell you how much data you are using.

Also note that you can in fact make VoIP calls using the 1GB of data included if you do manage to use all of the cap.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:33 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:I'm no expert in mobile services, but I'll try to answer as many of these as accurately as I can
avalon018 wrote:10. Can I access Internet from laptop with the mobile handset HSPA as modem with HSPA plan?
I'm pretty sure you can interchange the SIM between a mobile, and a mobile broadband USB modem without any issues. The USB modem (or in-built 3G on a laptop) is really just another mobile phone without buttons and screen. You can even use the Optus software to send and read SMSes on the SIM card
Please see the note on the site and the email sent ...

When tethering by using the SIM in a non-mobile device (such as a USB modem), there is no included data component. Data is charged in addition to the Cap.

Note that this is for CAP plans only. You CAN tether, and you CAN use the SIM in a USB etc, but the data is charged at Cap-excess rates. If you're not on a Cap plan then don't worry.