Optus (CAP35) + HTC Desire - MMS Generic Network Failure

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
numptyNiels

Optus (CAP35) + HTC Desire - MMS Generic Network Failure

Post by numptyNiels » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi guys,

I have a HTC Desire (bought from Hong Kong) running Froyo (un-rooted per factory) on the Optus Cap 35 plan. Previously I was with Three and sporadically had an issue sending and receiving MMS, specifically when sending messages I would get a variety of error messages but the main one was "Generic Network Failure", other favourites was "Message has expired or timed out". After a service call with Three that lasted 12 weeks I gave up, canceled and bought this Optus sim card through Exetel.

I now have basically the same problem except I can't send or receive any MMS (compared to previously being able to receive some), when sending I get the "Generic Network Failure" message, when receiving I'll receive the text part of the message but will be unable to download the MMS component.

I'm pretty sure this is an issue with the handset given its an issue over 2 networks and raised a support call with HTC and after doing a factory reset but still having these issues they've put this back on Optus saying its something to do with the network.

Is there anything that can be checked to confirm that the problem is indeed at the handset end and/or anything I could try on my handset to fix it?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Transcript of the support calls and my current APN settings are below;

Steps taken (in exact order).
1. Backup up phone data, turned phone off and removed SD card.
2. Erased user data through the factory reset (turning phone on holding volume-down button and resetting).
3. Started phone up and went through initial setup, allowing access to internet via wireless network.
4. Put in the MMS settings for my carrier (Please note my carrier is Optus via Exetel, not Three). Setup was verbatim from Exetel;
1. On the handset, tap on the tab display on the screen.
2. Tap the Settings icon.
3. Tap Wireless controls.
4. Tap Mobile networks.
5. Tap Access Point Names.
6. Press Menu button.
7. Tap New APN.
8. Tap Name.
9. Enter Optus MMS. Tap OK.
10. Tap APN.
11. Enter mms. Tap OK
12. Tap Username.
13. Enter . Tap OK. (NOTE: I have taken this to be add a blank space as user name i.e. ' ')
14. Tap Password.
15. Enter . Tap OK (NOTE: I have taken this to be add a blank space as password i.e. ' ')
16. Tap MMSC.
17. Enter http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/. Tap OK.
18. Tap MMS Proxy.
19. Enter 61.88.190.10 Tap OK.
20. Tap MMS port.
21. Enter 8070. Tap OK.
22. Press Back.
23. Press Home icon to go back to main page.

5. The only change I made was instead of at #22 pressing back I pressed Menu --> Save. Under the APNs I now have Optus MMS with an unchecked white radio button on the right hand side.

6. I then powered down my phone, put the SD card back in and powered back up.
7. Through the standard message application I composed a new message to a friend, and added a picture taken from the camera, added a subject and pressed send.
8. About 2 minutes later an error message appears, "Unable to send message. Retrying" then 'Generic network failure' underneath that. This message then reappears every few minutes until I power down.
9. Doing the same and disabling wireless internet access does the same.
10. I sent a MMS from another phone and nothing has been received.

Seeing none of this worked I assumed it was due to the lack of a data connection, so I added exetel's data APN:

1. Under APN's clicked menu --> restore to default. The Optus MMS has now gone and nothing is there.
2. Menu --> New APN
Name: internet
APN: INTERNET
Clicked Save
3. The 'internet' APN has now appeared with a white radio button, I've clicked on the button to make it go green.
4. Data is now available, next to signal bar I'm getting the up/down arrow with 'H' or '3G' - it tends to oscillate. Pulling up the internet I can go to a site.
5. Re-added the Optus MMS APN using the same instructions per above.
6. After clicking save there is now Optus MMS in the menu with a white circle (unchecked) and internet with a green circle (checked).
7. Rebooted phone for the sake of it, settings under APNs are still the same and data is connected.
8. Tried to send a MMS again through the same approach as above, again same error message appears approx 2 minutes after sending, and then same a few minutes later.
9. Deleted message, rebooted and sent myself an MMS from another phone with a 120Kb image attached. Again confirmed message sent (in sent items and not outbox) and waited 5 minutes.
10. Received an error message "Message not downloaded" with 'Unknown error' showing underneath.
11. Opening up messages there is a message from the other phone contact with the details:
Message size: 129KB
Expires: Jan 23
And a button to download, there is no text content other than the subject. The same error as above re-occurs every minute or so.

As previously mentioned this is pretty much the same behaviour of errors I was received with the 3 sim card in the phone, the only difference was the 3 sim card would occasionally allow MMS message to both be sent and received (sometimes with or without error messages).

My only other thought was the phone was purchased in Hong Kong and as such has the Asian locale's as settings (by default the phone is set to English - Singapore under the intial setup). Could this be affecting Australian carrier settings?

And to confirm APN settings:

MMS APN
Name: Optus MMS
APN: mms
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: (one character of blank space i.e. ' ' )
Password: * (one character of blank space i.e. ' ' )
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
MMS proxy: 61.88.190.10
MMS port: 8070
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 505
MNC: 02
Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP
APN type: <Not set>

InternetAPN
Name: internet
APN: INTERNET
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: <Not set>
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
MCC: 505
MNC: 02
Authentication Type: PAP or CHAP
APN type: <Not set>

Thanks very much

samarium

Re: Optus (CAP35) + HTC Desire - MMS Generic Network Failure

Post by samarium » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:30 pm

My MMS apn also has:

proxy=202.139.83.152
port=8070
username=password=server=*
apn type=mms

I have recieved a MMS on this, and I was surprised as I didn't think exetel HPSA plans has a working mms component, but that might be ancient history.

I don't recall ever trying to send anything.

My phone is a N1.

pox67

Post by pox67 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:10 pm

samarium wrote:My MMS apn also has:

proxy=202.139.83.152
port=8070
apn type=mms

I have recieved a MMS on this, and I was surprised as I didn't think exetel HPSA plans has a working mms component, but that might be ancient history.

My phone is a N1.
Interesting, I have a HTC Desire HD and never got MMS working with my HSPA WMA plan. Like numptyNiels I entered the Optus MMS settings which I got from the Optus web site. These didn't work.

Samarium I just entered proxy=202.139.83.152 port=8070 in the same Optus MMS APN but I couldn't download MMS's that people had already sent me. Just to be sure you now have both proxy fields populated in the APN, Proxy and MMS Proxy?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:07 pm

numptyNiels wrote: Is there anything that can be checked to confirm that the problem is indeed at the handset end and/or anything I could try on my handset to fix it?
got a friend on Optus that has working MMS? if you do perhaps try your SIM in their phone and see if MMS works, should tell you straight away if your handset is the issue or not (does sound like it is from what you've said so far)

samarium

Post by samarium » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:43 pm

pox67 wrote:
samarium wrote:My MMS apn also has:

proxy=202.139.83.152
port=8070
apn type=mms

My phone is a N1.
Interesting, I have a HTC Desire HD and never got MMS working with my HSPA WMA plan. Like numptyNiels I entered the Optus MMS settings which I got from the Optus web site. These didn't work.

Samarium I just entered proxy=202.139.83.152 port=8070 in the same Optus MMS APN but I couldn't download MMS's that people had already sent me. Just to be sure you now have both proxy fields populated in the APN, Proxy and MMS Proxy?

I said "also". My MMS APN, like the original one, has:

I am using plan WM-A, and have received the grand total of 1 MMS. As I said, I was surprised it worked myself.

dleonard0

Post by dleonard0 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:03 am

Could it be this? http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1233 (internal db corruption when receiving some MMS messages)

pox67

Post by pox67 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:09 am

samarium wrote: I said "also". My MMS APN, like the original one, has:

I am using plan WM-A, and have received the grand total of 1 MMS. As I said, I was surprised it worked myself.
OK, I put in those extra settings but still get Generic Network Failure when trying to download a MMS.
dleonard0 wrote:Could it be this? http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=1233 (internal db corruption when receiving some MMS messages)
No it sounds like a different issue, I get Generic Network Failure when trying to download the MMS.

numptyNiels

Post by numptyNiels » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:58 am

FYI in my case; after several months of bouncing between Exetel/Optus in checking and rechecking the APN settings the foregone conclusion was a handset fault.

Similarly I spent an equal amount of time of back'n'forth e-mails with HTC who believed the issue lies at the network provider's end. Given that I was formerly on Three with this handset and experienced the same issue (though sporadically c.f. all the time) I would tend to think at minimum there is an issue with the handset - hardware, software or configuration... who know's?

My model of phone (HTC Desire A8181) was guaranteed to work on the Australian (non-Telstra, for that you need A8183) networks however it was in fact a model that originated in Indonesia according to HTC - I wouldn't be surprised that the problem may well break down to the Optus network is setup in a way that is not comparable to the model and I was simply not told the truth about compatibility. Thankfully at least its only MMS which is relatively a minor irritation.

Either way I have taken this up with my vendor and have sent the phone back to them to be inspected for a potential warranty claim. If there's interest I'll post how it goes and whether there is something conclusive regarding the cause of this fault.