Clarification of the CAP Mobile Data Usage email

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
bodogbodog

Clarification of the CAP Mobile Data Usage email

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:14 pm

To clear up any confusion regarding data charges on the Exetel Mobile Cap (via Optus) and Exetel HSPA (via Optus) plans, please be advised of the following.
a) If you are on an Exetel Mobile Cap plan (via Optus network) and you are using the SIM in a mobile device (ie mobile handset) --
- data charges are INCLUDED in the cap worth. This is also true when tethering using a mobile device.
b) If you are on an Exetel Mobile Cap plan (via Optus network) and you are using the SIM in a non-mobile device (ie USB stick) --
- data charges are NOT INCLUDED in the cap worth. Data is charged IN ADDITION to the Cap.
c) If you are on an Exetel HSPA (via Optus network) plan, tethering may be possible depending on your handset. We can only confirm it is not possible using an iPhone.
d) If you are on an Exetel (via Vodafone) mobile plan, this email does not concern you. Please ignore.

I recieved the email above on Monday - and I am actually a little confused now

Two questions:

What is the status when I put the CAP19 SIM card in my built in 3G slot on my laptop – that must be a mobile device you'd think? - but after the message I'm not so sure given a Mobile USB stick modem is categorised as a "non-mobile device"- can you clarify the status of my built in 3G modem and how traffic will be counted?

Does the data usage actually come out of the dollar allowance under the plan - if so which allowance?
So in the case of the CAP19 plan does it comes out of the Call and SMS allowance of $165 - I hadn't thought that was the case given Data is not a Call or SMS? - and I wouldnt have thought it would come out of the Exetel to Exetel Included Call Value allowance of $148 - I had thought that the 200MB of Data was additional to those allowances. If Data does come out of the $165 allowance what is the rate it is going to be charged at so I can keep an eye on my usage?

It's not a huge deal for me as it looks like I wont use the $165 allowance this month but I'd really like to be clear for future reference

Thanks

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Re: Clarification of the CAP Mobile Data Usage email

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:54 pm

What is the status when I put the CAP19 SIM card in my built in 3G slot on my laptop – that must be a mobile device you'd think?
OK, a laptop is a 'portable' device. When we say 'mobile' we really mean 'able to make calls using your voice and able to receive calls using your ears'. It is nothing to do with typing by using your fingers. In the beginning, a 'mobile phone' was a device you could make calls from and to. This soon became known as a 'mobile' if you lived anywhere outside the USA, where it is a 'cell'....then very smart people realised you could use 'mobiles' for data transit too. And now it is all very confusing.
Anyway, I digress. This will be categorised as a non-mobile device and you will pay IN ADDITION to the Cap. It fits into b) above.
Does the data usage actually come out of the dollar allowance under the plan...
Data usage has nothing to do with those dollar allowances. It is exhausted from the 'Data Inclusion'
The Data Inclusion on the Cap19 is 200Mb. So you get 200Mb of usage before any data usage is calculated and charged.
Once 200Mb is exhausted, it is charged at $0.275 per MB (excess data rate)
So in the case of the CAP19 plan does it comes out of the Call and SMS allowance of $165
No it doesn't. Calls and SMS' come out of that allowance.
and I wouldn't have thought it would come out of the Exetel to Exetel Included Call Value allowance of $148
Correct, it doesn't
I hadn't thought that was the case given Data is not a Call or SMS?
Just a technical point, actually an SMS is data - an early slow form of data - but it is not counted in the 'data' we are referring to.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for the quick response - a couple of further clarification questions:

When you say
we really mean 'able to make calls using your voice and able to receive calls using your ears'. It is nothing to do with typing by using your fingers
On my laptop I can make voice calls via the 3G connection - it's just a VERY big handset :) in that situation - likewise on my Windows mobile handset I can browse the web and also make phone calls - the difference between the device seems pretty much indistinguishable IMHO given the functionality provided by both is in those cases the same

The original message said
b) If you are on an Exetel Mobile Cap plan (via Optus network) and you are using the SIM in a non-mobile device (ie USB stick) --
- data charges are NOT INCLUDED in the cap worth. Data is charged IN ADDITION to the Cap.

but your post says

This will be categorised as a non-mobile device and you will pay IN ADDITION to the Cap. It fits into b) above. and
Data usage has nothing to do with those dollar allowances. It is exhausted from the 'Data Inclusion'
The Data Inclusion on the Cap19 is 200Mb. So you get 200Mb of usage before any data usage is calculated and charged.
Once 200Mb is exhausted, it is charged at $0.275 per MB (excess data rate)

They appear to contradict each other - first It is "in addition to the Cap" - then its included in the CAP up to 200mb in the case of the CAP19 plan - can you clarify which it is - I'm hoping the later. It seems that in effect any data traffic up to 200mb is not going to be charged for

When you say "actually an SMS is data - an early slow form of data - but it is not counted in the 'data' we are referring to" - I agree - I never said SMS wasnt datsa - but the allowance does put SMS and Voice Calls together and not in the data allowance... so in this case it's Exetels definition that its not data

How does Exetel tell / can it tell what device is being used to generate the data traffic? - if its in a mobile/cell handset then its not chargable data (up to 200gb) - but if its in a laptop modem it is charged in full without any 200mb allowance (I think thats what you're saying?)

Edit: Fixed gb to mb :)
Last edited by bodogbodog on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 am

How does Exetel tell / can it tell what device is being used to generate the data traffic?
Exetel can't, Optus can. Optus will bill Exetel which means Exetel will bill customers.
if its in a mobile/cell handset then its not chargeable data (up to 200gb)
That's correct. Chargeable after the 200Mb is exhausted.
but if its in a laptop modem it is charged in full without any 200gb allowance
Correct. Chargeable regardless of any data inclusion
The original message said
- data charges are NOT INCLUDED at all. Data is charged on top of the Cap value of $19.
Is that better understood?

The safest rule is this. Use the Cap plan for what it is intended. ie in a mobile handset. Not in a USB stick, not in a laptop, not in an iPad or any other non-mobile device.
If you try to use the SIM in a device that is not a mobile handset, you will probably be caught out by having to pay high data charges.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:56 am

Ok - I think I understand the situation now
Still can't understand how Optus can differentiate the source of a data stream on HSPA - I thought data was bit and bytes regardless of what generates it.
I guess this is all to do with the proliferation of iPads and all the other "x"pads coming onto the market which are going to make data consumption easier than on a small phone handset

Actually my setup is going to work well with these "boundaries" - I've got a CAP19 for voice/data on my Windows Phone handset and a HSPA post paid plan for my Tablet Laptop with integrated 3G

at least your email has warned people of the situation
but I suspect this situation is still going to lead to tears for some when the January invoices go out...

vbap

Post by vbap » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:59 am

bodogbodog wrote:Still can't understand how Optus can differentiate the source of a data stream on HSPA
I think it is done via the EMEI of your device. When your device registers with a mobile network, not only are the SIM details sent (network/carrier,SIM ID) but also some device info. The carrier can cross reference the device info on some global database.

I am no expert though, this is my guess!

EDIT: More info on EMEI numbers

Fr33

Post by Fr33 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:31 pm

Hi,
I am checking my CAP19 usage and I am being charged for data use before my 200mb has been touched i.e.

Data Usage: 51 sessions 8.903 MB $2.45

I know its not much but Im just using a htc windows mobile phone not a stick in a laptop or an ipad etc.

Please explain, why charged why I am being charged for data before my 200mb allowance is used?

Please advise :(

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:12 am

Fr33 wrote:Please explain, why charged why I am being charged for data before my 200mb allowance is used?
I very much doubt you have actually been charged for anything - billing occurs at the end of the month
I suspect what you are seeing is the usage being reported in User Facilities so we can keep track of how much we've used against the bundled quota, or gone over - that is not being billed for it
I'm expecting that as long as its been via a handset and its within the included quota (200mb in the case of the CAP19) that we wont be charged for it

Fr33

Post by Fr33 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:09 pm

I looked at my last invoice and I was charged for data. I didnt get a chance to use any of my 200mb. See below. Im just using my phone, no usb or ipad. Something doesnt make sense. See below Data Usage: 52 sessions 15.676 MB $4.31
Any ideas please?

Call Summary
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
National Call: 26 calls 4020 seconds $76.34
Mobile Call: 41 calls 3000 seconds $65.29
On-Net SMS: 4 SMS 4 SMS $1.00
SMS: 7 SMS 7 SMS $1.75
Data Usage: 52 sessions 15.676 MB $4.31
Free Usage From Social Network: 5 sessions 1.015 MB $0.00
MMS: 2 0 $1.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: 137 calls $149.69

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:38 am

Strange
You should send a message to billing@exetel.com.au and ask them about it - they're really the only ones who can answer your specific situation
I'll certainly be interested to see my invoice early next month...

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:13 pm

bodogbodog wrote:Strange
You should send a message to billing@exetel.com.au and ask them about it - they're really the only ones who can answer your specific situation
I'll certainly be interested to see my invoice early next month...
Ha - so now I get to follow my own advice!

Well it didn't happen in my December bill but I just got my January bill and discovered I have been charged for ALL of my data usage ($30+ worth) on my mobile phone on the CAP 19 plan - even though all of the data used was via the mobile phone handset and would have included a lot of Facebook time which shouldn't be charged at all (I have an HSPA account to use with my 3G modem in my laptop so don't use the CAP 19 SIM in anything other than my handset)

Voice Charge Details
Service Number: 04xxxxxxxx
Call Summary
National Call: 9 calls 930 seconds $18.81
Mobile Call: 7 calls 360 seconds $8.64
SMS: 3 SMS 3 SMS $0.75
Other DATA Charge: 27 sessions 21.44 MB $30.71
Total: 46 calls $58.91

So you can see I certainly didn't even come close to using the entitlements under the cap plan
(It does show though how rapidly excess usage for data once you went over the included 200mb could hit you)

So I've sent off an email to Exetel Billing asking for it to be credited and await their answer

It appears something is going very wrong in the reporting Exetel are getting from Optus and passing onto customers - the strange thing is it was fine for the first two months and now I've been hit with this data charge

Has this happened to anyone else this month?
Last edited by bodogbodog on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Although the data charge is listed under the voice charge details (i.e. the breakdown), it got absorbed into the cap on my invoice. So it did not affect me.

Code: Select all

Call Summary

National Call: 1 calls  30 seconds  $0.88 
Mobile Call: 14 calls  1440 seconds  $29.15 
On-Net Mobile Call: 5 calls  300 seconds  $6.88 
On-Net SMS: 18 SMS  18 SMS  $4.50 
SMS: 31 SMS  31 SMS  $7.75 
Data Usage: 974 sessions  61.844 MB  $17.02 
Free Usage From Social Network: 1 sessions  0.011 MB  $0.00 

Total: 1044 calls   $66.18
Summary of charges on Page 1 of invoice that related to CAP

Code: Select all

Quantity Item Description Unit Price (inc-GST) Total (inc-GST)
1  Monthly Charge On Plan CAP19 For February 2011 - 04xxxxxxxx $19.00 $19.00  
1  Mobile Cap Plan Voice Charges For January 2011 - 04xxxxxxxxx $0.00 $0.00
1  ADSL Discount From Mobile Cap Plan CAP19 - 04xxxxxxxx $-10.00 $-10.00 

My invoice does balance out.