Tethering has been deactivated

Mobile phone plans, SIM card activation and porting issue
warennie

Tethering has been deactivated

Post by warennie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 pm

Hey Exetel staff,
I'm on a CAP35 plan, runs through Optus.
OPTUS carrier settings 9.0 on my iPhone 4
Tethering has been working perfectly in the past, but when i went to use it today it didn't work.

The button has converted to "Set Up Internet Tethering"
When pressed it says "To enable tethering on this account, contact OPTUS"

It was working fine less than a week ago, I'm a frequent user of tethering so would like to get this problem sorted.

Any clue as to what the problem might be or how it can be fixed?

Many thanks, Will.

bodogbodog

Re: Tethering has been deactivated

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:24 pm

can I suggest you read this thread - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37405 - you need to be very careful on how you are using the Data component on the CAPx plans - if you are deemed to be "tethering" on a CAPx plan you may well be charged for your data use over and above the CAP price Edit - I am incorrect in saying that - clarifcation in my post below
I''m still working through an issue with Exetel where I was charged for all my data used in January on a CAP19 plan - because Optus reckon I was using the data as a tethered device. I was not and the only data usage I had was with the SIM in my Win6.1 mobile phone to browse Facebook and other sites and use Google Maps - however the claim / statement from Optus to Exetel is that I used the phone tethered for data and therefore all data is chargeable.
I am working with Exetel to resolve this as something is messed up and I can't accpet being charged for my data usage each month when using the phone to browse the web
Last edited by bodogbodog on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

warennie

Post by warennie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:12 pm

To clarify, my iPhone is being plugged into my laptop via USB and tethered.
What i understood from the link provided above was the user was putting the simcard into their laptop and arguing it was a 'mobile' device.
Correct me if im wrong, but i dont believe my situation relates.
My situation uses the iPhones 3g network to transmit and receive data which is transferred to my laptop, virtually identical as to if the data was transferred on the iPhones safari browser.

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:50 pm

warennie wrote:Correct me if im wrong, but i dont believe my situation relates.
I can't answer that for sure - but I do know how data is used on the CAPx plans is a touchy subject - a 'clarification" email was sent out by Exetel a month or so back to advise customers on how they could use the CAPx data

Based on that email it looks like you are ok to use tethering on a CAPx plan - see point a) in the extract from the message below:

To clear up any confusion regarding data charges on the Exetel Mobile Cap (via Optus) and Exetel HSPA (via Optus) plans, please be advised of the following.
a) If you are on an Exetel Mobile Cap plan (via Optus network) and you are using the SIM in a mobile device (ie mobile handset) --
- data charges are INCLUDED in the cap worth. This is also true when tethering using a mobile device.
b) If you are on an Exetel Mobile Cap plan (via Optus network) and you are using the SIM in a non-mobile device (ie USB stick) --
- data charges are NOT INCLUDED in the cap worth. Data is charged IN ADDITION to the Cap.
c) If you are on an Exetel HSPA (via Optus network) plan, tethering may be possible depending on your handset. We can only confirm it is not possible using an iPhone.
d) If you are on an Exetel (via Vodafone) mobile plan, this email does not concern you. Please ignore.

warennie

Post by warennie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 pm

Anyway... Problem still persists.

I CANT TETHER AT ALL. Not concerned about tethering the wrong way and being charged, I just simply cant tether because it says i need to contact optus.

I dont feel i should contact optus considering im not a customer, so exetel im asking you :)

Thanks.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:33 pm

warennie wrote:Anyway... Problem still persists.

I CANT TETHER AT ALL. Not concerned about tethering the wrong way and being charged, I just simply cant tether because it says i need to contact optus.

I dont feel i should contact optus considering im not a customer, so exetel im asking you :)

Thanks.
that's just a generic message, Optus would only refer you back to Exetel anyway, that said though you need to open a support ticket to ask, the forum is not an official support channel

warennie

Post by warennie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Shall do thanks. I tried opening a ticket but none of the options were relevant... It seemed more about HSPA and such.

warennie

Post by warennie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:16 pm

Ticket reply:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Please note that we are no longer providing tethering service for Optus CAP plans.

Regards,

Amila F
Support Engineer
Exetel Pty Ltd

Seems exetel are no longer supporting tethering, which is odd because its identical to mobile data usage.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:49 pm

warennie wrote:
Seems exetel are no longer supporting tethering, which is odd because its identical to mobile data usage.
if they are not it would have something to do with Optus not allowing it, Exetel have always held the position of use your service for anything (legal) that you want, no restrictions etc, any restrictions in place have only ever been as a result of whatever the carrier implements

bodogbodog

Post by bodogbodog » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Might be worth checking out this post in another thread by JamesR @ viewtopic.php?f=59&t=37682&start=15#p288194
I don't have an iPhone but it sounds like a similar issue and a solution for it